joegreen

Keyboard and mouse with raspberry pi model a.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi, i got my raspberry pi yesterday and I've installed raspbian wheezy on it. However, because its the model a, there's only one USB port on it. Now, i have a USB hub thingy but when i plug the keyboard and mouse into it they don't work. I've got a feeling that the RP can't supply enough power to it. Is there anyway i can have both plugged in at the same time? I'm sorry if this question has already been asked but i'm new to this forum.

Thanks in advance, Joseph.

rpdom

Re: Keyboard and mouse with raspberry pi model a.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:30 pm

You really should use a USB hub with its own power supply. The Pi isn't designed to supply more than the minimum power requirements for USB.

Having said that, some keyboards and mice don't seem to work with the Pi :(

joegreen

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't realise you could get ones with its own power supply. I've tried the keyboard and mouse seperatley and they both work. Also, why did the Raspberry pi have only one USB port, it doesn't make sense.

Cloudcentric

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 pm

It is about choice hence why offer an A & B Model

http://downloads.element14.com/raspberr ... spi-org-hp
I know everything about nothing"

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:47 am

joegreen wrote:Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't realise you could get ones with its own power supply. I've tried the keyboard and mouse seperatley and they both work. Also, why did the Raspberry pi have only one USB port, it doesn't make sense.
There are two models, The A has one USB port, the B has two USB ports and an ethernet port. That's why it's $10 more...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”