Morgaine

IPv6 and ip6tables very important

Sun May 13, 2012 4:15 am

lb wrote:IPv6 is in a major deployment phase *right now* (end-user ISPs are adopting it), and I also think it's pretty shortsighted to disable it by default. Moreover, the recently published RFC 6540 mandates that all IP-capable nodes must have IPv6 support. "IP" is now officially synonymous with "IPv6".

It's only a simple switch and won't take much memory, why not enable it for the next release of the Debian image?
I agree with this completely, and support the suggestion too.

Linux has been IPv6-capable for longer than any other operating system, and disabling it when it's leading the pack is definitely shortsighted. Also, it's bad for education, since IPv4 is almost out of addresses and we need the new generation of youngsters to be IPv6-aware.

In the UK, some ISPs like Andrews & Arnold have been offering IPv6 to all users for 10 years already, and many others are following. Not surprisingly the largest ISPs are the slowest to modernize, but Pi should be supporting the best not the worst of them.

All the machines on my LAN are running IPv6 dual stack, and I'll certainly be recompiling my Pi kernel with IPv6 enabled (board not expected before June though). And lest anyone forget, you need to configure in the IPv6 version of Netfilter and install the ip6tables control utility too, as the IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls are entirely separate in Linux.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

Jancis

Re: IPv6 in the bcmrpi kernel patches (and Debian/Arch distr

Sun May 13, 2012 8:19 am

i second this. amongst all bytes that are included on distro, ipv6 is one of core features that has to be there. even if it's compiled as module. we have to do those router double-configurations just because people still stick to ipv4.

lb

Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 am

Bump?

Currently lots of people have to compile their own kernels just to get IPv6 support, which is definitely not great. Just enabling CONFIG_IPV6 and CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY is enough to get it going, why not do that in the precompiled kernel?

faker_

Wed May 30, 2012 6:26 pm

I was really surprised to find no IPv6 support in the Debian image.

Next week is World IPv6 Launch (http://www.worldipv6launch.org/).
Wouldn't it be great to participate by releasing/announcing a new image with IPv6 support? ;)

lb

Thu May 31, 2012 9:43 am

The latest kernel rebuild now has IPv6 support. Just load the "ipv6" kernel module. Works great for me. Thanks to whoever did that.

faker_

Thu May 31, 2012 10:03 am

I'm pretty sure I'm using the debian6-19-04-2012 image which doesn't have a ipv6 module.
Which image are you talking about? Arch Linux?

lb

Thu May 31, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm talking about the prebuilt kernel available from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware. You can use the rpi-update script to get it or update it manually. This should work with most distributions for the Pi.

Note: the new bootloader/firmware seems to be buggy... framebuffer initialization doesn't work correctly. But the new kernel works with the previous version of the bootloader. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon. EDIT: Apparently, a few minutes ago this was corrected.

faker_

Thu May 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Cool! Didn't know that.

FYI: the rpi-update uses a clone of the official repo.
So it doesn't update yet to the IPv6 enabled version.
Nevertheless that is great news!

Return to “General discussion”