tobiz

Re: Boot without monitor?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm thinking of using  a Raspberry Pi as the basis for an RS232 to Ethernet adapter. However, it needs to be permanently running and initially boot without a monitor. I guess the permanently on bit is ok as it seems pretty low power, but what about booting without a monitor?  Once booted, access, when necessary could be via VNC or similar, eg SSH.  Can it be set to boot without a monitor?

bredman

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 pm

The monitor is not necessary. Most computing appliances (for example a firewall or NAS) run "headless" without any human interaction.

If you are building the Ethernet-serial project as a learning experience, that's OK. However if you are doing it for the price, you can get a very cheap pre-built solution. See for example http://www.lantronix.com/devic.....e-servers/ I have used the Xport Direct myself and it is fantastic.

tobiz

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. The lantronix devices look interesting and ok for cost.  I'll certainly consider it, your report is encouraging. The RPi alternative could still be 'fun' to do.

SN

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:23 pm

tobiz said:

The RPi alternative could still be 'fun' to do.

I think that sentiment is driving a lot of the project ideas on here - I actually think that if someone marketed an android phone with female USB socket on it you'd find a lot of the 'ideas' could have been hit that way
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

hyena

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 pm

you just need to install an ssh server on the linux distro on pi .. ive been running a slimmed down version of CLI (no gui) debian on a hacked plug device for a couple of years and find it easy .. i can even use ssh clients on my ipad or windows phone to administer it

for windows clients just google putty  and you can use putty as an ssh client and in the download will be Winscp which has a nice gui to do file transfers .. very straightforward

Gert van Loo

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 am

The debian images I use do not automatically start a windows system, so they don't spend any CPU cycles on that.

Also there is default a gettty running on the RS232 port , set to re-spawning. (Al of which I found out the hard way when I tried to use the UART).

So looks like you can use that for your application straight "out of the box."

Return to “General discussion”