fulburncams

Re: Have's and Have Nots

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:34 am

Hi

Congratulations to the Raspi team. Will there be a new topic to capture experiences of those who have real cards (and for those of us who have not - i have to make beleive with Virtual Box etc,  best guess delivery " 23 April !! at best - thanks Farnell").  I could do with some feedback on the real GPIO stuff, there is only so much simulation you can do in VBox.

Thanks to all at RasPi - Fantastic Job

S

fernando

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:40 am

I am Nots.

chromatic

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:53 am

I ordered mine from newark.com. Despite signing up at about 0601 UTC on announce day, my estimated ship date will be May 14th. Oh well, I guess I'll get mine eventually. Does this make me a have, or a have-not?

fernando

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:55 am

Chromatic, you"re a Have not yets.

lobster

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 am

How exciting. Eh ma Ho (Tibetan = How wonderful) a little UK charity goes marketing viral. Bravo. An education for the kids when they set up the Quantum Raspberry Foundation of the future.

I was locked out of the two supplier sites despite getting there in 20 to 30 seconds past 6 AM . . . waiting . . . clapping my tiny geek hands in excitement as I swapped between the countdown clock and the Rpi site . . . up all night in case of falling into a raspberry stupour.

I have not been able to get past expressing an interest. I have done this twice now to both suppliers. Puppy Linux users abroad seem to have been able to get to the ordering stage. I am still awaiting email info other than about the element 14 site. As we all know it is not the size of your Pi but how many raspberries you get . . . Viva Raspberrians everywhere . . . don't be a custard . . . stay fruity . . .

cnxsoft

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 am

I've ordered during the first hour with element14, but I still don't know if I'm a have or have not, as I have not received a delivery date yet. Probably have not.

Skygod

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:12 am

cnxsoft said:

I've ordered during the first hour with element14, but I still don't know if I'm a have or have not, as I have not received a delivery date yet. Probably have not.

Did you order through the Thai site and get hit with ridiculous shipping charge?

dh04000

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:14 am

I must have hit that button "really" fast. I got a April 3rd ship date. Grat's to everyone who got a decent ship date! I'm amazed that I got one, after the sites DDOS'ed I gave up on hoping to get one. So it was a cool surprise when I got the email this morning!

I'm really excited for it to arrive! I'm going to start working on my enclosure now so it'll be ready to receive the R-Pi when it gets here!

Grats on the successful launch R-Pi crew!

PS: I picked standard shipping from the newark/farnell site and got zero shipping cost. Did anyone else get zero shipping?  was confused by that.

Prometheus

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:26 am

I relented on waiting for the official cases, built a preliminary one out of Lego, and went ahead and pre-ordered from Farnell who estimate delivery around April 30th, so I guess I'm also a "Have-not-yet".

cnxsoft

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 am

Skygod said:

cnxsoft said:

I"ve ordered during the first hour with element14, but I still don"t know if I"m a have or have not, as I have not received a delivery date yet. Probably have not.

Did you order through the Thai site and get hit with ridiculous shipping charge?

I did try to order via the Thai site, but I was alone at the time, it was in Thai and could not find a way to change it to English, so I finally ordered via Element14 Singapore. I"ve paid 55 SGD (around 44 USD) but I expect to be hit by taxes (7.5% VAT + 30% import duty) when the device enters Thailand, so the total should be around 60 USD.

Robert_M

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:20 am

I consider myself a "have-not-on-his-way-to-becoming-a-have," if you please.

5 + 12 = 125 (due to Mercury in retrograde.)
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

tzj

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:34 am

@ Lobster

"Viva Raspberrians everywhere . . . don"t be a custard . . . stay fruity . . ."

that"s gonna be a meme in no time!
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

TheEponymousBob

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:48 am

Alas I was too ill to even try to get in for the 6am announcement, but from what I"ve read, I probably saved myself a frustrated hour or two.

The licensing model was something of a curveball, and one that will no doubt have those with an inflated sense of entitlement posting just how much they hate everyone involved with the Raspi, but for what it"s worth, I think it was the right choice, and expect it will get the board in far more people"s hands far quicker than the discrete-batch model. It also neatly fills the demands for pre-ordering and local distribution.

So while I"ll have to remain patient for now, I"d still offer congratulations to the foundation for creating an Internet-meltingly desirable product, and for actually going ahead and making changes to their plans to address the wishes of their customers, while no-doubt knowing it"d lead to some degree of dummy-spitting in the short term.

AndyD

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:24 am

Not me! Took me ages to work out the two distributors. Once I made it to the Australian element14 site I was able to make an order, but I haven't got a expected delivery date as yet.

Lob0426

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:57 am

Well I will be a have not as most americas (not just american) got kicked out. I was registering on RS in the first couple of minutes, then the site went down for me then I could not get back until the next day. I originally got A 3/31/12 date from Element 14 (farnell) then it has been moved back to 5/11/12. $35 with no shipping or packaging estimate. So I have no idea when I will be a have, or how much.

I'll keep you posted.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Tass

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:25 am

I"m a "have" - 12th March (sorry, don"t mean to rub it in ) - I"ll be blogging my first experiences and am happy to help out with anything you need.

pandapi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:31 am

I didn"t try til 5 hours after launch. Pre-ordered with uk farnell and got an email confirmation and deliver date of 16th April.
Registered with rs also but not heard anything

itsonlyme

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 am

I am another lucky 12th March. How I am not sure as my order through Farnell is timed at 08:03, my guess is that I just caught them as they came back from a crash. I had been getting please try later, or timed update messsages. (or something like that). I also registered an interest with RS very shortly after 06:00 but have not heard from them at all. I will not be attempting to buy a second pi at this time, so if they respond I will decline unless a problem has arisen with the Farnell order. That will move all you RS's up one in the queue!!

I will post my first experiences as I although I am very familiar with windows (Before retiring I worked in software support) I have absolutly no linux knowledge. A big learning experience for me to come.

n3tw0rk5

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:40 am

I was down as 12th of march on the order confirmation email, phoned Farnell to check and was advised it would be the end of April.

dawilson123

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:47 am

I also had an ETA for 12/3/12 and after n3tw0rk5's comment about the ETA date on the order confirmation being potentially bogus, I have checked with Farnell (I spoke to a helpful guy in their CSD) and I report the following (this only applies to Farnell):

Batch 1 - all stock (500 units) allocated within the first couple of minutes after 6am. Delivery imminent.

Batch 2 - all stock (800 units) allocated within the first hour. I clicked the buy button just before 7am, but it took me about half and hour to finish the order process with possibly a repetitive strain injury incurred after having to click the Refresh button so many times. Farnell are expecting to receive the delivery on 8/3/12, hence customers allocated R-Pis from Batch 2, should receive their R-Pi w/c 12/3/12.

He didn't mention any specifics about further batches beyond Farnell having a 17,000 back order after batches 1 and 2.

I am one of the lucky ones and Farnell have confirmed that I have been allocated an R-Pi from Batch 2 and should receive it in about 2-weeks time. I'm chuffed to bits.

In my opinion, I would check with Farnell if your order confirmation states an ETA of 12/3/12, following n3tw0rk5's comment, because this ETA may or may not be accurate. It was worth the 5-minute telephone call for my own piece of mind.

d_brennen

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Should have been sold on eBay imo. World wide reach and they have the guts for the traffic

n3tw0rk5

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:21 pm

I wonder if that why what i'm being charged has been upped by £2.40 as i've been moved into the 3rd batch which doesnt ship till the end of april,

Managed to get onto the order page at around 6.45 but the order wasnt completed till 7.10, due to the pages taking forever to respond.

Ah well will see what happens.

itsonlyme

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Further to my post above and dawilson123 post. I have checked with Farnell and am now mystified. On phone they were talking about early - mid April but that does not fit what n3tw0rk5 says as his order was 53 minutes before mine. As he says "Ah well will see what happens."

Where have the rest gone? Batch 1 =500, Batch 2 =800. That totals 1300, but half of 10000=5000. Where are the other 3700? Are there some Raspberrys stuck in Cyber-Creme?

Matthew Jones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:45 pm

d_brennen said:

Should have been sold on eBay imo. World wide reach and they have the guts for the traffic

Hahahaha 'cos eBay are well known to be able to manufacture the boards.

Web presence and commerce is only part of the story here! Ok its the bit you see, but its the structure, funding and manufacture that these companies bring that is the real benefit here.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:28 pm

d_brennen said:

Ebay may have worked for the first batch, but what about all the subsequent ones? Foundation would have needed to get the money on, then order the next batch. (perhaps 20k)  A slow process to get boards to all who want one. With the scheme now, RS and Farnell can manufacturer as many boards as they need RIGHT NOW.

Teething problems aside, it's a better long term system.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”