Edward

Re: Is it worth buying on Farnell now?

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:32 am

Hi hi all,

I noticed that despite the "Supplier lead time" of  135 days on the UK Farnell website, there is still the option to buy a raspi now.

Just wanted to know if you thought there was any sense in me doing so, or should I wait untill they are actually available?

Cheers.

nick.mccloud

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:17 pm

You reserve your place in the queue. Farnell won't charge your card until shipping comes up. So nothing really to lose!

kbootb

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm

My thoughts at the moment...I'm not a developer, I'll be one of the teachers using this in the classroom if it develops the way I hope it will.

As I understand it, the current phase is for developers and there will be a more 'mature' package available soon, with SD cards with OS on that has had most of the wrinkles ironed out.

So I'm hanging on till someone tells me that we are at that point, and can order multiple boards for a class set.

I hope I'm being sensible by hanging back.

TheCrazyInventor

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Well, the thing is… People are reporting estimated delivery dates in august right now, so I'd say order at least one unit now so you can experiment a little yourself. There is nothing in the "more mature" pack that you can't buy yourself (eg. keyboard/mouse/monitor/SD card/power adapter), except for a case.
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Edward, and welcome (love the cartoon by the way!),

It depends what you want to do with it.

If you want to experiment, perhaps start to decide how you are going to use it in the classroom, then order one now.

Alternatively, you can simulate/emulate the 'Pi environment to a fair degree of accuracy on a PC using Qemu, but then again, by the time the next batch is available, and the distributors are able to fulfill the outstanding demand, the 'Pi drought may well be over, and they will be available in bulk quantities to anyone who wants them. As nmcc said above, there is no harm in ordering now, although it might not make much difference to your eventual delivery date.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Edward said:

Hi hi all,

I noticed that despite the "Supplier lead time" of  135 days on the UK Farnell website, there is still the option to buy a raspi now.

Just wanted to know if you thought there was any sense in me doing so, or should I wait untill they are actually available?

Cheers.

Very amusing cartoon, but since this forum is intended to be used by younger people, would it be possible to replace the bad language with something less rude. I'm leaving  it up for the moment, in the hope there is a replacement…failing that, it might have to go.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Lakes

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Maybe replace it with "Fecker" good enough for Father Ted 

grumpyoldgit

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:49 pm

or MoFo?

Phil Spiegel

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:36 pm

or simply blank the word out ... and leave it to the reader's imagination entirely!

That way, differing language attitudes around the world can be supported

grumpyoldgit

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Not really. It's the juxtaposition of the two individuals which makes it funny. And then him say something unexpected. A bit like the Queen saying sh*t.

Phil Spiegel

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:12 pm

But HMQ simply wouldn't ... so that doesn't apply

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Phil Spiegel said:

...but how do you KNOW she wouldn't? ...

grumpyoldgit

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Or even the treasured Stephen Fry.

Smartybones

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:10 pm

just to add my 2c...

yeah, order one now, you have nothing to loose, and it will also give Farnell/RS a more accurate indication of the number of boards that need to be made.

If everyone that wanted one didn't place an order now, and chose to wait until they were actually shipping then its likely to cause a 2nd wave drought of boards.

regards the cartoon in the sig, Excellent.

My thoughts though on the use of expletives, (I refuse to use the term bad language), is that they do have a place in life. I think if someone cusses constantly then it reduces its impact. My Missus knows that if I use any expletives that it is to highlight the emotion of what I am saying.

In the cartoon, the fact that the professor type person uses such a crass phrase to a person that is the more typical source of the expletive and the "how I roll" phrase is the comedy element. to remove it reduces the comedy value so for the  target audience of the board it will need modifying to something more acceptable.

the term MOFO was used as suggested it would not detract from the comedy element at all, but even that, as it has the exact same interpretation, it still may not be acceptable.Its the same as replacing letters with astrix, it still remains the same word so you may as well leave it in its original form

adlambert

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Anyone who is worried about kids seeing that cartoon should note that in the real world kids are more likely to teach you that word than be offended by it. I hear that word most often when I am working in schools.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Lynbarn said:

Phil Spiegel said:

...but how do you KNOW she wouldn't? ...

She's his mum
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:29 pm

smartybones said:

the term MOFO was used as suggested it would not detract from the comedy element at all,

I think changing it in any way would ruin the joke completely. The whole point is the pernickety professor type would not use an abbreviation. That would be against the point of the entire joke about writing correctly. I think it can't be adulterated. It should either stand or be deleted. Nothing in between.

(Tempted to chuck in a comedy expletive, but restraining self )
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Smartybones

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:31 pm

adlambert said:

Anyone who is worried about kids seeing that cartoon should note that in the real world kids are more likely to teach you that word than be offended by it. I hear that word most often when I am working in schools.

But on this forum, we are not in the real world, we are on a forum that is moderated to a set of rules. Its the board owners choice what's allowed or not allowed.

tufty

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 pm

But it's just American slang for "Dad", right?

/coat

bwoodbury

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:52 pm

I have no personal problem with the cartoon. It is very funny but the forum netiquette states

"Postings must not contain anything untoward.

Please remember that we have a lot of minors reading the Forum – please keep postings suitable for reading by older children.  That means free from profanity, explicit innuendo and adult themes, references to drug use, etc.  Basically, think family safe: PG / PG-13 / K-12  rating."

I could probably find a number of very funny cartoons that violate all of those restrictions and post them in context, but that doesn't make it ok

JordyB123

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:35 pm

tufty said:

/coat

*Facepalm*

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 am

tufty said:

/coat

You Sir, win the internet for today ;-p
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 am

bwoodbury said:

I have no personal problem with the cartoon. It is very funny but the forum netiquette states

"Postings must not contain anything untoward.

Please remember that we have a lot of minors reading the Forum – please keep postings suitable for reading by older children.  That means free from profanity, explicit innuendo and adult themes, references to drug use, etc.  Basically, think family safe: PG / PG-13 / K-12  rating."

I could probably find a number of very funny cartoons that violate all of those restrictions and post them in context, but that doesn't make it ok

Exactly. I have removed other posts for milder expletives, so I really think this needs to change or I will remove it. Sorry, it is funny, but I don't want to be selective about applying the rules - that's not fair.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

piglet

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 am

When the Die hard series was aired on TV in the UK that word was over-dubbed to "Mouth forker".

It didn't really work that well, but must have been enough for the censors.

bwoodbury

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Farnell updated the FAQ on the Element 14 website today as follows

UPDATED AT 8:51 am GMT 26 March

Q.  What is the latest update ?

A. COMPLIANCE TESTING - Over the weekend, Raspberry Pi provide us with an update on the compliance testing needed for the Model B boards. Originally, they had intended to defer compliance testing until the release of the cased educational boards. But, as demand has been so high for even the uncased version, we've agreed that this testing should happen now instead of later. Raspberry Pi did a first trial run in a test chamber and will have a detailed technical update for us in the next few days. It is still too early to say what this will mean for deliveries and we hope any impact will be minimal. The first batch of boards are due to arrive in the UK this week. We are working closely with the guys from the Raspberry Pi Foundation to understand how this compliance testing will impact delivery dates for our customers and the impact, if any, on future orders that were originally expected to be delivered in April, May and June. We will communicate to all of our Raspberry Pi customers in the coming days once the testing is underway and we have a clearer picture. To view the full raspberry Pi update by Eben Upton, please click here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/852

Return to “General discussion”