ErvKosch

Re: Developing world - A scenario

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 am

http://xkcd.com/386/

Let the thread die, please.

abishur

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 am

@Erv I love the comic and fully confess my part in needing to post it! :P Aside from the crazy train we just had, this is still a good thread discussing the possible difficulties an individual might face not only in developing countries, but also in 1st world countries. Even kids here in the states can come from impoverished areas where they might encounter a situation where they can use a flash or SD card on a public computer in order to download programs because they don't have internet at their home.

Going back to this post by Nexy:

Quote from Nexy on November 7, 2011, 21:02
Only SD cards are directly bootable buy RasPi from what I understand. One could however have an SD card in a USB card reader, use one bootable SD card to boot to flash the other. :D Hence my usage of two SD cards and a USB card reader in my suggestion.

Yes, the boot process does go straight to the SD card (though the SD card itself can have a program that will point it to a different location such as an external drive or network boot I believe), however, one thing I've been thinking about is that a good solution (assuming they can only afford the one SD card that was donated to them) is the one presented by zukero and just make sure the card has a partition that can be read by windows. That way it won't ask to format the card and Linux will be able to read any files placed on it. :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Pirx-Danford

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Ontopic - wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

In the end the rPi is just a piece of hardware and in which scenarios exactly it will be used will be near to impossible to predict.
So designing the operating system side in the most robust manner possible will be very important, because one thing can be expected: the device will become broken in ways that never ever anyone thought of.

If the rPi is well received I am pretty sure the wiki will be filled up with many interesting (and probably very sad) real life scenarios about how it is being used.
I am absolutely certain that the rPi team will learn from these scenarios and make even better hardware designs.
Also it appears already a huge community of hobbyists is forming and if they notice that with their knowledge they will be capable to really help, they will do so.
Reading this forum is quite inspiring already and I am more and more excited about the rPi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Quote from Pirx-Danford on November 10, 2011, 12:36
Ontopic - wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

In the end the rPi is just a piece of hardware and in which scenarios exactly it will be used will be near to impossible to predict.
So designing the operating system side in the most robust manner possible will be very important, because one thing can be expected: the device will become broken in ways that never ever anyone thought of.

If the rPi is well received I am pretty sure the wiki will be filled up with many interesting (and probably very sad) real life scenarios about how it is being used.
I am absolutely certain that the rPi team will learn from these scenarios and make even better hardware designs.
Also it appears already a huge community of hobbyists is forming and if they notice that with their knowledge they will be capable to really help, they will do so.
Reading this forum is quite inspiring already and I am more and more excited about the rPi.

It's important to know that Raspi don't design the OS. It's Linux, pure and simple. We do provide libraries and drivers to bring up the hardware, and access the GPU but that's about it. We probably will provide some basic installs of Linux that boot to either command line or a GUI. Maybe some extra programming apps. But as with any desktop Linux, its very easy to install any (available) SW you want. We expect many people 'out there' to do their own customised versions, but under the skin - it's all Linux.

Once the device has been out there a while I expect other OS's to be run (RiscOS probably at launch which is great), but that will be done by others.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:43 pm

We are definitely informed by conversations with the community (which is to say, you guys) about hardware choices for the future; people have been telling us about applications they want to use the device for which hadn't even occurred to us in our wildest brainstorming sessions, and we pay attention to every one of them. We've some great plans for development work for next year; there's nothing like crowdsourcing ideas to help a device like Raspberry Pi evolve.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Pirx-Danford

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Quote from jamesh on November 10, 2011, 13:36It's important to know that Raspi don't design the OS. It's Linux, pure and simple.

Which is a very good thing, but linux can be tweaked so much that it breaks too, so there will be the need to "repair" this too.
This means an easy way to rescue user data like documents and emails and such and to reinitialize the operating system card in some way.

But these are problems to be tackled later.
(Oh maybe designing a rescue raspi could be one approach to that, ah I'll stop!)

AlanCox

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:52 pm

You need some kind of restore image and ways to get them back. But more importantly you need the skill sets to handle them - a classic sustainability problem. That will also be a hardware problem in some parts of the world but not others - eg I imagine the Chinese Shanzhai factories will be able to whack them out new or repaired unbelievably cheap but it might be more of a problem repairing/rebuilding one in rural Africa beyond basic software.

abishur

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 pm

If you're referring to a restore image such as what comes with most dell computers which takes everything to a factory default state, then there is an image that can be downloaded and pushed onto the card... but if they don't have access to it, or only have the one r-pi for computing... that does raise an interesting scenario.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Bacan

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Covered elsewhere in greater detail.

Quick answer:
Have a 2nd SD card with a good image.
Use that 2nd good image to recover the 1st card.
Go back to using the 1st card; safely store away the 2nd recover card.

Burngate

Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Bacan

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks for the look up and posting, Burngate.

Return to “General discussion”