AlWebb

Re: The Foundation

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 am

Just can't find anything about the foundation / charity's work - is there a section I am missing? Is it simply about making and selling a cheap computer that hopefully more people can actually afford?

abishur

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:11 am

Check the about us page
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Skygod

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:38 am

Abishur said:

Check the about us page

Abishur,

The OP has a point. The homepage blog just looks to be about the device itself now and there's no link in the Top Menu, so I guess this is something that needs to be addressed quickly.

ds18s20

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:40 am

Where can one find your filing with HM Revenue and Customs?

PiOfCube

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:45 am

ds18s20 said:

Filings would be with the Charities Commission:

http://www.charity-commission......ryNumber=0
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

Skygod

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 am

This is an excerpt from the Homepage of one of the Trustees :

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rdm34/raspi/

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity that aims to promote the study of computer science and electronics at the school level.

The Challenge

We believe that everyone can benefit from a solid foundation in computer science as they do from one in mathematics. The skills it provides are becoming increasingly important to our economy as computer systems are used to enhance an ever wider range of human endeavours.

Computer science describes how computers work, how they may be programmed and even helps determine how hard a problem will be to answer. This is in stark contrast to ICT or IT skills that simply teach how to use computers and their applications. Unfortunately, many young people are only ever exposed to ICT courses rather than the much broader, richer and exciting world of computing. The ability to write even simple programs is a powerful tool for helping solve difficult problems or for just having fun! Of course, thinking like a computer scientist also means more than being able to program. Designing algorithms, using abstraction and decomposition, selecting appropriate representations, learning how to build  correct, robust and scalable systems are now key skills in the information age.

The Computing at School working group describe the challenges faced at school in this area.

The Raspberry Pi Computer

Our first project is an ultra-low-cost (and low-power) computer.

It will provide an ideal environment for experimenting with programming and electronics. The final computer will be credit-card sized, fanless, will start almost instantly, consume  at most 2 watts of power and cost 22 pounds/$35 for the Model-B  (15 pounds/$25 for Model-A).

Of course there are numerous other applications for a powerful and low-cost computer including helping to close the digital divide.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:02 am

ds18s20 said:

And why on earth would you want that?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Kernel

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:21 am

JamesH said:

ds18s20 said:

And why on earth would you want that?

Legitimacy is one reason - a lot of small companies who start online can be scams (especially in the area of webhosting) so people try and look for proper registered companies etc.

- Though in this case it isn't as necessary i.e. the foundation has been on the BBC etc.

- He also probably means a set of accounts (so charity commission as already mentioned) rather than tax returns

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:50 am

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is also registered as a UK company: see

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.....ompdetails

(If the link doesn't work, goto http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk click on WebCheck, then Raspberry Pi Foundation in the search box)

Tass

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:52 am

Does it really matter? The foundation CERTAINLY isn"t making any money selling the Pi at this price and anything they might make is going straight back in. Is there anything that you might find out that would prevent you from buying a Pi? The way the foundation operate is up to them really, and the goal of this project is to get this into the educational sector - selling to us is just a by-product/means to achieve their goal.

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Tass said:

Does it really matter? The foundation CERTAINLY isn"t making any money selling the Pi at this price and anything they might make is going straight back in. Is there anything that you might find out that would prevent you from buying a Pi? The way the foundation operate is up to them really, and the goal of this project is to get this into the educational sector - selling to us is just a by-product/means to achieve their goal.

It does matter to some, and it should perhaps matter toall of us. There is information in the public domain (see the links to Charity commission and Company House in earleir posts) that anyone is entitled to access to.

The way the Foundation operates ISN'T entirely up to them - they have to work within several sets of rules and regulations, and their goals (and everything they do) are determined by their charitable aims:

"TO FURTHER THE ADVANCEMENT OF EDUCATION OF ADULTS AND CHILDREN, PARTICULARLY IN THE FIELD OF COMPUTERS, COMPUTER SCIENCE AND RELATED SUBJECTS"

Believe me, running a charity is by no means an easy way to fame and fortune!

steviewevie

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:05 pm

It's a fair question guys, especially for those new to the product/Foundation/website, don't bite the OP's head off !

Matthew Jones

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:12 pm

ds18s20 said:

Given that money has only just started comming in, there wouldmay not be any returns to HMRC until April 2013. (that's the deadline, they can submit for FY 2011/12 any time after April 2012)

abishur

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Getting back to the actual point of the thread

Skygod said:

Abishur said:

Check the about us page

Abishur,

The OP has a point. The homepage blog just looks to be about the device itself now and there's no link in the Top Menu, so I guess this is something that needs to be addressed quickly.

There's no link to the about us page on the top menu?

tufty

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Goddamn it.  Bloody database errors.  Let's try again.  And copy the post before hitting send.

It used to be that the "About Us" page had a short and succinct description of the Raspberry Pi Foundation's goals, and how the Raspberry Pi model A and B SBCs were intended to further those goals.

That is no longer the case.  the "About Us" page is now a bunch of waffle, and it appears to now contradict the originally stated goals, ending as it does with:

We want to break the paradigm where without spending hundreds of pounds on a PC, families can’t use the internet. We want owning a truly personal computer to be normal for children.

This, at least to my jaded and cynical view, is the complete opposite of the originally stated goals - these were about educating children (in particular) to the point where they understand and control (more specifically, are able to program) the technology in their grasp rather than blindly using it.

Now, it may be that the foundation have, in fact, done a total "about turn" and are now producing something intended to be used in the current status quo of ICT (i.e. word processing and filling in spreadsheets with the help of a handheld calculator) rather than trying to break the mould but I'd hope not.  The twisted old cynic in me says that the current emphasis on selling a frickin' media player rather than an educational computer might actually indicate that this is the case.

In any case, it would be a bloody good idea to have a separate, easily accessible, page which enumerates the foundation's goals (whatever they are now) and how the Pi is supposed to help them.  Y'know, like there used to be.

Simon

khulat

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Maybe your twisted old cynic should read more carefully. I just read the About us page, and i think it is rather clear in its message.

I suppose this is the old page that you mean?

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity (Registration Number 1129409) which exists to promote the study of computer science and related topics, especially at school level, and to put the fun back into learning computing.

We plan to develop, manufacture and distribute an ultra-low-cost computer, for use in teaching computer programming to children. We expect this computer to have many other applications both in the developed and the developing world.

Our first product is about the size of a USB key, and is designed to plug into a TV or be combined with a touch screen for a low cost tablet. The expected price is $25 for a fully-configured system.

How would you use an ultra-low-cost computer? Do you have open-source educational software we can use? Contact us at info@raspberrypi.org.

I for one don't see the big change, other than a plus of information. And they left out the bits about the USB key.

PS: Damn those database errors.

abishur

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:39 pm

The entire paragraph that your quote comes from says

We don’t claim to have all the answers. We don’t think that the Raspberry Pi is a fix to all of the world’s computing issues; we do believe that we can be a catalyst. We want to see cheap, accessible, programmable computers everywhere; we actively encourage other companies to clone what we’re doing. We want to break the paradigm where without spending hundreds of pounds on a PC, families can’t use the internet. We want owning a truly personal computer to be normal for children. We think that 2012 is going to be a very exciting year.

It certainly true that the page has become a better about us page in that it really talks more about who they are and where they came from, and a "our goals" page would probably be beneficial (you know in their free time ) when the paragraph is taken in its entirety, it would appear that their goal is still to improve programming abilities, and their means to accomplish that goal is by making "owning a truly personal computer to be normal for children."

jacklang

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:56 pm

From the Foundation's original manifesto:

The Raspberry Pi Foundation exists to promote the study of Computer Science and