fos

Re: I'll probably decline my RPi Farnell order

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:38 pm

I'll sure take his order!

This is a developmental board, not a MacBook Pro. Give me a break!

fos
https://faroutscience.com

lewmur

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 pm

selectany said:

It is a forum. We all share opinions here. This is my opinion. It seams you don't like it but who cares?!

If I were to use the Apple forums to "express my opinion" that iPads are way overrated,  it would be considered "tr0lling".  How does your using this forum to express your disapproval of the Pi differ?  It obviously serves no useful purpose.

hippy

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:05 pm

nickorossa said:

Personally I too think those that simply want the Raspberry Pi for a media centre are completely missing the point of the device.

Probably. I've always admitted the Foundation's aims are rather secondary to me, the price and what the R-Pi can do for me is why I'm interested in it. The Foundation's aims are admirable, and it's great if some good is done through my purchase, but that's it.

I suspect most also saw "An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25" tag line and thought they'd get in on the action of a cheap and reasonably powerful PC without a second thought as to what the Foundation's aims and motivations were.

The silver lining is that it doesn't matter if people do miss the point, maybe never know what it is; every sale of the R-Pi helps the Foundation towards its goals. Everyone's happy.

Lob0426

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:47 pm

What I think is funny is that so many people want the RasPi for streamers or players. I really do not think the majority of them have an idea how much work they are in for!. While they distro from XBMC is going to help a lot, they are still going to have to develop some new skills. Unless of course the developers of that distro start selling pre made SD cards.

So we have one person here posting that he is going to drop out of line. There are what? 200,000+ orders. And there are almost 15,000 registered members. So the odds are at 1 in 15,000 that people will drop out of line if the delays keep piling up. That is about 6.6 per hundred thousand. Not going to improve anyone"s odds too much I think! Of course we are not hearing from the 185,000 that are not posting in this forum either.

There are still going to be a lot of RasPii that are going to end up in drawers at the end of all of this. I hope some of those will be handed over to kids to figure out what to do with them, not gather dust in those junk drawers!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

SN

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Well my wife works in a school, and I was previously a school governor for 14 years. I"m considering offering my skills to support the "computing team" on a voluntary basis especially if the raspi gets some traction.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Tass

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Lob0426 said:

There are still going to be a lot of RasPii that are going to end up in drawers at the end of all of this. 

Maybe the Foundation can head up a "Donate your unwanted Pi to a participating school" program?

Morgaine

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:20 am

There are plenty of reasons not to get an Rpi, just like there are plenty of reasons to get one.  The decision to buy is correct when the device matches your requirements, and otherwise it's not the right decision, regardless of hype.

Both the reasons for and the reasons against can be listed objectively, and this would make a valuable resource for an Rpi wiki page or a pinned forum article.  Hopefully we'll have something like this once the new software arrives.

It's certainly not the case that listing valid reasons not to get an Rpi constitutes "trolling".  It takes a deeply biased person to think that they are being trolled when someone lists factual pro/con information.

Hopefully that's not the case here though.  Reasons for and against are both valuable, and providing them will help people to make the right decision.  The original poster has clearly made a rational decision, and that's good to know and may be valuable to others who share his requirements.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

selectany

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:26 am

Morgaine said:

Hopefully that"s not the case here though.  Reasons for and against are both valuable, and providing them will help people to make the right decision.  The original poster has clearly made a rational decision, and that"s good to know and may be valuable to others who share his requirements.

Exactly, and as I said before:

I post this because there are many people intending to use RPi as HTPC.

English is not my natural language, and I cannot express myself very good, but I think it was good enough. And more, I respect RPi foundation's efforts, and didn't mean to offend anyone at all.

I'm sure I will buy RPi, but not at this moment.

danielverza

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Morgaine said:

There are plenty of reasons not to get an Rpi, just like there are plenty of reasons to get one.  The decision to buy is correct when the device matches your requirements, and otherwise it"s not the right decision, regardless of hype.

Both the reasons for and the reasons against can be listed objectively, and this would make a valuable resource for an Rpi wiki page or a pinned forum article.  Hopefully we"ll have something like this once the new software arrives.

It"s certainly not the case that listing valid reasons not to get an Rpi constitutes "trolling".  It takes a deeply biased person to think that they are being trolled when someone lists factual pro/con information.

Hopefully that"s not the case here though.  Reasons for and against are both valuable, and providing them will help people to make the right decision.  The original poster has clearly made a rational decision, and that"s good to know and may be valuable to others who share his requirements.

Morgaine.

This.

I think it's in everyone's best interest to gather as much knowledge about the Pi as possible. Including what it is *not* good for.

This will help others make their decision more objectivelly.

As long as the discussion remains civil, we all gain from it !

abishur

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Daniel Ferreira said:

This.

I think it's in everyone's best interest to gather as much knowledge about the Pi as possible. Including what it is *not* good for.

This will help others make their decision more objectivelly.

As long as the discussion remains civil, we all gain from it !

+1!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”