rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: There's a time and a date on the front page...

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 pm

That's one on gmail who got one, but quite early on, and one off gmail who didn't.

Accounting for the built-in bias, I'd say that was definitely not conclusive

It's probably some ISPs, maybe including gmail, that are detecting the flood and blocking it.

Bad luck for the people depending on the mail, but good luck for the rest of us.

MattCook

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 pm

MattCook said:

Win for the federation !

Foundation !!! First post here too - hey ho. At least I don't need to wait until 6:00 to feel like a total a******e ! Matt

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:12 pm

AlArenal said:

They"re gonna announce that they move their website from Wordpress to Drupal to be more manageable, gain performance, scalability, features and user-experience.

Surely Drupel would be more appropriate?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Dremel would be a move up at the moment

HansH

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 pm

liz said:

Have you guys checked your spam folders?

Yep, all 127.314 spam emails... not in there

But it doesn't matter, everybody knows it already.

They will be all gone within minutes..... I just hope to get one....

I have 4 empty cases waiting for a Pi...

hippy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 pm

nmcc said:

Not to worry, those that have been active here in recent weeks will know, those that signed up and didn't hang about to get up to speed will have a lesson learnt.
The "announcement" wasn't announced until 19:42 yesterday, according to its time stamp, so anyone who hasn't been active in the last day or so may well not know, and why should they be active when repeatedly told to stop hitting F5 and everyone signed-up would receive an email alert with plenty of warning of when sales would start ?

As to what lessons will be learned I won't even speculate on.

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Wouldn"t it be better to wait and find out whether anyone actually did miss the e-mail, Twitter, blog and forum announcements (not to mention links from tech news sites), rather than argue among those who clearly didn"t about what might be?

AlArenal

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Apple just entered the foundation.

They're gonna host the website in their data centers, create a PiStore and btw, it's gonna be renamed to Apple Pi.

Yummie!

itnufc

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Hotukdeals has a write up on the pi, this is one of the comments posted.

"I would buy one if curry's or Argos where selling them but they are not so I would not want to take the risk"

made me laugh.

there is now another couple of thousand trying to buy tomorrow.

grumpyoldgit

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:11 pm

rurwin said:

Checking my email, I have two confirmed subscriptions, one with +raspberrypi and one without. Still no announcement to either.

Is anyone else on googlemail.com?

I'm Gmail and have also not received anything. I have also checked my spam folder.

Chromatix

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Likewise - nothing, spam folder or otherwise.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

tonycollinet

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:50 pm

No email here, and I don't have a spam folder (I don't get spam)

deepthought

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Surely that should be the Pi Shop, not Pi Store, as in Mrs Miggins' Pie Shop?

tritonium

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:58 pm

I wonder

How long ago did you people register?

perhaps they are mailing in sign up order - not alphabetical..

what other kind of order could there be?

johnbeetem

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

hippy said:

... and why should they be active when repeatedly told to stop hitting F5 and everyone signed-up would receive an email alert with plenty of warning of when sales would start ?
As to what lessons will be learned I won't even speculate on.

Lesson #1: E-mail is "best effort" communications and not guaranteed communications.

Lesson #2: Do not communicate events over a "best effort" link, as the event may be lost.  Communicate status instead, and do so periodically in case an intermediate message is lost.

Lesson #3: E-mail is unpredictable because there are automated filters.  My favorite such event is when I had a cat with dental problems and sent e-mail to my sweetie that the doctor didn't want to pull the cat's last canine because then her tongue would hang out all the time.  My e-mail's smut filter objected to the phrase "her tongue".

timn

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 pm

I still can"t decide whether this is supposed to the thing going on sale or yet another delaying tactic. There"s no mention of "sale", simply that there will be an announcement. It had better go on sale soon "cos if it clashes with the ipad3 launch then my money is on Apple getting the attention of the press.

TheEponymousBob

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 am

timn said:
I still can"t decide whether this is supposed to the thing going on sale or yet another delaying tactic. There"s no mention of "sale", simply that there will be an announcement. It had better go on sale soon "cos if it clashes with the ipad3 launch then my money is on Apple getting the attention of the press.

Ask yourself: if the announcement tomorrow is another delay, would you "feel like an a*****e" (or words to that effect: see the post earlier in the thread) if you weren"t up for it? Liz has made it quite clear, I think, that whatever is happening at 6am GMT is something you"ll want to be there at 6am GMT for. I don"t see how anything relating to a future sale date would be so time-critical.

But that"s just my interpretation.

TheShack

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 am

OK.

Alarm Set: CHECK.

Credit Card Ready: CHECK

Laptop Charged: CHECK

So all ready to go.... Time for some sleep. Good luck to all.

Anyone notice that Liz is still online... One last thought... If the whole site is turning into a static page how do we order?

riggsre

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 am

It's 5:30 here in Las Vegas. 4 and a half to go...

rwgast

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:38 am

4.5 hours to go. Rounded up a DVI-Monitor, Powered Micro USB Hub, USB Powered Speakers, USB-Floppy, USB-DVDR, Bluetooth KB, Bluetooth Adapter, 8GB Ultra Class6 Sandisk SD.. Only thing left is a Bluetooth Mouse. Lets hope i didn't obtain all this gear for nothing and that 2 day mail to the US is crazy expensive (crossing fingers for 30 bucks)

A bit off topic but I had an interesting Idea. I have never used a USB hub that was powered this thing has diffrent cable for the.. i guess master port is what you could call it. Now can i plug that into the pi then plug a micro usb cable into the hub itself to power the board? Im trying to keep everything as compact as possible, even looking at a USB powered screen for down the line, id like a portable PI with only one cord, Im assuming i could power the HUB with a USB based battery pack 5volt 800mah like what they have at wal mart.

generalenthu

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:44 am

Think I am setup alright. Hoping to snag one from the first batch..

Open raspberrypi.org ?

Open raspberrypi.com and login ?

Open ebay.com and login ?

Open amazon.com and login ?

Open amazon.co.uk and login ? (Did search here for raspberry and the amazon suggestions prove folks have been looking here!! try it yourself)

Credit card handy ?

Secret weapon deployed ? (Its a war!! No, its not an auto refresh script)

And my money is on the stock to run out in 3 minutes if all 10K are on sale and the server is up to snuff. Hope they are using a solid / scalable platform. Good luck everyone!!

7+8<>13

SN

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:50 am

tick tock – 4 hours 7 mins to go….
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

msloan

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 am

Quote from the shop:

Down for Maintenance

This store is currently unavailable. Please visit our main website at http://www.raspberrypi.org.

The shop is getting ready, I think.

johnbeetem

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 am

rwgast said:

A bit off topic but I had an interesting Idea. I have never used a USB hub that was powered this thing has diffrent cable for the... I guess master port is what you could call it.  [I think the official name is "upstream port".]  Now can I plug that into the pi then plug a micro usb cable into the hub itself [i.e., one of the downstream ports] to power the board? I'm trying to keep everything as compact as possible, even looking at a USB powered screen for down the line, I'd like a portable PI with only one cord, I'm assuming I could power the HUB with a USB based battery pack 5volt 800mah like what they have at walmart. 
The answer is an enthusiastic "maybe".  Here's a link from the RasPi Wiki: http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....cted-to-pi

johnbeetem

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:08 am

TheShack said:

One last thought... If the whole site is turning into a static page how do we order? 
I would think that even though it's a static page, the page has links to the relevant pages for acting on the news of interest.

Return to “General discussion”