alysko

how to suspend/restart ?

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:36 am

Hi,

I would like to replace expensive thin clients by raspi. I test it with rpitc distro which works fine with RDP.

But it's not conceivable to provide a system that can not be turned off (or suspend) and restart without having to plug / unplug : end users have extremely limited knowledge of computers.

Is it possible to turn on and off (or similar : goal is 1/ to restart if a bug occurs 2/ to "stop" the machine to reduce power consumption) with a key combination, for example? Or another solution?

Thanks.

ghans

Re: how to suspend/restart ?

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:23 am

• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

rpdom

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:32 pm

To save 90%+ of power - turn off screen and leave RPi on :)

Example: One of my screens (old 15" LCD) uses 39W when active. The Pi uses 3W. So the screen takes 93% of the total power.

alysko

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks.
Ok, this is not primarily to save energy. Above all, it's to make a reset in case of bug.

And I didn't say, but I don't want to increase the cost of the set (I already have to buy the case).

So, first solution : beuurrrkkk, don't want to corrupt SDcard and system. People
Third solution : too expensive
Second solution : EXCELLENT ! No for all kind of situation, I did not know there was a watchdog.

It is curious that there is no box with a button connected to GPIO.

Just found this reset button project : http://rpi.tnet.com/project/hardware/resetbutton

oohhh ! Another great surprise ! model B rev 2 have a reset :) http://raspi.tv/2012/making-a-reset-swi ... spberry-pi
I just have to find "2-pins" and reset switch :)

Return to “General discussion”