Jessie

Re: Farnell offering exclusive development software?

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:25 am

It is probibly just their own custom IDE or something of the likes. I like a good bloated IDE myself, nice color"ed words and auto indent. I wouldn"t run one on a device like the R-Pi but they work great when you have quad cores and 16G of ram. They just speak to the lazy side of me.

barnaby

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:59 am

On Look North a couple of weeks back they did a piece on the RPI and quoted Farnell in Leeds as the only global distributer of the device, I wonder where Look North got this information from  I"ve always admired* Look North"s ability to find a local angle to any global news story, however obscure.

Ah, "look north" sound just like our "spotlight"! They got extremely excited because one of the reporters being rescued was from Totnes.

Back on topic: Has anyone actually contacted Farnell and asked? I assume we"ll hear something official from the raspi foundation at some point.

Cheers,
Barnaby

rew

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 am

bbramble said:

Probably exclusive as in "no-one else (that we know) has put together exactly this combination of software on a CD"

Why would they do that? The demand is higher than they can handle. If they were able to handle the demand they would just have everybody preorder, and ship when the RPIs are available. However they have switched to "register interest" to prevent their ordering system from overflowing.

Note that if someone registers interest, they have not agreed to buy it yet. So if RS opens up earlier, you're free to switch. If they needed the customers, they would allow you to preorder  which makes it much harder for you to switch....
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

bbramble

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:01 am

rew said:

Why would they do that? 

It's called marketing.

r3d4

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:01 pm

bbramble said:

rew said:

Why would they do that?

It's called marketing.

see  www: urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=marketing

or 'bill hicks on marketing'

if you un familiar with the term

xD

4+1 =5.999r
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

Return to “General discussion”