Smartybones

Re: chasis mounted extentions.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:45 pm

one of the things that ha been noted about the RPi is the layout of the various sockets to plug git into being near enough scattered around to the point it appears they are placed to best suit the designer of the pcb in way of making his life easy...(i may be incorrect)

I have many projects in mind for the RPi, and most involve it going into some sort of case. The actual size of the case is not to important, but I want to make it pleasing tp look at.

One way to do this would be to mount chassis mounted sockets to the case with a fly lead on it connected to the RPi. this way you can create a more ascetically pleasing product.

after searching the interwebs, I can source all of the chassis mounted extensions except for the memory card. There are a few SD card Extensions about, but I cant find a chassis mounted one. Has anyone come across any at all?

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

XAPBob

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm

If that's the only one left then surely that defines where the board will be placed - no need to make everything a flying lead...

Smartybones

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 am

@ RaTTuS, Yeah, first place i searched was farnell and rs, plenty of board mounted options as in your links, but alas, they are not chassis mounted.

@ XAPBob, if i cant adapt something like this then it looks like the board will have to go to the edge

pacman

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 am

I just posted this in another thread...

http://en.esskabel.de/adapter/.....ard-usb/69

oninoshiko

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 am

pacman said:

I just posted this in another thread...

http://en.esskabel.de/adapter/.....ard-usb/69

from the same thread pacman posted in, there is this:

http://www.ec21.com/product-de.....62035.html

I can't tell if it actually has holes for mounting, and is essentially the same thing as what you have a photo of, except without the plastic housing. I don't know if that will help you, but is what I am considering.

pacman

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:17 am

oninoshiko said:

http://www.ec21.com/product-de.....62035.html

I can't tell if it actually has holes for mounting, and is essentially the same thing as what you have a photo of, except without the plastic housing. I don't know if that will help you, but is what I am considering.

From what I can tell on a slightly more detailed picture on their web-site, it does not look like the adapter has holes for screws/mounting.

However, I think you might be able to place 2 screws on each side, and perhaps 1 or 2 behind the holder - or - modify the PCB sligthly (eg. make a notch), so that one screw can hold it in place on one side.

XAPBob

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Out of interest (and because I've found a nice looking case) I looked for an HDMI extension that wasn't 3 feet long - I didn't get below £10, which is frankly ridiculous.

Where are people sourcing sensible versions? (of any of the connectors)

I have enough USB extensions from old motherboards etc, as well as old NICs I could use as a tail.  The MicroUSB might get resoldered (then I just need to buy a socket).

At the moment I've nowhere to put the SD card to make it removable, so I'll have to unscrew the case to do that, but the above have nice spring covered holes...

Particularly if I can get HDMI out then I'll be made

Then of course I'll have to make an SD card that boots from a USB device and have multiple options based on that model...

oninoshiko

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 am

Atleast for my prototype, I'm expecting to double the cost. I'll have to see what happens as I start to pull things together.

*I* am doing this because I think it's neeto. As long as the costs for the entire project are below 100USD, or can atleast be spread into 40USD incriments, It doesn't really bother me. Spending 50USD on the case... really doesn't bother me much.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:48 am

I think with clever case design you could keep the number of extensions relatively low while still having the connectors at the back and the SD card at the front

You could place the board so that the SD card slot was at the front which would place the USB and ethernet usefully on the back. Power could be connected via the GPIO header. Audio and compositte video (if you care about it) are easy to solder up yourself.

For the HDMI output i'd suggest a cabled HDMI to DVI adaptor. Something like http://product.madeinchina.com.....9759.shtml . You can probablly remove the jackscrew pillars from such an adaptor pretty easilly and use them to screw it to the case.

oninoshiko

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:32 pm

plugwash said:

I think with clever case design you could keep the number of extensions relatively low while still having the connectors at the back and the SD card at the front

My initial idea (different thread) was this, but the power is still front-facing. I'm unclear if this can be made to work with rear-power.

You could place the board so that the SD card slot was at the front which would place the USB and ethernet usefully on the back. Power could be connected via the GPIO header. Audio and compositte video (if you care about it) are easy to solder up yourself.

I think USB would be more useful one the front, but probibly depends on application.

For the HDMI output i"d suggest a cabled HDMI to DVI adaptor. Something like http://product.madeinchina.com.....9759.shtml . You can probablly remove the jackscrew pillars from such an adaptor pretty easilly and use them to screw it to the case.

I'm not sure I'd bother. HDMI is getting so common, and adding the converter on the outside (if even nessicary) is so easy.

rew

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 am

Smartybones said:

after searching the interwebs, I can source all of the chassis mounted extensions except for the memory card. There are a few SD card Extensions about, but I cant find a chassis mounted one. Has anyone come across any at all?
Depending on what you want your "end users" to know about your "device", wouldn't it be better to provide the boot-SD inside and hidden, and then provide SD-reading capabilities through an USB SD card reader where you want it?
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

Smartybones

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:15 pm

the end user would be myself...

I want to install the Pi in a nice box, that wont look like a mess on my desk. I am going to make the case myself on my reprap, so the size and shape is entirely open, but my thinking is some sort of design in homage to the BBC micro. I have a keyboard from an old beeb and info to make a USB interface for it.

My final design will incorporate:-

power supply
rechargeable battery pack
an internal, 8 port USB hub (some ports used internally, with the remainder made available to use for external devices)
bluetooth
Wifi
320GB 2.5inch Hard drive.

I also want to have some sort of user interface to control some relays and monitor analogue inputs.

its probably a little over the top, but what I am making is a complete "projects system" that can be used as the base of more or less any project that requires a computer in its core.

curiousengr

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:11 am

good luck with the HDMI solution however the HDMI-DVI cable listed doesn't look right , HDMI and DVI are'nt compatible , some laptops use the HDMI connector for external video but aren't true hdmi just DVI version which also includes pins for VGA output.For HDMI to DVI (svga) your'e going to need an adaptor/controller the ones I have seen from HP are around £40

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 am

The digital signals of HDMI are the same as the digital signals of DVI. You can convert between one and the other with a cheap cable.

What you cannot do is to connect to a monitor or TV that expects an analogue signal. Such a device will have a VGA connector, not a DVI one. An HDMI to VGA cable that will work is expensive. The cheap cables assume that the analogue signals are present; on the RaspPi they are not.

The only problem will come if you find a TV or monitor that has a DVI/HDMI connector but only uses the analogue signals from that connector. I would expect such devices to be rare.

Smartybones

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:30 pm

I think you are overlooking a very plain and simple option for the HDMI out to a chassis mount.

http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/a.....Socket.html

this will do the job perfectly !

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:11 pm

XAPBob said:

Then of course I'll have to make an SD card that boots from a USB device and have multiple options based on that model...

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I'm not sure it will work...

I'm pretty sure that the 'Pi will only boot from the in-built SD card reader, as this is adressed directly by the chip firmware. After the first phase of booting, you may be able to access other SD drives, such as via USB converters, but you can't initiate the boot from them.

Smartybones

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Lynbarn said:

I'm pretty sure that the 'Pi will only boot from the in-built SD card reader, as this is adressed directly by the chip firmware.

yes, you are correct, The Chip loads a "bootloader" from the built in SD Card slot.  There is a partition on the card that is the equivalent of a "BIOS" chip.

from that boot loader, you can tell the Pi where to boot the operating system from. It could be on the remaining partition on the SD card or from a USB hard drive. If you cared to write the drivers and whatever, you could actually get it to boot the OS from a shared folder on a network. Its entirely up to you.

And that is the beauty of the Pi. You can w2rite these drivers and play about, and all you need to do if it screws up is plug an SD card with a known working Bootloader on it. If you tried doing this on near enough any bit of hardware you would brick the board until you replaced or reprogrammed a on-board bios chip.

never before had a piece of kit come to market where the end user can and is encouraged to play about on such a low level of the device. given enough time and effort, your gonna see some awesome stuff come from the Pi

Return to “General discussion”