ledow

Re: New RS Email - Compliance?

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm sure they just wait until 4:30 on a Friday so nobody will read it until Monday, but just in case you haven't seen it.

Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!
Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.
Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being tested to make sure it conforms to all the regulations that apply to electronic devices around the world. This means that we can be sure the Raspberry Pi we deliver to you meets the correct standards and is as safe as you would expect any electronic device you purchase to be.
We’re working with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to manage the testing process as quickly as possible, while ensuring all tests are carried out to guarantee safety. More information is being posted on the Raspberry Pi website , as well as on our own FAQ pages rswww.com or DesignSpark. We’re also regularly tweeting updates on progress. Follow @RSElectronics on twitter to catch the latest news.
Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the initial batch of boards. In next week’s update, we’ll provide more information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.

The TL;DR version (or at least, my translation):  Still no news.  But we have some excuse about CE (I presume) testing this time round to make you think that something that should have already happened isn't really because we're still delaying your delivery.

ArborealSeer

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:57 pm

dont believe its new..? but i just got it, as did a coworker.. i posted in the 'release dates thread though as this might disappear
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

stuartlea

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:01 pm

You do not "start" compliance testing after you've got 10k units built. I'm the engineering manager for an electronics company and I'd have been fired for doing such a thing.

Post production testing, yes. But someone please tell me that they aren't just starting compliance testing now.

Funar

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice this new thread when I started my own.  I have the same job as Stuart and I totally agree.

Compliance is tricky as the manufacturer and distributor have different obligations.  In addition, different countries have different standards and requirements to adhere to.

stuartlea

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Funar said:

Sorry, I didn't notice this new thread when I started my own.  I have the same job as Stuart and I totally agree.

Compliance is tricky as the manufacturer and distributor have different obligations.  In addition, different countries have different standards and requirements to adhere to.

I was under the impression the RS and Farnell were distributors and manufacturers to a certain extent. I may have this wrong and they may only be picking up the manufacturing after the first batch. Even so, the implication was that this was the start of compliance testing which frightened the life out of me. I've spent too many days getting boards compliance tested by external bodies to give me nightmares for many a year.

Funar

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:25 pm

Stuart Lea said:

I've spent too many days getting boards compliance tested by external bodies to give me nightmares for many a year.

Heading to the US tomorrow morning to do that very thing!  I'd rather it was someone else, to be honest .

But I'm with you, it's the quantities that we are talking about here that is scary.

stuartlea

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Good luck, mate. I feel your pain!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:41 pm

The initial batch are classed as dev boards, and under that heading don't require compliance testing. Future batches will require compliance testing. I believe the testing is already ongoing anyway.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Funar

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 pm

JamesH said:

The initial batch are classed as dev boards, and under that heading don't require compliance testing. Future batches will require compliance testing. I believe the testing is already ongoing anyway.

OK thanks for the clarification James.  Just out of curiosity, what standards are they testing to?

Lynbarn

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 pm

There is a parallel thread on this subject, at http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ce-testing which also makes some interesting points. To concentrate the conversations in one place, I've locked the other one (this being the first-born of the two twins), but please read through the posts there as well as continuing to contribute here.

GoingPostal13

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:41 pm

JamesH said:

So why hasn't the first batch shipped yet?

The launch was on 29th Feb, then the manufacturing hiccup on 8th March (understandably out of RPi's control, but known prior to this) and it was stated that it was a "very minor problem to fix" and  "the factory is nearly done", yet we're now nearly a month on and no further down the road.

I hope you can sort out the issues ASAP, but please keep your supporters in the loop

romilly

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:23 pm

The delay is annoying, but I'm certain that it is every bit as annoying to the people  who run the Foundation as it is to those of us who are waiting for a board.

And if you need cheering up, there is some serious research that shows that the pleasure you will experience when your Pi arrives will have been greatly increased by the delays and excitements you've experienced.

Good things come to those who wait.
http://blog.rareschool.com/

GoingPostal13

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Sorry but that's horse ****

The R-Pi may be a charity, but it's still a business - the launch was on 29th Feb officially and they've yet to ship anything. And the foundation is not telling us anything as to why this is the case. It's now taken an email from RS to reveal yet a further delay, a delay I'm fairly certain was already know about.

Sinclair QL springs to mind.

cabbage

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:46 pm

GoingPostal13 said:

(snip)
Sinclair QL springs to mind.

Interesting example. Without the QL, we might have had no Linux...

romilly

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:46 pm

@GoingPostal13

The Foundation told us about the MagJack problem - not immediately, but as soon as they knew the direct impact.

The Foundation has told us about the compliance delay - not immediately, but as soon as they had a sense of the impact.

If I'm wrong, please spell out the facts.
http://blog.rareschool.com/

dutchgypsy

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 pm

honestly, ive lost any hope for the raspberry pi and the RS letter was the icing. Add the letter that said my new price is $45 and change, the other that says may 14th ship date after my march 30th original, the ethernet jack story, etc and im pretty sure you end up with never going to happen... ive already been waiting a few years so i suppose its not that big a deal but why get my hopes up with an order if there were never any boards ready? also, who gets vacation a week or two after launch? it just seems like the true plan was to release them later so why not allow the pre order but clearly tell me itll be a while... if it arrived early id be thrilled and if not i would just be satisfied that my order was filled. about a month ago i was sure id have one by april for $35 now im not sure when ill have one or how much itll actually cost me. sorry but im finally annoyed.

SvenP

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:49 pm

I find it worthwhile to note that Gmail did put this communication from RS directly in the spam folder.

spurious

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:07 pm

resistance is futile

itsonlyme

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I presume that no orders have yet been placed with the manufacturer by RS (and Farnell?) as any modifcation necessary if Raspi fails the tests may leave them liable for extra manufactures costs.

This is presumably is why nobody is giving out any information about manufacture quantities and dates.

Once a little annoyed but understanding. Now very much annoyed and trying really hard to be poilite and avoid swearing at all organisations involved.

This certification should have been done before launch

A very good way of loosing customer loyalty and goodwill.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:50 pm

The reason it was not done before launch is that it is not necessary... in the UK, if the RaspPi is seen as a development board, which was the purpose of the developer release.

However with the world and his wife clamouring for a RaspPi and the factories poised to make millions of the beasts, maybe it might be a good idea to get the paperwork done now.

It is still aggravating though, and as PR it is hopeless. I would have preferred them to get the 10K out, maybe limiting them to the territories where it was legal as a development/OEM component. The certification could then have delayed the next batch fairly transparently.

it is not as if they are going to be able to make much in the way of changes to the 10K.

johnbeetem

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:12 pm

How do they do compliance testing on an unpackaged board anyway?  I thought compliance testing had to be at the system level, i.e., with boards and other components inside a case, and often with cables attached.  This is one of the reasons development boards like BeagleBoard are not compliance tested, and it's the end user's responsibility to fix any complaints about radiation or other ills.

Does this mean we're getting cases?  Well, I'm looking forward to a clear explanation of this on the front page one of these days.

Lynbarn

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 pm

romilly said:

@GoingPostal13

The Foundation told us about the MagJack problem - not immediately, but as soon as they knew the direct impact.

The Foundation has told us about the compliance delay - not immediately, but as soon as they had a sense of the impact.

If I'm wrong, please spell out the facts.

Actually, RS has stated that they have decided to go for compliance testing, according to their email. Liz (in a comment on the blog) has said that she will post a statement on the blog in response, but Farnell have said nothing - are they going for compliance too, or will they be shipping theirs out uncertified?

Frank Buss

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 pm

And would be interesting to hear something about the other regulations, like CE and WEEE for Europe, and all the other regulations required for different countries. I hope this will not delay it even more. Some regulations, like WEEE, don't care, if you label it as a development board. If the authorities think it is not a development board, then you can't do anything about it and you have to register (which means the usual administraton delay for the paper work) and pay for WEEE (expensive in Germany).

jacklang

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:38 pm

We are WEEE compliant and certified, and lead free

ronnylov

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Even though the initial boards are dev boards I don't think you are allowed to put them on the European market (actually to sell them in Europe) without a CE mark. In order to have a CE mark you should have a declaration of conformity to relevant standards. And if requested by authorities you should be able to show a technical file describing how it is compliant with relevant standards.

I wonder how you can be sure that the product is compliant before the  compliance testing has been performed?

Return to “General discussion”