wifiuk

Re: Raspberry Pi demand running at '700 per second'

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Free photoshop Tutorials - www.howtophotoshop.co.uk

Allan

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Hmmmmm. 700 per second eh? 42,000 per minute? Something over sixty MILLION per day?

I know the Raspi is popular but really, sixty million per day? Over a third of a billion since launch?

I think someone's dropped a decimal point or three!

Joe Schmoe

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:39 pm

It really will be interesting to see how much demand levels off once people realize that it doesn't run Windows - i.e. (as others have noted), it is not a desktop PC (as most people understand that word/phrase).

Keep in mind that most people who use computers don't even know that it runs Windows (I.e., the concept of an operating system).  They just know that when they turn it on, they get Word & Excel.  So, they don't even have the mental model to realize that a computer that doesn't run Windows - is somehow a problem.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

welshblob

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

So, they don't even have the mental model to realize that a computer that doesn't run Windows - is somehow a problem.

I hope that's a double negative as a computer that doesn't run Windows isn't a problem .... oh hang that's a double negative too!

Jessie

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Well I'm still seeing threads pop up other places on the net about how people were going to connect theirs to a VGA only monitor, and this and that.  Basicly, there are an ass-ton of people ordering in this frenzy that have no clue what this thing is and is not capable of.  The general public being morons as usual, they see that this is a hot device so they all have to run out and try and get one.  I think initally there are going to be a lot of un-happy people that didn't do any research and they are going to get their hands on it and realize that it is too slow for what they want to do or it won't run their favorite x86 software.  That is just the feeling I get from reading about it in other forums.

welshblob

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:53 pm

I agree and only after the first batch has actually got out will we be able to see how this thing actually performs. Expecting lots of videos on youtube showing the true performance for real world usage which may put a few people off (most current videos seem to be highly edited). Having said that I expect there will be a lot of optimising going on which should improve things. As for the someone buying it and expecting VGA out then they only have themselves to blame!

mkopack

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Yeah, TONS of people buying just because they hear "$35 computer" and not realizing what they're really getting. Of course, there's plenty of us who have been following this and know what we're getting who want multiple of them...

But yeah, you know there's going to be a ton of complaining by those who aren't in the know when they get the units and realize they can't run some game or it won't do flash or it's not fast enough for them etc. To them I say "Maybe you should have read up a little bit BEFORE buying it...."

Like the people who spend $900 on an iPad thinking it's a laptop replacement, and then return it a week later when they got home and discovered it can't run MS Office or XYZ program.... Even though the sales person TOLD them that at the store, but they insisted they had to have it.

AlexPT

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:17 pm

I think that gonna happen in some cases.

But if people actuality see some image and video, only by that, can realize that this is not a "normal" pc.

Well.. I would just for looking for a rPi…

Toby Stokes

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Allan said:

Hmmmmm. 700 per second eh? 42,000 per minute? Something over sixty MILLION per day?

I know the Raspi is popular but really, sixty million per day? Over a third of a billion since launch?

I think these are statistics from 6.01 am on 29/2/12 rather than every moment since then!

Allan

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am

Toby said:

Allan said:

I think these are statistics from 6.01 am on 29/2/12 rather than every moment since then!

The quote from the Guardian is :

Demand for the Raspberry Pi computer – a £22 British-designed system – was still running at 700 per second at the end of last week, according to one of its main distributors in the UK.

Journalists, don'tcha love 'em.

Return to “General discussion”