Re: RS Components FAQ

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:54 pm

They just made a tweet linking to a FAQ on their sale of the R-pi

Here's the link
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Kernel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Along with other suppliers of Raspberry Pi, we are expecting our first shipment of boards during March. For this reason, we are asking anyone interested in purchasing a Raspberry Pi to register their interest.

That isn't really what the raspi site told us on the day - it seemed like they were ready for sale immediately - also where are the 10k boards that were made and due end of feb?

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Yeah it seems like there was a communication failure at some point.  Instead of doing a pre-order they kinda did a pre-pre-order.  From what we've been told, the 10k boards are made and are in the process of being shipped to the distributors.  They still have to go through import junk which means that while they're done being made and being shipped they won't arrive until March.  Basically they're just avoiding giving a firm date on when the boards will be in their warehouse
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

timgiles

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Great job RS. Some actual FACTS

Lets hope the email appears and they publish some batch size stats

prodata

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 pm

The important question that's not answered AFAICS though is what happens to those people who thought that they had successfully registered an interest** but who then fail to receive an email. I guess we'll need to wait until all emails have definitively been sent out by RS before concluding for sure that this is a problem, but it does seem possible or even likely for some of us at present.

** This will have been the first time that anyone would have seen the relevant RS web pages and so obviously won't have known for sure what to expect from an acknowledgement page, especially at a time when the RS site was extremely slow or timing out completely. At this distance, I can't honestly remember what the order/acknowledgement pages looked like exactly. But let's suggest that if someone pressed the submit button (or whatever it might have been called) and eventually received some page in return (ie the RS site didn't simply time out or return an error page) that the submission was accepted.

Kernel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm

prodata said:

The important question that's not answered AFAICS though is what happens to those people who thought that they had successfully registered an interest** but who then fail to receive an email.

I tried a few times in the morning and the page just refreshed not until hours later did I actually get to submit the form and get the correct submission acknowledgement (and only after seeing that you needed to get this on twitter) - no email yet though

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 pm

Well there's still hope. As I was browsing this very thread just now, the title of the tab holding my googlemail page changed to "Inbox (1)" and guess what

Whooopppie!

11:33pm on a Saturday, hats off to whoever is still working at RS.

For what it's worth, it looks like this:

Thank you for your registration

Dear Customer

Thank you for joining the Raspberry Pi revolution and registering your interest in Raspberry Pi’s Model B board from RS Components.

We have received extraordinary levels of demand for this product. To help ensure as many people as possible can experience the Raspberry Pi concept, we are limiting boards to one per customer, and we will send you further information on your request in the next seven days. Once we receive the boards into stock, they will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, in order of when requests were received.

Thank you for your patience; we will be in touch as soon as possible with more details.

semtex

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 pm

rurwin said:

Well there's still hope. As I was browsing this very thread just now, the title of the tab holding my googlemail page changed to "Inbox (1)" and guess what

Whooopppie!

Me too! I expressed my interest at 6:10am… and I also received the above email 20 minutes ago

Now, did they process 5000 "interests" in less than 10 minutes? Guess we'll find out sometime next week!

the_dude

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 am

well what do you know! me too! just about given up hope....RS are actually speaking to me...who knows...maybe getting up early was worth the unbelieving shaking of the head of my sweet - no geeky, but irreplaceable - girl as I tried to explain why I was doing it. O yes, and before I forget, thank you Eben and Liz....Amazing product and amazing dedication, you deserve both a hug (((>>>>^^<<<<)))

Return to “General discussion”