zag

Re: 200,000 registrations of interest with RS

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Quite impressive really to get 200k pre-registrations.

I wonder how many Farnell got?

"RS has received more than 200,000 registrations of interest on its websites across the globe," said RS. "All customers who have registered an expression of interest will be notified when they can place an order for Raspberry Pi via the dedicated RS Raspberry Pi webshop."

http://www.electronicsweekly.c.....-march.htm
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

TheCrazyInventor

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:09 pm

My god... They'll never get all of that shipped.

I guess farnell figures would be about the same. So... Almost half a million RPis sold. Good job.
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

AlexPT

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Probably Farnell got the same…

And that its because, a lot of people(90%+) made the registration in both.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:18 pm

? l ? x said:

Probably Farnell got the same…

And that its because, a lot of people(90%+) made the registration in both.

Quite likely.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

JoeDaStudd

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:26 pm

RS stayed live for a little longer then Farnell (probably because it was the second link) so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get more signed up then Farnell.

Either way your talking about atleast 250k people wanting the device in the first few days. Which in the grand scheme of things is pretty insane for such a low end device and such a no name (compared to the likes of Apple, Acer, HP, MS, etc) company/foundation.

Gert van Loo

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 pm

And that is not counting the industries or the meek users who want more but ordered only one because the sales was suppose to be limited to one per user (Like me!).

spurious

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:50 pm

200K is that all?!
people were talking of 300K per 15 minutes..

200K is a mere trifle and these guys should sort out stocks without much problem, as long as the parts are all available.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:22 pm

@Gert, me too and now I've got the SOL email and it's going to be another month plus of thinking of things to do with a RaspPi and no RaspPi to do them with, while ten thousand horribly smug members get a head start.

hippy

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Gert said:

And that is not counting the industries or the meek users who want more but ordered only one because the sales was suppose to be limited to one per user (Like me!).

Also it doesn't include people like me who haven't yet registered interest with either. Most who I know decided not to buy until the situation had calmed down.

My estimate of demand - if they could be magicked-up and everyone could have as many as they wanted - was one to two million, perhaps more, in the first year. I don't at present see any cause to lower that estimate.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:46 pm

I would have thought that Gert, of all people, would have one reserved for him. His original got sat on so presumably needs a replacement for further development work

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:48 pm

TheCrazyInventor said:

So… Almost half a million RPis sold.

…er no, its only showing interest – none of them have actually sold yet

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

oninoshiko

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm

It's worth noting that's 200k interested parties. Not 200k sales.

There are two ways to look at it, not all 200k may end up buying one, some of the 200 will buy more then one.

I dont know which will be more, but I think those wanting more then one will exceed those deciding against it. There has been an impressive response so far. I really think it is just the beginning.

10+1=3

Paul Webster

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Inwas one of the 6AM-ish people on RS site ... although I spent too long looking for a "buy" page before registering interest ... anyway, they just sent me the "thanks for registering interest" email (first I"ve had from them).
I placed an order with Farnell later on day 1. If I end up with 2 I"ll find a good home for the 2nd.

Gert van Loo

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I would have thought that Gert, of all people, would have one reserved for him. His original got sat on so presumably needs a replacement for further development work

I have one repaired board but I want a spare also one for my children to play with. Yes, I probably could have gotten one from Eben but what is the use of me spending all my time in supporting the Foundation and then costing them money by expecting free boards.

For the repaired SD card on the board look at my picture here:

mole125

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Gert said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

I have one repaired board but I want a spare also one for my children to play with. Yes, I probably could have gotten one from Eben but what is the use of me spending all my time in supporting the Foundation and then costing them money by expecting free boards.

I think I speak for us all here saying that all the work you have done is well worth a free board or two. Particularly if the alternative is the risk that you will be spending your time pursuading the kids it is your turn on the RPi rather than producing more goodies and information for us.

drgeoff

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Gert said:

6/10 for appearance.  10/10 for functionality.  :-)

Andre_P

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:08 pm

My partners father used to be in the Royal Navy when it was still a steam navy, his number one task was to keep the ship afloat and be able to stay on mission with whatever repairs were needed with whatever was available.

I think he would approve of the repair .

hippy

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:10 pm

mole125 said:

I think I speak for us all here saying that all the work you have done is well worth a free board or two.
+1 from me.

500 boards have been pre-allocated for Nokia Qt developers and I believe similar would be reasonable for all those who have helped bring the R-Pi to where it is now and are actively building the infrastructure around it.

I know some have called it elitist to suggest some are more deserving of R-Pi than others but I do believe that is the case. It would be ironic if all 10K had gone to people waiting for others to facilitate what they wanted to do, while those trying to facilitate were left without boards.

I think people like Gert, those building distros or demonstrably striving to provide for the entire R-Pi community should be given free boards or at least offered priority allocation. It's not just helping them it's helping them provide for all of us.

The 10K batch isn't complete yet and there may be this priority allocation in place. I personally hope so.

flipdewaf

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Gert said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

Nice to hear, so many people want something for nothing these days.

That is real engineering right there!

Fred

Smartybones

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:01 pm

TheCrazyInventor said:

My god... They'll never get all of that shipped.

I guess farnell figures would be about the same. So... Almost half a million RPis sold. Good job.

registrations dont amount to sales.

How many people have registered on both farnel and RS to get a piece of Pi, but will buy from whichever one ships first. Farnell have the upper-hand by actually taking card details and delivery info. Some people will buy one from both, I am, but a lot wont. At best guess, I think RS will only convert half those registrations to sales.

Still, it shows what a massive interest there is for a product like the RPi, and I can see there easy being half a million boards sold in the first 6 months. Just wait until the software matures and the pi comes in a tin, a million boards in the first 12 months is not unrealistic.

the important numbers are really in year 2,3 and 4, there is no way its going to sustain sale at these current levels of interest, and although there will always bee people like us computer geeks that will need a steady supply, but its the educational sector that will need to buy in significant numbers each year to keep the foundation going on.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Gert said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

I think it's because you are likely to be more productive with your Pi than 99% of the rest of us! I would extend this to include the OS developers and other key people.

cpslashm

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:35 pm

zag said:

Quite impressive really to get 200k pre-registrations.

I wonder how many Farnell got?

No interest from here - I didn't want to allow them to spam me. RS said my email use would be restricted so they got my registration.

cpslashm

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Smartybones said:

TheCrazyInventor said:

registrations dont amount to sales.

the important numbers are really in year 2,3 and 4, there is no way its going to sustain sale at these current levels of interest, and although there will always bee people like us computer geeks that will need a steady supply, but its the educational sector that will need to buy in significant numbers each year to keep the foundation going on.

If they are going to be given to children and if they work out as a teaching tool, new children will need new units.

I'm looking forward to companies finding they can hire off-the-peg programmers with mature community support who can develop solutions with an off-the-peg computer which can can be built into new mass-market products. Which will lead to an even greater incentive to learn programming on the Pi.

After which we'll probably need a model C with expandable memory and multiple cores...

jamesh

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 am

I think (I have no knowledge of Foundation plans) that given the rapidly increasing SoC power levels and cheapness, there will be upgrades paths to faster Pi's over the next few years. It would be remiss not to take advantage of those improvements, as they give the Foundation a steady income stream. As long as backward compatibility is maintained, I see no issues.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

meltwater

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:06 am

JamesH said:

I think (I have no knowledge of Foundation plans) that given the rapidly increasing SoC power levels and cheapness, there will be upgrades paths to faster Pi's over the next few years. It would be remiss not to take advantage of those improvements, as they give the Foundation a steady income stream. As long as backward compatibility is maintained, I see no issues.

could have some great charity results by allowing people to donate their older rpis when that happens.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Return to “General discussion”