rwgast

Re: Mobile site updated to look prettier and work better

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:57 am

Im sorry if i have come off as an a*s in this thread at all not my intention, especially the tablet thing I was just trying to explain why he wouldn't be having the same problem as the people viewing the forums on there phones.

As far as the site goes i like the new mobile layout i think it looks a lot better and is more usable at least on an android phone. As far as the forums go via mobile viewing I think if you were to make a mobile version of the forum (it seems to me the forums are just the desktop version no mobile stuff right?) where there was no avatar and the username and blue bar were placed above the post/reply horizontally it would make digesting the content of the forum on a smaller mobile device i.e. phone not tablet, a lot easier.

There is also another problem i have with the forums when posting from my phone. Im not sure if i know how to articulate it very well though, so you guys lemme know if you understand what im saying and if you also have this problem. On Android phones at least when you write a post and you get to the bottom of the text box it stops scrolling. I mean when your on the very last line of the input box when you hit enter you can keep typing but you cant see what you are typing because the text box wont scroll down. Now i know nothing of wordpress or web design beyond HTML (I use blogger for my projects lol) Im pretty sure the input box problem is a problem with the site and not Androids browser I have never had this happen on any other forums. The easy solution to all these problems is for you guys "The Foundation" to use taptalk i think is what its called. Maybe check out the free XDA developers forum app. Im pretty sure you dont have to create your own app like XDA, alot of forums i visit on my phone have taptalk support. Taptalk does cost but for those of us that are picking up on any of these mobile usablity issues, im sure we post here and the 100's of other taptalk supported forums to justify the 2 dollars or whatever the app costs.

spamel

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 am

Works fine on my Galaxy Tab, but I cannot get the mobile version on my Blackberry to work so standard view only. I hardly ever use my BB forbforums though, so not really an issue.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:21 pm

The dropdown menu approach took me by surprise, I was a bit disconcerted by the column of links for the home page blog entries and it took me a couple of minutes to spot the arrow to drop the menu to locate the forums, etc!  However, I can see the reasoning behind it and it would probably look good on a small screen device.

btw, I didn't have any problems browsing the site on my Kindle 3, though I don't think I'd have the patience to post anything..... 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

R4V3N0U5

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to run the mobile version of the site on a regular browser (hint, the pi itself?) I will be running the pi on a 480i TV via composite so I imagine it may look better at that resolution.

JeremyF

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 pm

R4V3N0U5 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to run the mobile version of the site on a regular browser (hint, the pi itself?) I will be running the pi on a 480i TV via composite so I imagine it may look better at that resolution.

User agent switcher addon for your browser.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

timhoffman

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:08 pm

I have never bothered to go past the front page.  On the Nokia N9 the page always only takes up about half the screen width in either landscape or portrait.  It seems the styles are constraining the width.  This is the only site I have seen so far that causes this behaviour.

timn

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Much better. Many thanks.

Return to “General discussion”