hal2k

Re: Patch for latest kernel on kernel.org

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi forum,

as a newbie to linux on ARMs I learned a lot about the architecture of raspberrypi over the last few weeks and I'm really looking forward to my first board.

While waiting for the board I tried to compile a kernel today and prepare an image. My plan is to start with the "official" kernel from kernel.org, patch it and crosscompile it (all on my Ubuntu system).

I got the kernel sources and found a patch for raspberrypi on github. So I copied them viagit clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... stable.git
git clone https://github.com/simoncadman/Raspberr ... -Patch.git However, when I try to patch the kernel, I get various messages on offsets (seems to be OK) and various
eerrors. I also get the message that a reversed (or previously applied) patch has been detected.So here are my question: Is anybody aware of the version of the official kernel that this patch applies to?Are there other places for patches that I should consider and are there any plans to maintain a kind of official patch for rasperrypi that can be applied to the official kernel? Thanks a lot in advanceHal

oninoshiko

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:14 pm

I just started looking at this yesterday, but had not happened upon the patch yet.

While I don't know the answer to your question, I will likely be trying to rework the patch to work with 3.2.9. I'll be sure to post my results!

jui-feng

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:10 pm

I'd use the raspberry pi kernel repository ( https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux ). You can probably get a patch against some version of linux from there using some git magic, or clone the repo and try to merge with a more recent linux version.

hal2k

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm aware of the ri-kernel repo at github but my current plan is to stay as close to the official kernel as possible. Staying close has a lot of advantages and I honestly think that a lot of the changes that are being promoted in different sources for the ri-kernel right now are not needed (at least not for my application case).

Working with patches will allow us to stay close with the development with the mainline kernel.

I'll look further around and also try to get the standard kernel to run (of course after cross compilation). I would hope that it works even though it may not give access to all the hardware.

I don't have the ri here though to try right now.

If you manage to produce a patch that can be applied to the 3.2.9 kernel, please let me know!

Rgds

Hal

oninoshiko

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Well, right now I'm messing with the github version.

I would hope most of the patches can be applied upstream though.

rmm200

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:40 pm

I will just comment that my only chance of getting a working kernel is to use the rasberrypi version on github. I would have no chance of getting the 1000 configuration options correct, much less the required hardware device drivers.

I have cross compiled that one, and the log makes a great reference as to what I have.

Return to “General discussion”