ramelllamar

Windows Compatiability

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:27 am

Hi,

I just purchased a raspberry pi unit, and was wandering if the unit was compatible with windows. If so, I would think that I would need to create a boot-able SD card with a windows xp os on it. Problem is I've never had to create one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

klricks

Re: Windows Compatiability

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 am

Sorry Windows XP, 7, 8, 9, 10... will never come close to running on a RPi. The RPi runs a Linux based operating system specially developed for the ARM based processors.
Even if it could, Windows cost money..... which would be many times the cost of a RPi system. Linux and most programs for Linux are free.

Read here for information:
http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub

I also have some basic information and tutorials here:
http://64.13.91.137:86/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

totoharibo

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:24 am

No windows.
Have a look on download and quick start sections.

ramelllamar

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:43 am

Wow...really. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I kinda figured as much. Thanks for getting back to me.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 am

Once you boot the Pi and run startx, your Windows experience should enable you use a Pi. For more advanced understanding, get used to the command line prompt.

eried

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:50 am

If you want XP, the cheapest you can get is: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... ts_id/1704

And it runs pretty nice, with a similar consumption:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFeXNlVbOM
My website: www.ried.cl

Jessie

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Another useless windows thread. All it takes is 5 seconds to skim the FAQ. I would also point out the tag line at the top that says "an ARM GNU/Linux box..." However, I have a friend that is a full time software Dev that dosnt know what an ARM processor is and only develops on MS products so I doubt he would know what GNU is either so I won't hold it against people for not understanding the two acronyms. I think the new tag line at the top should be "Read the FAQ before posting!"

rpdom

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Quite.

Some years back, someone asked me if I could advise them on how to fix the wireless on their Win98 box (I said it was a while ago). I told them that I don't run windows, so couldn't help them (actually, I used to run W98 before that, but telling someone in a pub how to set up wifi is pretty much impossible). They replied "Oh, so you use Vista then?". Had to explain to her that Vista was just a new version of windows and I ran Linux (cue eyes glazing over).

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:09 pm

eried wrote:If you want XP, the cheapest you can get is: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... ts_id/1704

And it runs pretty nice, with a similar consumption:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFeXNlVbOM
Ugh, its using one of these Vortex SoC's meant for embedded systems, with very limited GPU capabilities. Nasty, But obviously thats just my personal dislike! :mrgreen:
Also, for potential Win-XP users, I hope you realize that Microsoft very soon will stop all XP support, that means no more bug fixes for zero-day exploits! Windows XP is a ticking time bomb! A year from now it may be far too dangerous to use it online, even with anti-virus software!

eried

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:49 pm

mahjongg wrote:Ugh, its using one of these Vortex SoC's meant for embedded systems, with very limited GPU capabilities. Nasty, But obviously thats just my personal dislike! :mrgreen:
Also, for potential Win-XP users, I hope you realize that Microsoft very soon will stop all XP support, that means no more bug fixes for zero-day exploits! Windows XP is a ticking time bomb! A year from now it may be far too dangerous to use it online, even with anti-virus software!
Well, with the embedded write filter the base XP is always safe (it's like selective deep freeze) so even if the cpu is limited is a quick and cheap way to get some prototype running.

Of course the Pi is a better solution.

Jim JKla

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm

You know it's good sport and as long as we have people comming here asking the question those new to answering can have an easy time this also goes for "I don't see anything when I type in the password" and "My screen flashes a rainbow box then goes black then flashes the box again"

Our trainee first responders need to start somewhere and as long as they are not rude or disrespectful these are good posts.

I do worry when the OP has over 500 posts to their name or the name appears in green type. ;)

Just as a PS Windows won't play in the search so a lot of Noob's will feel thy have no choice.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:17 pm

eried wrote: Well, with the embedded write filter the base XP is always safe (it's like selective deep freeze) so even if the cpu is limited is a quick and cheap way to get some prototype running.
Well, yes, thats one solution, and I can imagine that having a quickly replaceable main storage (memory card) helps too, if a virus wipes out your data. ;) I do hope that it all wont be so bad as some computer magazines predict (specifically C't) .

Jim JKla

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:23 pm

I suspect that after about 12 months the viruses won't play on XP. Just like I have a Win98 box that has not had a sniffile in years. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Jim JKla wrote:I suspect that after about 12 months the viruses won't play on XP. Just like I have a Win98 box that has not had a sniffile in years. ;)
Perhaps you are overly optimistic about that, unless Microsoft relents on its treat to end support for XP, currently about 40% of windows users still use XP, and are not planning/cannot switch to a newer version, unlike the situation from Win98 to XP! Experts think that next year (as the support is withdrawn) still a quarter of all Windows users will use XP, especially in less developed world. For example read this: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... _retire_XP
Already you see an increase of DDOS attacks, due to unpatched Windows systems, that may avalanche after April 2014.

A quarter of all Windows users in 2014 would be a very significant target for virus writers!

eried

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Hahah 'experts' are always very pessimistic :lol: and BTW you can't compare 9x with NT architecture!. The eBox machine, as the PI, runs fully from an SD card.

Running an user without admin privileges will avoid any problem with anything in the little eBox but you can't expect this from all the people. As an experience; I wrapped some extras in a little arduino ide installer (http://goo.gl/KF7E9) tired of reading hundreds of weekly 'problems' about the installation step (uncompressing a zip), so in conclusion when something ask you no challenge at all (like the micro challenges a gnu system imposes to the average user), you can always expect bad things from that user.

IMHO, even if XP is very outdated, is pretty solid.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm

All that wont make a bit of difference for people running XP on a normal desktop PC, when in ten years time numerous exploits are found capable of bypassing the virus checkers, and Microsoft refuses to provide patches. NT architecture or no NT architecture. By the way, this has little to do with expert opinions, just with common sense logic, and a knowledge of what happened in the past. Maybe a device like the eBox is indeed the only way in the future to keep XP running. Anyway, we will see soon enough what will happen!

Jim JKla

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm

I will only be able to see if my PC keeps running. :mrgreen:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Jim JKla wrote:I will only be able to see if my PC keeps running. :mrgreen:
there will be no danger if your PC isn't connected to the Internet, and so you can use it to support the PI, and with the PI you can safely go online! I'm guessing that you own a PI... :P
Just add a card reader or thumb drive to the mix, and you can even download and install new OS's for the PI! download a new image with the pi to your detachable storage, and use the PC to write the image to the PI. On second thought if you have enough storage on your PI you can do it probably even without using a PC!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:44 am

One problem that will happen immediately when MS stops support is that every time some uninformed in-DUH-vidual installs an original version of XP with not even Service Pack 1, it apparently won't get updated with any security patches over the network. Within literally an average 15 minutes of being connected to the Internet, its IP address will start being randomly probed by bots to determine its OS version and they will begin attacking it as soon as it's determined how vulnerable it is. Within minutes, it will have become a zombie bot itself and will begin its own probing of other computers on its local network segments as well as the Internet. Since this will likely be happening in proximity to other machines with similar vulnerabilities, it might even become infected immediately by any vulnerable nearby system.

As the number of such systems keeps growing, even more Internet bandwidth will be consumed by probes, computer security infections, distributed denial of service attacks, etc. We can only hope that the IP range for groups of such systems are mapped to ground by ISPs and eventually removed from access by their own ISPs, but since ISPs and the the law are even slower to react than those still installing XP, I'm not very optimistic.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Jim JKla

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:17 am

Whenever I re-install XP I use a service pack1 version I have service pack 2 and 3 installs on disk and run those all I hope is that Microsoft dump the remaining updates into a pack a service pack 4 or service pack final.

The only issue I would then have is activation to all intents and purposes this is at this time semi automated I just wonder if this will be left running. ;)

LemmeFatale

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:37 am

Jim JKla wrote:The only issue I would then have is activation to all intents and purposes this is at this time semi automated I just wonder if this will be left running. ;)
I doubt it, to be honest. I mean, they want people to pay a large amount of money for the next version, instead of continuing to use an old one, don't they?

This is one of the problems with activation, I think. People who have a good reason to keep using it (i.e., none of the examples of bad users mentioned in this thread :P), may find themselves no longer able to get it activated...
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Jim JKla

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm

More like version after the version after the next vesion.

Remember the next version was Vista (spit) and nobody wants that one.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Jim JKla wrote:More like version after the version after the next vesion.

Remember the next version was Vista (spit) and nobody wants that one.
No argument about the assessment of Vista. Win7 seems to be okay. Win8, not so much.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Yes, but Win7 doesn't run on many older systems, for one, it needs 1GB or RAM, and XP is still very happy with just 512MB, by now you often cannot even find the right RAM to update a 7 year old PC!

mikerr

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 am

I'll just throw in:

Windows RT runs natively on ARM, as does Windows Phone.

Neither run on the Pi, but may be hacked into shape to do so at some point ...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “General discussion”