treczoks

Re: Donating to RPF when buying a RPi?

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 pm

When, oh, when I could finally order at RS or Farnell, and if they had a field in their order form called "Donation to the Raspberry Pi Foundation (optional)" that they would add to the bill, collect, and forward to Cambridge, I would gladly drop in a few extra (denomination of choice) while paying for the RPi.

Would you, too?

nikomo

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:54 pm

I'd drop a couple of euros if/when I order a second Pi.

AndyG

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Certainly would or perhaps the RaspberryPi store http://www.raspberrypi.com/ (which is down for maintenance) could have a 'donate' item along with the stickers; one of which is already on the designated keyboard and one is on the Lego case - beta only - NO Pi

Cheers

Andy

(8+10) WOW!!!

Kernel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 pm

It seems to be possible to donate via ebay - go here:

https://donations.ebay.co.uk/charity/ch ... P_ID=51613

and then click the Donate Now tab and it brings up

Donate Now to support our charity

Want to support our cause? Make a donation to us now through PayPal.

I wish to donate  £5   |   £10   |   £20   |   £50   |   £

I want to share my email address with Raspberry Pi Foundation, so they can contact me directly.

Prometheus

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:02 pm

If it were possible to specify a more exact amount, I'd gladly donate the price of another Model B, since that's what I bought.

Kernel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Prometheus said:

If it were possible to specify a more exact amount, I'd gladly donate the price of another Model B, since that's what I bought.

It is possible - it just doesn't show up in my copy/paste - at the end of the row there is a custom amount box

Prometheus

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Sweet - thanks very much for the info!

Kernel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Prometheus said:

Sweet - thanks very much for the info!

no problem

treczoks

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Kernel said:

It seems to be possible to donate via ebay - go here:

As I don't play ebay, I've no payloss account, either. But I would certainly not be curmudgeonly when I'm paying for the RPi. And such a drive-by-collection, maybe with a short popup informing about the charities goals (for those who have still not heard what it is really all about) would certainly be worth a try.

Lynbarn

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 pm

The eBay missionfish account referred to above does work, but I believe that is only applicable for items linked to it and sold on eBay, which restricts its effectiveness as an income stream.

There are various donation channels open to the Foundation, including using the PayPal gateway on their own web shop. Incidentally,  donors (or purchasers) don"t need to have a paypal account – any credit or debit card can be used.  As a charity, they will be able to take advantage of discounted transaction charges that PayPal offer too.

As a charity, they will also be able to benefit from Gift Aid from UK taxpayers, although that is a little more complicated to set up.

In order to ensure that your donations do get to the Foundation in the most tax- and cost-effective way, it is probably best to wait until the Foundation announces the arrangements they have put in place.

Kernel

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 pm

treczoks said:

Kernel said:

It seems to be possible to donate via ebay – go here:

As I don"t play ebay, I"ve no payloss account, either. But I would certainly not be curmudgeonly when I"m paying for the RPi. And such a drive-by-collection, maybe with a short popup informing about the charities goals (for those who have still not heard what it is really all about) would certainly be worth a try.

As Lynbarn mentions you don"t need an account "guests" can pay via credit/debit card

Lynbarn said:

The eBay missionfish account referred to above does work, but I believe that is only applicable for items linked to it and sold on eBay, which restricts its effectiveness as an income stream.

There are various donation channels open to the Foundation, including using the PayPal gateway on their own web shop. Incidentally,  donors (or purchasers) don"t need to have a paypal account – any credit or debit card can be used.  As a charity, they will be able to take advantage of discounted transaction charges that PayPal offer too.

As a charity, they will also be able to benefit from Gift Aid from UK taxpayers, although that is a little more complicated to set up.

In order to ensure that your donations do get to the Foundation in the most tax- and cost-effective way, it is probably best to wait until the Foundation announces the arrangements they have put in place.

It can be used even if you are not buying/selling when you follow the link it gives three tabs Buy/Sell/Donate Now – choosing the latter allows you to make an independent donation without any link to an item being sold.

I just tried it and it says:

Your order summary
Descriptions

Charity "Donate Now" Donation via MissionFish£5.00

Item total£5.00

Total £5.00 GBP

and they also allow you to use gift aid (tax purposes) however they do charge 3.75% of the donation aswell – so I think your mention of waiting for the foundation to announce more solid plans may be better if they can keep more of the donation via an alternate donation method – however if someone wants to donate right now this seems like the best options (I think I"ll wait too and cancelled the above transaction for now)

Return to “General discussion”