ReCreate

Re: Pi's and small fuzzy animals. How will you keep them apart?

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm not quite yet getting a pi, But I tend to have quite a common problem involving my cat and all my electronics ever. As demonstrated by this video of the offender.

Quite right. Cats like to get their fur all over everything. Fur generally causes static! We certainly don't want static to discharge into components of the pis. These are yet to have cases. So what will you do to keep yours apart from your pet as much as possible? If you'd be playing/developing/using/etc with it a lot, I'd imagine it's very close and accessible to you at all times, as much as a laptop, or a phone, perhaps. Hence also very accessible to pet cats. Thus: danger!

In all honesty, If i had a pi, I would absolutely need a case for it. I'm hopeless with getting my cat away from my stuff. xb So what may be your solutions to this problem if you happen to possess a cat that likes to get on all things ever, with currently having no case?

mole125

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 pm

I find food often works as a short term remedy, more extreme cases results in him being put outside - as a bonus you can play the guess how long before he comes back in game.  Really extreme solution is locking the cat flap, but then he meows instead which is just as bad..

Perhaps getting a box and putting it in it? (The Pi not the cat... I think)

ReCreate

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Maybe you could lock the cat in a big box. Like a room. xb But that'd be only a short term solution.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Get a gert board and build a robocat. Then you won't need a real one.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Ravenous

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 am

Didn't Scrodinger warn us about keeping pies in boxes? Or something.

But yes, electronics and small animals (including the human sort) don't mix.  We had a pet lovebird which would chew mains cables, until we stopped her...

psergiu

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:10 am

My cat used to love to chew on the wires on the back of my computer.

I had way too many wires so rubbing a sliced hot peper on all of them would have taken a lot and it would have bit me later when i needed to move them.

I used a Model Train power box which had "Kid-safe short-circuit protection". Put a couple of meters of telephone wire twisted pair (with thin insulation) on the 16v AC "rail switch" circuit in the evening and tossed the wire in the back of my PC. Later that night i was awoken by the "short-cirtuit" buzz of the transformer and a loud "Meaow !".

My cat lived happily for years and years and never chewed wires again. And it was a good thing as i discovered later that she almost chewed the monitor power cable down to the live wires.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 am

We've got two cats here: Mooncake, the Official Raspberry Pi Cat, and Raffles, her brother, who isn't the official anything. Both like to sleep on electronics but so far neither has slept on a Raspberry Pi; they don't give off enough heat in a large enough area to interest them. If you keep something warmer in the room - a radiator, a PC, an iPad, a DVD player - your cat should be more likely to sleep on that.

Mooncake *did* try to eat one, though (or rather its anti-static bag).
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Burngate

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Many years ago I would frequent a pizza restaurant in Kingston (The Great American Disaster).
It was heated by electric storage radiators, and they were mostly covered in cats.
Every so often one would fall off, stagger gently to the nearest water bowl, then, suitably refreshed, walk back and daintily jump up onto the radiator.
I doubt whether the rules would allow that today.

nullstring

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 pm

I hereby request pictures of mooncake.

Ravenous

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Hmm slightly concerned about the cats picking up too much RF interference or microwaves & developing tumours...

HienoMies

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:36 pm

BTW, have you seen any video where Raspi is handled with person wearing proper ESD protection, wrist strap etc?

liz

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:00 pm

HienoMies said:

BTW, have you seen any video where Raspi is handled with person wearing proper ESD protection, wrist strap etc?

You'll see some video of work being done on Raspis if you skip back through the archives on the main page blog around Christmas time, where Pete and Eben are both togged up with wrist straps.

And here, for those who are not familiar with her from her recent half-second cameo in a Slashdot video, is Mooncake.

Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

TheEponymousBob

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 pm

I guess we"ll just do what we always do if Harvey gets too interested in something: quick spray with a water-pistol. I can"t see any way in which that could go wrong...

liz said:

Mooncake *did* try to eat one, though (or rather its anti-static bag).

Oh, not another one with an unhealthy appetite for plastic, is she? Harv would ignore a plate of fillet, if there were something in a clear plastic wrapper next to it. And the number of times we"ve found the remains of the postman"s red rubber bands in his... ahem... "Châteauneuf du Poop"...

dipstick

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:44 am

hmm, my cat is too lazy to bother getting close to my sensitive toys or chew on wires. but one could use compressed air to scare them away if need be. mine is "trained" to the point where she flees at the sight of the can.

Cardboard boxes with small holes for the cables could help shield it from esd.

My two cents.

riffraff

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 am

I really think the Pi is small enough to actually install in the cat. Case and ESD problem solved. We're done here.

hayesey

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am

I feel sorry for your cat if you are going to insert a credit card sized PCB inside it

If you need a case before anyone starts selling custom made ones (or indeed before the foundation starts selling the official ones) then just get a suitable size project box from Farnell or Maplins.

ledow

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Train your cat?  Seriously.

Yes, they're curious and will get into things (cardboard boxes of any kind are like cat-magnets in my experience), but you just train it not to do that kind of thing and/or keep away from things you don't want it to touch.

When my ex's cat (now my cat) scratched the white leather sofa she had, within a week the cat was trained not to sit on anything sofa-shaped or white at all. To this day, 10 years later, that same cat will huddle into the tiniest, tiniest space on top of a coloured blanket on a white sofa, and not set one paw on the white parts.  She also responds to "Down" (a generic "don't do that" command), "settle" (i.e. "I don't mind you sitting on me but get that tail out of my face so I can watch the TV") and a handful of other commands (not least, her name yelled in her general direction - but you do feel an idiot yelling "Star" everywhere.  I blame my ex).

Sadly, this training back-fired slightly as her new home had a black sofa, but again a week later she was trained to sleep on her little radiator bed (which is also technically half-on the sofa) or a brown blanket.

Given that my cat is the DUMBEST cat in the world (from suicidal fox-hunts of epic proportions - we almost attributed that "largest fox killed" story in the news recently to her, until we read it - to just not recognising that meowing to go out on the door NEXT to the catflap won't get much done, or that meowing for food only to sniff it and walk off will not make your owners happy), I can't imagine that others would have too much of a problem training their cats.

If all else fails, connect your cat's collar to an earthing strap.

riffraff

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:12 am

Training a cat. Seriously?

Many years ago (ye gods, too many) while I still lived with my parents, we had a fiesty, hyper-intelligent and rebellious orange tabby. My mother had read some articles on cat training and purchased a pack of three small water pistols, the kind that look like little alien ray guns, and let us each keep one handy. The objective was to keep said feline off of the tables and counters. The method was two warnings; "Down NOW!!" followed by a squirt.

This seemed to work for a while. The cat began to anticipate the coming shot when he saw us go for our guns and would quickly leave the scene.  When we were at work, our water weapons were placed in high, supposedly unreachable, places.

We returned one evening to find our cat pacing back and forth between us and the door to the basement stairs until we acknowledge the pile of green, red and yellow shards below. He'd managed to retrieve our pistols from their respective hidey-holes, open the locked door to the basement stairwell, and toss each one of them down the 13 steep stairs to their doom on the concrete floor.

Return to “General discussion”