willysnapper

Re: Firmware storage medium options.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 pm

As I don't use standard SD cards at all, I wondered if I could use some redundant 8GB class 4 Micro SDHC cards from phones in an SD adapter instead and then follow the published instructions for formatting and installing the OS.

Tass

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Yes, as far as the Pi is concerned there isn't any difference between an SD card and a MicroSD card in an adapter

willysnapper

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks Tass, just saves me having to invest in yet another storage format!!

Joe Schmoe

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 pm

There is text floating around that says that MicroSDs (in an adapter) don't work, but the consensus is that that's just an end-around way of saying that Class 10 cards don't (or might not) work - and that many/most MicroSDs are Class 10.  However, you explicitly stated that your cards are Class 4, so there should be no problem.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

abishur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:40 pm

The microSD card issue seems to be limited to the Fedora Remix distro and it's an issue they're trying to work out
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

willysnapper

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks Joe, I've been looking for a while now but not found any reference to any card types other than the standard SD.

Odd that the slower Micro card will work whilst the faster one doesn't.

willysnapper

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Abishur said:

The microSD card issue seems to be limited to the Fedora Remix distro and it's an issue they're trying to work out

Thanks Mat, I'm very much a linux newbie, so It'll be a while before I get round to trying the other flavours!

abishur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm only slightly higher than a beginner in Linux, but I'm really used to Ubuntu (which is a flavor of debian), so I'm planning on playing with debian.  The best advice for getting into linux I ever got was don't be afraid to trash your system... often   I might actually recommend going with debian on your first flight out with the r-pi.  I know the Fedora Remix (FR) is the official distro, but last I heard they haven't fully taken advantage of the GPU so things run a bit slow.  You might find you experience a little more rewarding if you go with Debian even if it's geared slightly more towards those who have some experience in linux

willysnapper

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:13 pm

I was just going off the "Raspberry Pi Tutorials" on YouTube which showed the Pi simulator in Virtual Box running Debian which I thought was the default OS.

My only experience of Linux has been with Mint 9 LXDE on a couple of 1998 vintage Thinkpad 600E machines.

When I received them they were attempting to run XP Pro without much success!

Mint ran like a greyhound in comparison, though I never could master the sound so it was a peaceful experience!

mobeyduck

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:22 pm

, but last I heard they haven't fully taken advantage of the GPU so things run a bit slow.

as far as i know That counts for all other distributions, the drivers just arnt available mabey not even made.

As for distro's i dont like debian with gui, works great on command line.

Ive tried Fedora for an hour or 3 but didnt like it as a os for my notebook was missing some things others did have

So at the moment im sticking to ubuntu as linux distro in yet an other try to go full linux.

As for the sd card, i wanted to try a micro usb with a adapter but the fedora remix installer didn't see it. my experiance with windows and sd cards isnt really good.

still have to try to use it with linux.

abishur

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 pm

mobeyduck said:

, but last I heard they haven't fully taken advantage of the GPU so things run a bit slow.

as far as i know That counts for all other distributions, the drivers just arnt available mabey not even made.

That is more or less accurate, but Debian is running faster because they are making better use of the GPU at this point in time than is FR

Return to “General discussion”