Nick Brian Walters

Re: Fake website popped up on youtube

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:20 pm

I keep track of new vids on youtube, as I like to hear any news or opinions on the Pi, and this one popped up with a link to a site with most of it's content copied from this one, and a paypal button for $35. I think someone should work on getting this down before anyone is duped. the site is http://buyraspberrypi.weebly.com and here is the vid :

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks. Jack (who, poor thing, has ended up in charge of takedown notices) is on it now - many thanks for the pointer.

I'm really disgusted about this. It's the most blatant one we've seen yet, and it doesn't half leave a nasty taste in the mouth. Who on earth thinks stealing from a charity's well-wishers is remotely acceptable? And who on earth doesn't suffer any pangs of conscience for a period of time long enough to rip off and set up a website?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

spamel

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:49 pm

WOW! That is a direct copy of this site!  What a cheek, using a charity to rip people off.  Can you still get hung drawn and quartered for that?

liz

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:54 pm

I bloody wish.

spamel

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Must be just a special place in hell then; chin up Liz.  You're still our fave!

spamel

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:59 pm

No really, you are our fave! lol

gritz

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Good spot Nick!

Liz, is there a "direct line" for reporting scams? I suppose if someone spots an obvious scam I guess they should report it directly to e.g. Youtube as well since time is of the essence.

Maybe there could be a notice re. Foundation policy on the homepage?

liz

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I'll add something to the FAQ (ha! As if anyone will read it…) - but in general, it's best to email me directly if you see something, and if it's on a site where you have the ability to put in a complaint, please do that too. My address is on the contacts page.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 pm

This quote seems appropriate:

"The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion that people will not do unspeakable things for money." – Dana Carpender

Translation: People will do anything for money.   And their B-School colleagues will applaud them for doing so.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

boarsblood

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Don't know if it will help but I've reported the Video to YouTube for fraud, and the website to google and weebly.

n3tw0rk5

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Site is down now, didnt take long

rmm200

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Most important - I hope someone reported it to Paypal. They can refund anyone charged.

PiOfCube

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:32 am

The R-Pi posse will round them up...

Usually you can report to the site that's hosting the video etc... Blogs and the such-like are easy to report if they are hosted but if they are hosting the site on their own server it can be more difficult.

However, it can still be done.

You can search for the domain (website address without the extra stuff after .com etc) on sites such as http://www.whois.net and you will get the details of the owner... But reporting the site to the owner will do no good, because the owner of the site is the one putting the scam online (if they are hosting it themselves). Also sometimes the record will have privacy protection... Again action can still be taken...

Look down to the "name server" if you can not get any real information from the domain registration records.

You will see entries like "ns1.somehost.com", this will often mean you can go to "www.somehost.com" and you will be at the website's host company. You can then complain to them *nicely* and give a link to the site they host. Usually, the host will have no idea or connection to the user who is paying them for the site so don't vent your spleen at them
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

Nick Brian Walters

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 am

You're very welcome. I certainly don't require any thanks though, I'm just glad I could do a small part to help ensure something as disgusting as this was stopped.

More then anything I thank Raspberry Pi. As a kid I looked up to people like Steve Wozniak, Captain Crunch, or Kevin Mitnick, and I loved electronics and computers. I see a glimmer of that nostalgia in Raspberry Pi and hope you lots of luck, and a lack of horrible people like these guys.

I've had nothing but fun studying, wondering, and lately even Vloging about the Pi, so :

THANK YOU

Return to “General discussion”