magnitux

Re: what is the size of the included sd card

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Hello everyone I wonder how many will go the size of the SD card included and what is the size of free space.
Sorry for my english im young french(14). :D

abishur

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 pm

It will be a full sized SD card, but since it's being sold separate from the base R-pi unit, I imagine they'll have several options for size. You can use a SD card you already own as well, they just offer them with a pre-installed OS as a convenience.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:32 pm

You're begging the question there. I don't think that there's any card included.

magnitux

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:46 pm

It is stipuled on the web site (included sd card but what is the total size (every partitions)of this card? For me 2go it is small for ubuntu desktop and other appplication but he ave a low cost. 4 go is not bad but 8 go it is very nice for me.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Quote from magnitux on August 15, 2011, 22:46
It is stipuled on the web site (included sd card but what is the total size (every partitions)of this card? For me 2go it is small for ubuntu desktop and other appplication but he ave a low cost. 4 go is not bad but 8 go it is very nice for me.

I don't understand any of that.

Another reason the Mingle forum software sucks... no spell-check or post preview.

Cafe

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:06 am

Quote from magnitux on August 15, 2011, 22:46

To repeat what ShiftPlusOne said: The Raspi will not include an SD card. It will have an SD card reader and you may use any standard SD card with the reader.

I might have read somewhere on these forums that the reader can read SDHC cards, but don't hold me to it. I don't remember reading anywhere what class of SD card the reader will support.

magnitux

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:05 pm

So when we buy Raspi we can not use it ifwe do not buy SD card with him.
It's a shame because the price has risen whether to buy an SD Card and more

obarthelemy

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:40 pm

true. You also need a case, a power supply, a keyboard, a mouse, and a screen. Plus the SD card. the $25 price is a bit of a stretch.

abishur

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Quote from magnitux on August 19, 2011, 17:05
So when we buy Raspi we can not use it ifwe do not buy SD card with him.
It's a shame because the price has risen whether to buy an SD Card and more

Ah, no. As stated in my initial response to your post

"You can use a SD card you already own as well, they just offer them with a pre-installed OS as a convenience."

So no it does not come with an SD card, but you will have the option of either using one you already have (I get small ones with almost everything I purchase such that I practically have to throw them away because I have too many) or purchasing an SD card with the OS pre-installed on it for your convenience... or at least that's the current state of affairs, they might change that up when it's actually release ;)

But seeing as how I recently purchased an SD card reader (shaped like a flash drive, very fun and cool) and a 16GB flash card for 25 bucks off amazon, if you actually have to buy an brand new SD card, the cost a small one will be largely negligible.

magnitux

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:14 pm

For you the minimum size of the card should be 2 or 4 go to ensure quality in the use.
The selling price by the foundation will be lower than the market?

abishur

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 pm

no idea on that one I fear. We'll just have to see what happens

Cafe

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:40 am

Quote from magnitux on August 19, 2011, 19:14
For you the minimum size of the card should be 2 or 4 go to ensure quality in the use.

2 GB SandDisk SD card $5.24 including shipping in the US: http://amzn.to/pjnzNH

Perhaps the price can be a tad bit lower, plus shipping saved if the Raspi ships with an SD card, but then there will be plenty of people who don't want an SD card. So, the Raspi folks can't get it right either way.

One thing to remember: If the Raspi folks ship/sell SD cards, they will also have to entertain returns, replacements, etc. They might not want that headache, at least not initially.

jamesh

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 am

Quote from magnitux on August 19, 2011, 19:14

Unlikely - SD cards are so cheap now that just the costs of storage at Raspi would make the price higher than you could get from a internet vender.

e.g. http://www.7dayshop.com/catalo....._id=102082
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”