TheShack

Re: Raspberry Pi Name

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Just been explaining to my wife all about the r-pi and the foundations work.

One question. Why is it called the Raspberry Pi?

I searched the forum and could not find anything but that may have been me.

Thanks

Prometheus

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:26 pm

It's explained in this old thread, if that's of any help.

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 pm

it's in the FAQ

but it's fruit flavoured because there is a long standing fruit naming convention in Cambridge

and PI because of Python
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

secretreeve

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:35 pm

now, a fruit flavoured name is all well and good but i've spoken to alot of people about the Pi n they all think im ranting on about some sort of electronic PIE (i.e pastry dish)

its really quite amusing when you dont tell them its just the name of a computer, they look like thier heads wanna explode n almost do when you explain what the Pi actually is haha.

secretreeve

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm

now, a fruit flavoured name is all well and good but i've spoken to alot of people about the Pi n they all think im ranting on about some sort of electronic PIE (i.e pastry dish)

its really quite amusing when you dont tell them its just the name of a computer, they look like thier heads wanna explode n almost do when you explain what the Pi actually is haha.

seriously!!!! 3 times trying to post and EVERY time server error PLEASE FIX IT!!!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Well I know its there, because I've written about it more than once!

Ok.

Being nice.

Deep breath......

In the olden days of home microcomputers, there was a fruit naming tradition. As well as Apple, there was Apricot, Tangerine and so on.  As a sort of homage to those days, the computer was named Raspberry.

Now for the Pi - in the early development stages, the system was to be a relatively "simple" microcontroller running a version of the Python programming language in a similar manner to the old home micros running BASIC, and as Raspberry Python is a bit of a mouthful, it became Raspberry Pi.

Things have changed since then, but the name stuck.

As for the database errors, the system is taking a caning at the moment, for obvious reasons and there isn't the time to migrate to a bigger server. Once the Pi has launched, we are told that there WILL be a move to a bigger server and "better" software.

Patience, mon brave!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “General discussion”