abishur

Re: A plea to the Foundation re. MPEG-2

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:36 pm

ghans wrote:If you go a bit back in this thread you'll see that I asked for V8 encoding/decoding .

The response was (implied and explicit) :

1) It is experimental and we can not bear even one n00b / stupid press person
complaining about bugs (i'm guessing this here)
2) There is no V8 content ( they sounded like implying this)
3) It is only SD quality ( they said something about the impossibility to use
the same modes of HW accel. already used by h.264)

And:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/592

ghans
1. No one ever said anything about being able to bear n00b questions, nor implied it. Indeed, it seemed like everyone made sure to take the time to answer your questions.
2. They asked what you would do with it out of curiosity rather than implying that there was nothing to do with it.
3. I saw no reference to the quality, but I was doing a fairly high view skim of this thread.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

naplam

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for your replies. Basically, I want to use it to encode webcam recordings. Right now there is simply no way to do it without using a lot of cpu, a low framerate, low resolution and lots of disk space. I don't need that specific codec, just one good enough and fast enough, but seeing there were licensing problems with others, this one seemed like a good alternative. Anyway, I take it there is no encoding possible in GPU hardware right now, right? I guess something will come with the camera module I hope it will be available soon :)

ghans

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:11 pm

@abishur

Ooops. :oops:

No , thats not what i meant. I can see now that i may have misunderstood the lack of time as opposition.
I stand corrected :) .

When i said that i'd like to create a DVR with WebM as main format i also considered recoding my existing collection.
Because there were no further comments , i thought the foundation didn't want to follow the WebM-enabled blob route.
Upon reading again , it is obvoius that there were more important things to do. I didn't know about Gertboard / MultiOrder and all those other things going on back then - thats why i might sound foolish.
My memory is quite off , it seems. (Suppose its time i should have a look into that ..)

Hadn't Liz mentioned that she wanted to be reminded of never a doing start-up again ? :lol:
I think i can relate better now.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I am closing this thread with ENORMOUS pleasure - because we've got some good news for you. Come and discuss it in the General forum!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”