grumpyoldgit

Re: Discussions about Raspberry Pi are NOT off topic!

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:06 am

I'm sure that purely discussing whether something is off-topic is itself off-topic and should be moved there.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

I'm sure that purely discussing whether something is off-topic is itself off-topic and should be moved there.

You are probably right. But I really cannot be arsed to move it somewhere more appropriate.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:20 am

Just out of curiosity, is there any real reason not to just go ahead and create a "Bitching and moaning about RS/Farnell/RPF/delivery dates" forum (and then move all these threads there) ?

I know the feeling is that we shouldn't do this because we're about to move to new forum software, but a) you know how these things go (things that are going to happen any second now, never do) and b) it would save us having to discuss this stuff (in threads such as this one).

In any case, *I* think it should just be done and be done with.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Morgaine

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:34 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

That's how communities work out what is right and what is wrong for themselves, Grumpy, by discussion.  Only kids need to be told from on high how to behave and what may be talked about, because they haven't yet developed a sense of community nor of ethics.  While there probably are quite a few kids on the forum, I'm pretty certain that the *vast* majority of people here are adults, and probably very capable ones.

I think peterpi said it best in post 15.  While there is certainly an important duty in controlling spam posts and removing personal abuse, for the most part threads that have no community interest get left behind in the mists of time.  There is no better moderator than the date stamp for deciding what matters to people.   And it requires no effort to administer.

And even more importantly, it never creates ill feeling nor disenfranchises anyone in the community.  That is paramount when building communities with very broad audiences, and that's what we're doing here.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

Michael

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:45 am

On that note, and as further discussion on this topic is likely to only cover old ground or become less civil, I've locked the thread.

Return to “General discussion”