liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: So: what do you all think about the Model A news?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:32 am

The news that we've doubled the RAM in the Model A got a bit lost in the tsunami that was last week. The price is staying the same. Thoughts?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

grumpyoldgit

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:36 am

I'm not sure about it really. For me, the minimum requirement would include a NIC.

JeremyF

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:39 am

It seems good...the Model A is now much more appealing. I never needed the Ethernet (have USB WiFi, etc.) or second USB port (have hub, etc.) so saving 10 dollars but not sacrificing a big piece of performance is great. Will be what I buy for Pi #2.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Lynbarn

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:42 am

A welcome surprise! I did notice the announcement on the static page, and I'm glad you were able to do it before launching, I will probably stick with Model B's for most of whati want to do with them though.

So, what is your next surprise going to be?

liz

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:44 am

Ha - I don't think you'll be seeing any more surprises from us for a LONG time! There's a hell of a lot of work to do on what we have already, with the educational packages, spinning up this ridiculous global *thing* that's just materialised and so on.

Deedee

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:48 am

I don't know what the foundations next suprise will be, but i suspect companies like intel and ms will be looking to get in on their own slice of pi!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 am

i'm really happy.

Now to wait for the model A to be built and become available

liz

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:53 am

We're having a small test batch run up in the UK this week. If that's OK, we'll be moving straight to bulk.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:59 am

A free badge with every British made Pi?

Chasm

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:04 am

liz said:

The news that we've doubled the RAM in the Model A got a bit lost in the tsunami that was last week. The price is staying the same. Thoughts?

It's a nice change. Quite interesting if you can use a cheap WLAN stick instead of good old RJ45.

Which is not really an option for me. (Underutilizing the RasPi for data logging in a RF unfriendly environment is the goal.)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 am

liz said:

We're having a small test batch run up in the UK this week. If that's OK, we'll be moving straight to bulk.

great.

i was going to say something humourous/sarcastic about how to setup sales of the model A but i suspect that a model A would be forcefully inserted into my person somewhere the sun don't shine

Skygod

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:13 am

Well turns out that this has become the most important announcement for me. I'm initially looking to use an RPi as a Webserver and 128Mb would have been insufficient.The Model A with 256Mb will be ideal and it's $10 cheaper than the Model B which makes a big difference to me. Why?

Well here in Thailand there's a whopping 40% import duty to pay for an RPi!

RS quote a price equivalent to $59.85 (not quite sure how they have arrived at that figure, but Liz is on the case)

Farnell quote a price equivalent to $49 (+40% Duty), but they then charge a staggering $24.50 for Delivery (again, Liz is on the case) - $35 ends up as $73.50

HOWEVER, if the value of the item is less than 1000 THB ($33), then there is no duty payable, so as long as the 'ridiculous' delivery charge is resolved, I'm hoping that I'll get a Model A for somewhere in the region of $35.

I can source a cheap USB Hub with Ethernet for considerably less than $38 which is what I would have to pay for 'on board' functionality with the Model B.

4 + 1 = (Wow, I can do this one hand)

obarthelemy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:14 am

I think it was necessary, so it's a good move. It's still missing a least one USB port though, to allow for keyboard + mouse + wifi or ethernet or storage. As it is, a hub (extra cost) is almost mandatory.

Headline prices can be misleading. The Pi needs a bunch of extra stuff to be usable, which both adds to the cost, and makes the thing unwieldy.

Jessie

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:24 am

The news on model A is good news.  I have several projects that I wanted to use the model A but thought that 128MB was just not enough.

In fact I'm wondering what the point of the model B will be for me.  The NIC is important but in many cases now I will be able to select one that fits my needs instead of whatever is on there.  For instance there will be cases were I want a USB 2.0 to 1G ethernet just to extract as much performance as possible.  There will be other cases where I want only wireless.  For one project I need no networking at all, but will need the extra ram.

Ploggy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:27 am

Thought I should point out (if someone hasn't already) that the FAQ pic should be changed to reflect that the ram has been upgraded for Model A (still says 128mb)

AlienStCNX

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 am

I'm pleased about it since it will make software development easier. IIRC, most software ended up requiring a BBC B. People upgraded model As to a model Bs which one can't with the Raspberry Pi making the Raspberry PI model A more like an Electron than a real BBC B (with all the attending software incompatibilities). So yes, good call, especially if you run Linux without swap (Flash write limits and all that).

shirro

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:40 am

The RAM difference did endanger the Model A I think. It is a constrained device already and apps that would have struggled on the B would have been unusable on the A. The upgrade makes the A a much stronger option. It should help distributions and developers to have a reasonable and consistent minimum spec to target.

When you have conquered the low end is there any chance your mates at Broadcom could add a stronger ARM core. There is a space above the Raspberry Pi where the Beagle and Pandaboards sit which is a bit pricy and scarce.

cnxsoft

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:43 am

The model A with 256 MB is great news because it should be able to run most software and we can just add internet connectivity with a Wifi dongle or Ethernet USB dongle.

For some people, it may also be much cheaper than model B, because they will not be hit by import duty. Model B costs me around 60 USD with shipping and all sorts of taxes, whereas model A should cost me around 35 USD in total (if I'm right about duties).

Robert_M

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:26 am

I'd say the memory upgrade deserves rock hands.

\m/

Rawk on!
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

cnxsoft

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:52 am

Skygod said:

Well turns out that this has become the most important announcement for me. I'm initially looking to use an RPi as a Webserver and 128Mb would have been insufficient.The Model A with 256Mb will be ideal and it's $10 cheaper than the Model B which makes a big difference to me. Why?

Well here in Thailand there's a whopping 40% import duty to pay for an RPi!

RS quote a price equivalent to $59.85 (not quite sure how they have arrived at that figure, but Liz is on the case)

Farnell quote a price equivalent to $49 (+40% Duty), but they then charge a staggering $24.50 for Delivery (again, Liz is on the case) - $35 ends up as $73.50

HOWEVER, if the value of the item is less than 1000 THB ($33), then there is no duty payable, so as long as the 'ridiculous' delivery charge is resolved, I'm hoping that I'll get a Model A for somewhere in the region of $35.

I can source a cheap USB Hub with Ethernet for considerably less than $38 which is what I would have to pay for 'on board' functionality with the Model B.

4 + 1 = (Wow, I can do this one hand)

I hadn't seen your message before my post. I've got the same problem, but I don't think there is much we can do about it (unless we can change the regulations...). A few months ago, I planned to get a Pandaboard development board (US Price:174 USD), but I finally gave up. If I buy it in a shop in Thailand it would cost 10,900 Baht (356 USD), If I buy from a shop overseas, it's slightly better at around 300 USD (174 + 40 USD (shipping) + about 40% taxes on the total).

AndyD

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 am

Model A & B having the same amount of RAM should make things easier for everyone, especially the education market. It will mean that there are no issues with software not running on a Model A because there is not enough memory, but running fine on the Model B. A great outcome for the foundation and should pay off in spades down the track.

Prometheus

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:53 am

Fantastic news indeed!

I had initially envisioned using Model Bs for the various things I wanted to use them for, but some of them will probably end up being Model As instead now, since a USB hub and a WiFi dongle would have been necessary for those projects anyway (and Ethernet wouldn't have been needed).

TheEponymousBob

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:13 am

As someone with apparently no capacity for learning from mistakes, I glanced at the Slashdot comments for the launch. One poster actually complained about the extra memory in the A, since he had pre-purchased peripherals based on buying a model B because of the extra memory.

:facepalm:

Prometheus

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:29 am

^ I can't even understand what there would be to complain about in such a scenario... I mean, it's not like those suddenly become useless for a Model A...

TheEponymousBob

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:35 am

Then the A model suddenly has 256 MB RAM. Cool, except I already three month ago was buying accessories like a USB HUB in anticipation of a Q4 release be course the B model"s two USB ports doesn"t fit my needs nor did the 128 MB of the original A model. Today I need a totally different product.

Make of it what you will.

Return to “General discussion”