timgiles

Re: Liz - I assume the 'limit' has now been requested to be removed?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:45 am

Liz,

Can we assume that the limit of 1 per address has now (ie. for all future orders) been removed on both RS and Farnell sites? If not can a request go out please. If we are needing to wait 8-10 weeks to get an RPi, it seems soppy not to allow the true size of the need not to become known to both companies.

Congrats on the coverage, hope the chinese workers are not having any more weeks off for a bit!

Michael

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:34 am

Personal view: I would expect the restrictions to be in place for another month or so.  Note that you can indicate to Element 14 (Farnell/Newark) the quantity you want as their FAQ explains:

Q. How many can each customer buy?

Currently the limit is 1 each. We are trying to allow as many people as possible get a first look at these and as more quantities are manufactured, we will be sure to loosen those restrictions. Based on our systems, it is possible for people to pre-order more than one, but when it comes time for shipment, that number will automatically reduce to one. Customers will only be charged for the quantity shipped.

http://www.element14.com/commu.....spberry-pi

I would expect RS (electrocomponents plc/Allied Electronics) to have a broadly similar policy when they start taking orders.  Here is a link to their UK FAQ for referrence:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ge.....-questions

arm2

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:13 am

Whilst raspberrypi.org was a static page (Weds-Fri) it said: "Starting in a month or so, you will be able to place batch orders with both Premier Farnell and RS Components for as many units as you want;" I suspect it might be two to three months

timgiles

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:07 pm

The Foundation has ALWAYS stated that once the initial first batch were sold, the ordering would return to normal.

The 10k have GONE. I have no idea where, but they are certainly not in Farnell or RS available to order. What is are numerous hidden links or pre order / intererest pages.

If the 10k are sold, which they are, 15 times over. There is NO reason not to open up for any new orders/interest put forward. This will ensure that Farnell and RS are ramping up production sufficiently. IF we have a situation where either partner limits the supposed supply, it could be 6 months before we are at a situation where the RPi can be produced and stocked/sold on demand without a huge waiting list.

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:58 pm

It does seem pointless to hold the limit to one per address. Particularly as Farnell account customers can actually just wang one in with each order they place - if I order a few times a month I should have quite a nice queue of them coming in - which given my propensity to frying the GPIO of any board I lay my hands on would be a good thing.

The only trouble with this is that Farnell/RS will need some commitment from the person who wants to order 2/20/200/2000 etc, lest the order be cancelled on them.

Two suppliers for a high demand product makes for interesting forward planning on production.

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:51 pm

I don't know, as someone who didn't get one I'd certainly like to keep things at 1 per customer until the initial rush dies.  I know that since the distributors are able to directly order new batches it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I also know that if someone pre-orders a couple thousand before I can get my order for 1 in, that might delay me by a batch.  One batch not to big a deal, but if there are *several* people who want to be ordering massive amounts (which I know there are based off the forum threads) then letting them get more than one could delay my measly little single board by months until things even out here.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Lakes

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:27 pm

So was the first 10k sold by the Foundation or by Farnell/RS?

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Farnell/RS

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm talking to RS and Farnell on Monday to find out what their plans are - this is one of the things we'll be discussing, so I should be able to give you an answer then. We made it clear this was something we wanted for the first batch to dissuade the eBay scammers; it *might* still be necessary if demand is really, really high, but I hope we can get rid of the limit as soon as we can.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lynbarn

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Lakes said:

So was the first 10k sold by the Foundation or by Farnell/RS?

They were, it seems, sold by the two distributors, although none have actually arrived with their customers yet.

Slightly further ahead, I was wondering, if Farnell and RS are taking on manufacture:

Will they be sharing joint production facilities?

Will there be any differentiation (board colour, perhaps) between the two companies' products?

Will they (perhaps optionally) be populating the DSI and GPIO headers?

Time, I guess, will tell...

Bakul Shah

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I had asked Farnell on Feb 29th about this and had mentioned that the 1 per customer limit was supposed to be only for the first batch of 10K. Their answer in part was:

We shall be limiting it to 1 for the foreseeable future

Hope they can ship additional units once everyone who has ordered gets one unit each.

Smartybones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 pm

I assume the whole point of getting companies like RS and Farnell on board was to take the restrictions that Raspberry have in ways of production runs off.

The first order of !0,000 units Raspberry had was limited to that number purely by the amount of money Raspberry was able to raise from the banks. I dont suppose the banks would be interested in a list of 100,000 peoples email addresses as proof that they need 10 times as much cash for a production run... in fact the way the banks are, it probably would have made them stand firm on limiting the cash they would release to fund a production run, knowing that if only 1 in ten actually converted to a sale, then they were sure of getting the money back...soon..

now that RS and Farnell are on board, they have the clout and the money to just tell the manufacturer's to build 100,000 units and it will get done.....

the problem that RS and Farnell have right now is how many to order. They proberbly have back orders for 50,000 or more units each, but they need more than that so they can keep stock in the distribution centres... and thats the problem, how many more? is this first mass interest all the computer geeks wanting a bit of Pi and once they all have one or two, then sales fall off to next to nothing? or will there be a steady stream of customers for years to come with an annual burst of sales as the mk2,3,4 and 5 are released with added ram or faster processors....

the first indications is that the Pi is going to be a massive success, but the proof in the pudding (pi) will be how the sales pan out in the next 12 to 18 months, once more than single units can be bought in the education sector. So as far as raspberry is concerned, the sooner the educational packs of cased Pi's can be brought to market and sold in batches of 30 to 50 units at a time the better, and come the beginning of each educational year, the same order is placed again for the new batch of students from the same education providers.

a massive boost would be to get someone like the open university to run a course, teaching programming on the Pi and supply a pi as part of the course fee.

Bakul Shah

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Just looking at all the ideas people are talking about on this forum I suspect there will be many more non-educational uses for the 'Pi. And this is *before* most people have had a chance to play with one. IIRC, in an old post I guessed a couple million sold in the first year; but in reality it is impossible to predict at this point just what will happen because this is such a mold-breaking device! If just one must-have toy built around the 'Pi is ready to ship by Christmas 2012, all bets are off!! On the other hand the idea of building a consumer market device around the 'Pi is fraught with risks as well....

chewable

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:27 am

I placed an order for 3 boards from Element 14 (Farnell US) yesterday and I received a confirmation of the order today.  It'll take two full months to ship, though.  I placed the order on March 3rd and the boards won't ship until May 4.

abishur

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:34 am

chewable said:

I placed an order for 3 boards from Element 14 (Farnell US) yesterday and I received a confirmation of the order today.  It'll take two full months to ship, though.  I placed the order on March 3rd and the boards won't ship until May 4.

You should be aware that according to their FAQ, that they'll automatically reduce it to 1 board when they ship and only charge you for the single board.

Return to “General discussion”