carled

Red power light dim, pulsing slightly. Model A

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi all, just bought a Model A to go with my model B. To test the device I unplugged my existing Model B and used the SD Card, HDMI and power cable to plug in to my new Model A... Nothing. No boot up, just a dim (it's on, just much less bright than on my Model B) red light that pulses slightly for a while, gets dimmer then goes out altogether after 10 seconds or so.

Is this a dead Pi or is there something I'm likely to be doing wrong? The Model B starts up perfectly when I plug everything back in there.

jeepxj

Re: Red power light dim, pulsing slightly. Model A

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 pm

I would have a sd card only for the model A. It might have something to do with what it is missing compared to the model B.

pluggy

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:08 pm

I did the same thing and it worked fine.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

rpdom

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 pm

The flashing red LED is worrying. It should be steady. It sounds like a power issue somewhere.

Please inspect the ciruit board carefully for any bad solder joints or splashes of solder. It sounds like your Pi is drawing too much current and your power supply is partly shutting down. Having said that, the main polyfuse should "blow" if that were the case and the red LED would go out.

The "A" draws a lot less current than the "B", so we can pretty much rule out a faulty power supply or cable.

It is very unlikely to be a problem with the SD card setup. Cards that work on a "B" should work on an "A" too, but even if they didn't it wouldn't cause the red LED to "pulse".

It does sound like a faulty Pi :(

carled

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 am

Amazing. It's come back to life. Just tried exactly the same procedure before returning it and this time it started up just fine!

Return to “General discussion”