ashleysands

Re: Can I use an iPad charger to power the raspberry pi?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:45 am

My iPad 1 power charger outputs 5.1 Volts and 2.1 amps. Is it bad that the charger has a higher volt rating than what the raspberry pi can handle?

Regards,

Ashley

Burngate

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am

5.1 V is within the USB spec, so that would be ok. And the 2.1 A is plenty for the RPi (which will only take what it needs)

Also, if it's a genuine Apple device, its quality should be good.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 am

And provided the lead for your iPad 1 power charger doesn't terminate in the bonkers proprietary iConnector.  If it's a microUSB that inserts into the iConnector then you'll be ok.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

pandapi

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 am

Jongoleur said:

And provided the lead for your iPad 1 power charger doesn't terminate in the bonkers proprietary iConnector.  If it's a microUSB that inserts into the iConnector then you'll be ok.

The ipad chargers (well the ipad 2 at least) is a plug with a standard usb port on it. You can detach the cable and charge any old usb thinger

abishur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:48 pm

pandapi said:

Jongoleur said:

The ipad chargers (well the ipad 2 at least) is a plug with a standard usb port on it. You can detach the cable and charge any old usb thinger

Well to be fair, even though it ends in a standard USB connection, it still ignores the USB standard for identifying itself as a high powered port.  USB standard states that a high powered USB port is identified by jumpering the data pins (some sources say you need to put a resistor between the pins).  Apple, in order to claim a proprietary design and charge licensing fees to any company wanting to make a charger for their devices, does this by using a series of resistors on the power lines.

I recently bought a car adapter that took a car charger port and gives two usb ports.  In order to get it to provide anything other than 100 mA I had to crack it open and solder the data pins together.  I'll be interested to see if the r-pi also has this issue, or if it was more a problem of my phone being too intelligent just to automatically take the power it needed.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ashleysands

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Burngate said:

5.1 V is within the USB spec, so that would be ok. And the 2.1 A is plenty for the RPi (which will only take what it needs)

Also, if it's a genuine Apple device, its quality should be good.

Thanks Burngate.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Abishur said:

I recently bought a car adapter that took a car charger port and gives two usb ports.  In order to get it to provide anything other than 100 mA I had to crack it open and solder the data pins together.
Thanks for pushing my face into it Abishur. Of course that's what I need to do to get mine working too. When I got it two years ago it just didn't work and it was a dark mystery that I did not want to get into; now suddenly I understand what is going on, why it doesn't work and how to make it work. The Raspberry Pi is already educating me, and it hasn't even been shipped yet.

abishur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:03 pm

rurwin said:

Abishur said:

I recently bought a car adapter that took a car charger port and gives two usb ports.  In order to get it to provide anything other than 100 mA I had to crack it open and solder the data pins together.

Thanks for pushing my face into it Abishur. Of course that's what I need to do to get mine working too. When I got it two years ago it just didn't work and it was a dark mystery that I did not want to get into; now suddenly I understand what is going on, why it doesn't work and how to make it work. The Raspberry Pi is already educating me, and it hasn't even been shipped yet.

While I should take your admiration and run with it, I'm a numbingly stupid honest man.  :-p  The only reason I knew this little tidbit was because someone in the review section of amazon wrote it out for me too   They even explained the fact that it wasn't a defect, it was specifically designed for iDevices so I even stole that little tidbit of knowledge
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ashleysands

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:12 am

Abishur said:

rurwin said:

Abishur said:

While I should take your admiration and run with it, I'm a numbingly stupid honest man.  :-p  The only reason I knew this little tidbit was because someone in the review section of amazon wrote it out for me too   They even explained the fact that it wasn't a defect, it was specifically designed for iDevices so I even stole that little tidbit of knowledge

At least you're honest Abishur.

Return to “General discussion”