mole125

Re: There's a time and a date on the front page...

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:39 pm

I've not had any of mine (work/home addresses) either. In the bright side that should decrease demand to only the real addicts who keep checking the site!

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 pm

1ne2woBe said:

Hmm. I never received an email, and have only 12 minutes left. Oh well. Next time. LOL

I think you may also have your times mixed, unless I'm missing the significance of your 12 minutes left - 0600 GMT isn't for another ~17 hours.

c00k1e

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Just checked my email to find I had never confirmed my addition to the RPI email list. lol

Well day off booked for tomorrow & Debit card sat next to PC just incase...

TheShack

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I've not heard anyone mention they have received an email.

Got mine last night....

welshpanther

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

My wife gets up for work at 5:45am so ...

she'll nudge or thump me awake.

Roll over, grab iPad.

refresh until order page.

enter details and credit card.

press 'Order'

collapse asleep again.

Or of course it'll be 6:01 crying because they've all run out before my order was complete.

I can hope, but my world won't end if I don't get one. I'll just wait until batch 2 or 3 etc.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:50 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I've not heard anyone mention they have received an email. Liz said that it basically repeats what has been said on the front page.

Thats right, got my email last night too.

Its going to be tough tomorrow morning, some complete and utter idiot has posted details on a site called "slickdeals", hawking it as a cheap XBMC media player "makes a really good htpc, local content player, streamer or whatever you wanna call it".  The heads-up is in the comments for the warning blog.

Its bad enough when slashdot gets hold of things, but this is just malicious.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

adlambert

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:13 pm

welshpanther said:

My wife gets up for work at 5:45am so ...

she'll nudge or thump me awake.

Roll over, grab iPad.

refresh until order page.

enter details and credit card.

press 'Order'

collapse asleep again.

Or of course it'll be 6:01 crying because they've all run out before my order was complete.

I can hope, but my world won't end if I don't get one. I'll just wait until batch 2 or 3 etc.

Or you'll be kicking yourself because the order screen isn't compatible with Mobile Safari on IOS!!

ArborealSeer

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:14 pm

holy sh*t.. bad enough..

i looked it up out of curiosity.. and found there are 6 pages of replies to the post too..

http://slickdeals.net/f/400091.....ruary-2012

slowly thinking i'm gonna try my luck when i get up for work.. if i don't wait for the next batch or so when things have matured a bit software /support wise, and calmed down order wise!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

zag

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Meh that sickdeals thread _only_ has 10k views

Its the slashdotting you want to be worried about. Even static web pages have problems with that kind of influx.

Its actually a myth that web servers can handle thousands of hits at once, they cant.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

nick.mccloud

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm

ArborealSeer said:

i looked it up out of curiosity.. and found there are 6 pages of replies to the post too..

http://slickdeals.net/f/400091.....ruary-2012

Judging by some of the comments they posted I doubt they get up before 1pm each day

adlambert

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:58 pm

zag said:

Meh that sickdeals thread _only_ has 10k views

Its the slashdotting you want to be worried about. Even static web pages have problems with that kind of influx.

Its actually a myth that web servers can handle thousands of hits at once, they cant.

I'm quite amused by the amount of people that are saying that they want one because other people want one, but openly admit they don't know what a R-Pi is! Unfortunately I suspect that many of these will attempt to return the Pi expecting to be compensated for international shipping costs. I hope the foundation have got that one sorted so they can't. Then the next place for them will be Ebay.com.

alexandru.cucu

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Nobody said the Raspberry Pi Foundation will actually start selling the boards at 06:00 GMT on the 29th of February.

The only thing we know is that they will announce something important. This could be that they start selling the board or something else like: "We have made 1 million boards in the first batch just because you have requested so many of them."

Why is everybody jumping to conclusions?
https://launchpad.net/~alexandru.cucu

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Some might consider that an announcement such as a future sale date or change of batch size wouldn"t really need one to be at the site at a particular time. Reading between the lines it seems pretty clear that those not here at the given time may kick themselves later. Draw conclusions as you will.

SirGallivant

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Cracknel said:

Why is everybody jumping to conclusions?

Well, it could be something to do with what Liz said:

Liz said:

"I'm not allowed to say what the announcement is for arcane contractual reasons (it's actually quite interesting – I'll explain when I can). But I *am* allowed to say that you will feel like a total a******e if you don't get out of bed in time."

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:02 pm

liz said:
I"m not allowed to say what the announcement is for arcane contractual reasons (it"s actually quite interesting – I"ll explain when I can). But I *am* allowed to say that you will feel like a total a******e if you don"t get out of bed in time.

TheEponymousBob said:
Reading between the lines it seems pretty clear that those not here at the given time may kick themselves later.

... where for "reading between the lines" read "reading the lines". Or something like that.

Phil Spiegel

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Perhaps the announcement is that Ebay have agreed NOT to allow them to be re-sold on their website?

(or has that been agreed before?)

welshblob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Its on hotukdeals now as well. I hope the shop will be able to handle that much traffic. Wonder if ebay would have been a better place to sell the first batch as that should have been able to handle the load?

mehrotra.akash

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:55 pm

Wait for the influx of buyers on the forum complaining that it came without the power supply/something else

(put up a tiny little code challenge as a captcha, fizzbuzz,etc. That would be fun)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Phil Spiegel said:

Perhaps the announcement is that Ebay have agreed NOT to allow them to be re-sold on their website?

I'm in two minds about that. Yes it will be galling to see them fetch $100 or more, but there has to be a way for all the idiots that thought it ran Windows to resell them.

mehrotra.akash

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 pm

rurwin said:

Phil Spiegel said:

I'm in two minds about that. Yes it will be galling to see them fetch $100 or more, but there has to be a way for all the idiots that thought it ran Windows to resell them.

Let them return the R-Pi's for no refund, but give a receipt for donations to a charity

KeithsDroid

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Not got my email yet? Just checked, and also double checked I'd registered correctly, then reset my password...eventually. Is the site going ssllooww? Perhaps someone mentioned it's Christmas again tomorrow? I wonder who, me or my son, will get one first?

Can't wait, won't wait!

prodata

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Tass said:

No email here either, but hey - as long as there isn't a super-secret link to follow to buy tomorrow AM, I'm not bothered

For the record, no email here either (as of 18:10). Think I must be on the mailing list - certainly the list manager recognises my email address and won't let me register further (or is there possibly a glitch in the manager that eg won't even allow potentially unconfirmed addresses to register again).

Likewise, it doesn't bother me much provided I'm not disadvantaged. But for future reference it would be handy to know whether I am actually registered on this mailing list (or not).

Dinosaur

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Ditto

No email either.

Checked the view link in the acknowledgement email and all looks good.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Have you guys checked your spam folders?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Tass

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 pm

I"m not too bothered as I"m all geared up, but there could be some pissed off people tomorrow!!

But hey - this probably increases my chances from 1 in 8 to 1 in 5!

Return to “General discussion”