texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: qemu woes

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Why oh why oh why does everything in linux world have to be so painful!

Got used to using VM Virtual box via Liam tutorials and the debian distro, but can I use it for the just released Ferdora Remix? No I can't as the distro is an img file and not an iso so Virtual box doesn't support it. So I have to use Qemu, but its only supplied as uncompiled code, so I have the 'make' it. So I try and follow this help guide :

http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....-in-linux/

and I get to this point :

cd qemu
./configure --target-list=arm-softmmu,arm-linux-user

and I get this error :

root@raspberrypi:/home/texy/qemu# ./configure --target-list=arm-softmmu,arm-linux-user

Error: zlib check failed
Make sure to have the zlib libs and headers installed.

I,m guessing there's something not installed in the RPi debian6-17-02-2012 distro I need to get qemu up and running?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

SN

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 pm

more likely you got something missing from the Debian distro you have running inside VirtualBox – looks like zlib – pull it with the package manager

I"m just starting down this road myself, downloaded the Fedora 16 CD ISO (if raspi is Fedora I thought I"d have my Linux VM as Fedora) and after an abortive attempt to getting it running in Virtual PC I downloaded Oracle (pah pah yack, wash my mouth out) VirtualBox and installed it in there.

It has a nice grapical package manager so I pulled wget and qemu for ARM and then wget"ed the zImage indicated

Ran out of disk space on my XP laptop now though….  awaiting a new one in the next couple of weeks – I"m actually considering rebuilding an old Dell D610 as a native Fedora box for this instead
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

oninoshiko

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Keep in mind, what you are trying to do is WELL outside what normal people do. You are trying to roughly emulate a machine with a processesor that is a completely different arcitecture than what you are using, and one that only a handful of people in the world have.

To say you are playing in the realm of "advanced computing" is the understatement of the year. Hard thing is hard.

That said, I dont know what distro you are on, but I think the arm version of  qemu was supplied in the repo for unbuntu.

From your description it sounds like you aren't even getting qemu built, it's trying to satisfy a dependency on zlib and your machine is comming up lacking (I find this supriseing. I thought zlib was standard in every distro). zlib-devel or some such should be in your distro's package manager.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:08 am

Thanks guys. As explained I am using the rpi debian6-17-02-2012 distro in Virtual Box in order to create a linux os so that I can compile qemu so that I can then run the fedora remix. In an ideal world there be an executable windows qemu installer configured for arm so that didn"t need to compile it - at least that"s what I think I need, lol.
Is there an easier way?
T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):

Emanuele

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:06 am

I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to do, but there are windows executables for qemu that can emulate an arm system. You can find them here:

http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/

I don't know about the smaller archives, but the 18M one comes with a working qemu-system-arm.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:24 am

But, alas, we're still not home safe with that.  As I understand it, there are still two barriers to success:

1) In order to do this, you need a special kernel (the one in the .IMG file won't work).  I haven't heard back yet where you get the special kernel file.

2) As far as I know, the best minds here haven't gotten it to work (see below for definition of "it") - apparently, it crashes on startup unless you turn the networking off (and without the networking, it isn't usable).

(it) Definition of "it": getting the Debian .IMG file working under Qemu on Windows.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:17 am

texy said:

This is serious stuff - not a Linux failure, more a learning curve Everest ascent style!

You need to install zlib and you will also need glib2 with:

sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev libglib2.0-dev

I,m guessing there's something not installed in the RPi debian6-17-02-2012 distro I need to get qemu up and running?

No deficiency in the bit from RPi, it's missing software in your Linux install when you try to build qemu.

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:20 am

Joe Schmoe said:

1) In order to do this, you need a special kernel (the one in the .IMG file won't work).  I haven't heard back yet where you get the special kernel file.

Yup, you need a kernel that is compatible with the Qemu's ARM virtual motherboard

2) As far as I know, the best minds here haven't gotten it to work (see below for definition of "it") - apparently, it crashes on startup unless you turn the networking off (and without the networking, it isn't usable).

(it) Definition of "it": getting the Debian .IMG file working under Qemu on Windows.

You can still have a poke about even without networking. It's a bit academic - you may as well use Qemu to setup an i386 Fedora14 install with a similar set of software. Pretty much the same result - without the GPU the Pi unique features can't be emulated.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:49 am

nmcc said:

texy said:

This is serious stuff - not a Linux failure, more a learning curve Everest ascent style!

You need to install zlib and you will also need glib2 with:

sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev libglib2.0-dev

No deficiency in the bit from RPi, it's missing software in your Linux install when you try to build qemu.

Briiliant!

That's got me a bit further, but I,ll step back a little.

This morning I installed deibian 6.0.3 onto a spare disk on my PC, and started again.

I needed to install gcc before I got to the start where I got stuck before. Your instructions above got me passed that hurdle and I have now successfully compiled qemu.

However, I am at a loss on how to run it. Is it command lin driven only?

Texy

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Time to leave it to the experts I think. Qemu tries to get going, but I get these errors now :

root@Ian-Linux-Debian:/home/texy/qemu# qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1176 -m 192 -hda rootfs3G.ext3 -kernel zImage -append "root=/dev/sda" -serial stdio -redir tcp:2222::22
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
audio: Failed to create voice `lm4549.out'
VNC server running on `127.0.0.1:5900'
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
qemu-system-arm: slirp/arp_table.c:41: arp_table_add: Assertion `(ip_addr & (__extension__ ({ register unsigned int __v, __x = (~(0xf << 28)); if (__builtin_constant_p (__x)) __v = ((((__x) & 0xff000000) >> 24) | (((__x) & 0x00ff0000) >> | (((__x) & 0x0000ff00) << | (((__x) & 0x000000ff) << 24)); else __asm__ ("bswap %0" : "=r" (__v) : "0" (__x)); __v; }))) != 0' failed.
Aborted

Texy

spennig

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:21 pm

The OSS warnings are harmless. You might also add -vga std, unless you really want to use VNC.

The problem is with networking. Does it work with simple user mode networking, rather than the redirect?  (  -net nic -net user ).

Emanuele

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Disclaimer: I haven't tried fedora remix myself, but it looks like you are just one step away.

It looks like you can just add "-net none" when you start qemu or get a patched qemu source. See note1 here:

http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....x-in-qemu/

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Texy, install git:

sudo apt-get install git-core

then follow along with SkyGod's instructions on installing the latest Qemu with the fix for networking:

http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....x-in-qemu/

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Now if only I have read the message at the bottom of the instructions, I would of know to add the -net none option, D;Oh !!

Well, it seems to be stuck on

Uncompressing Linux...done, booting the kernel.

for a very long time. I,ll wait a bit longer, then try the network fix above.

Thanks guy's.

Texy

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:42 pm

So it seems that it wasn't just waiting, all it needed was a vnc connection.

So I got vncviewer to install (or rather tightvnc), and can now see, well almost, some initial bootup messages. Its still not happy however. If only I could make the text a bit bigger, or perhaps cut and paste it, I could show you how what its saying, but I think its complaining about, "no filesystem could mount root".

Note that I have gone through the link on my first post, and there is a file in my username folder called rootfs3G.ext3.

This is the command I am currently using :

root@Ian-Linux-Debian:/home/texy/qemu-linaro# qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1176 -m 192 -hda /home/texy/rootfs3G.ext3 -kernel /home/texy/zImage -append "root=/dev/sda" -serial stdio -redir tcp:2222::22

Any further help appreciated,

T.

nick.mccloud

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:10 am

May be a dumb question, but did you copy over the file system from the fedora download after you created the rootfs img?

From http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/03/08/ ... x-in-qemu/

file raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img
raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0xb, active, starthead 0, startsector 2048, 204800 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x83, starthead 0, startsector 206848, 3246080 sectors, code offset 0xb8
mkdir mnt
mkdir mnt2
sudo mount -o loop,offset=$[206848*512] raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img mnt
sudo mount -o loop rootfs3G.ext3 mnt2
sudo cp mnt/* mnt2 -rf
sudo umount mnt2
sudo umount mnt

SN

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:19 am

You'll find an abridged/annotated version of those website notes here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ons#p51755

this is based on my experiences today
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks again guys. I"ll give that a go once I finish my Sunday morning lay in!
To mncc : yes I did. I am unsure if it is a once only operation however - how much of it do I need to do if I reboot my pc?
To sn - why do I have to use vnc? There is no mention of it in the original structions, or your annotated version.

T.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Well I,m in....almost!!

I went back to my vista laptop and played again the virtualbox. I have now got it running, although the keyboard didn't seem to work initially, but then it did. After setting passwords and a user it asked me if it wanted to go into the GUI on boot up or not, I choose yes (or at least I entered 'y'), but it jst gets to this prompt :

[texy@raspi ~]$

How do i progress to the GUI ?

Texy

nick.mccloud

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:38 pm

texy said:

How do i progress to the GUI ?

Either

sudo init 5

or

sudo shutdown -r now

nick.mccloud

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 pm

texy said:

To mncc : yes I did. I am unsure if it is a once only operation however - how much of it do I need to do if I reboot my pc?

Just copy it over once and then reference that.

To sn - why do I have to use vnc? There is no mention of it in the original structions, or your annotated version.
Some installs of Qemu and setups need to connect to a screen and if it doesn't display on screen then connect via vnc on localhost

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Just as an update, I have now got as far as the GUI login screen. This is both for my laptop running virtualbox and my PC with Debian installed.

When I entered the username and pasword, it just jumps straight back to the login screen. So the fix is meant to be to use the

chmod 777 /tmp

command. However, if you can't get to the command line, how do you entered the command?????

So I had an idea - enter the chmod 777 /tmp command whilst it is still in command prompt mode before the first reset, but it will not NOT accept the root password I previously set!! I have tried loads of times to set a really obscure root password on first bootup, but it always comes back and says its based on a word in the dictionary. I do hope that once the pi arrives, it will not be as painful as this.

Any idea’s ??
Texy

SN

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm

You need to do the chmod BEFORE you attempt to start the GUI (just after you entered passwords and such)

There is something odd going on though, as I posted elsewhere, with root. I can only get in as root with ssh

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:24 pm

SN said:

You need to do the chmod BEFORE you attempt to start the GUI (just after you entered passwords and such)

There is something odd going on though, as I posted elsewhere, with root. I can only get in as root with ssh

Thanks SN. I,m on my PC at the moment, and  need to use vncviewer to get an output. So whats the ssh command I need to use, and I am using ssh instead of vncviewer, or as well as?

T.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:28 pm

S'OL - got it

ssh -p 2222 root@localhost

T.

Return to “General discussion”