grumpyoldgit

Re: Jinx on release of fruit based computers

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 pm

It's nice to see that launch day problems can also affect the number 1 computer manufacturer as well.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/appl.....tore/12473

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

It's nice to see that launch day problems can also affect the number 1 computer manufacturer as well.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/appl.....tore/12473

You can't really compare apples and oranges (or whatever), I mean, one's useful and the other is just a shiny toy.

Anyhow, did Tangerine ever have launch problems?  And I don't ever recall a rush for Apricots....   Hehehehehehe
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Most products have some issues at some point. In Apples case, the demand must have been very high indeed. (where have I heard that before)

On the whole, and consideration the Foundations lack of any full time employees, the Raspi is doing OK so far. Usual manufacturing glitches and holdups along the way, but nothing really horrendous.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pandapi

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:14 pm

"#FAIL. That’s the grade I give Apple’s online store for its performance yesterday. And someone’s head should roll."

I really hope they don't believe someone should lose their job because what was (probably) a couple of million people hit the apple store after their announcement.

While both the raspi and apple (i experienced both) server problems were annoying in no way does anyone deserve to lose their job over it.

Oh, and jongoleur - they are only "shiny toys" in the hands of the masses. I've come from a linux background and now, for my sins, have a mac. I can still do all the same stuff on the mac that i did on linux, often with the same commands!

For me they are "shiny productive machines"

Easy for the non-techs in the house and still powerful enough for me to do my stuff.

Come on pi! That will be ALL MINE!

TheEponymousBob

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Oh wow. Is that a parody, or can there really be a tech blogger so mind-bogglingly daft yet still employed*? I really don"t want this (or any) thread here to descend into pro/anti Apple holy wars, so let"s please try and pretend that this was some entirely fictitious company of similar size and following. Does he really think that they"re going to be able to faultlessly handle every order request they get in the first 60 minutes of one of their biggest products" annual refresh? To throw so much cash at it that their farms could handle a spike that size, then coast for the next 364.96 days?

I think everyone should be prescribed regular periodic refresher courses on visualising large/small numbers. We get too used to bandying words ending in "-illion(th)" about, and lose any notion of the weight they carry. A lot of very heated arguments stem from one or both sides failing to appreciate the scales of the numbers involved.

*Though I wouldn"t necessarily go so far as to suggest heads should roll over the article, mind...

Return to “General discussion”