User avatar
kbailey
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Largo Florida USA
Contact: ICQ Website

streural issues

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 am

WANT LIST:
ON/OFF SWITCH.
reset BUTTON.
Light a fire on the puppy team; I have lucid puppy in an 800 mhz atom powered Acer AspireOne and it is faster than the Raspberry puppy, and that's remarkable as this has just as fast a clock, and ELECTRONIC disk access speeds, not mechanical as does the Acer. Raspian Wheezy is not near as user friendly as my lucid puppy- if you get Raspberry Puppy up to it's sibling's quality, you will conquer the universe.

CASE: Bud can do better than that. Pretty colors. Crummy design. It's a beginning, but it won't sell raspberries. Take a peek at an old IBM pc; that case sold computers, even before they saw the 3 letters.

And when you stick him (Paul?) in that big cardboard box, give him a Raspberry to play with.
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

User avatar
tonyhughes
Posts: 951
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am

Re: streural issues

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:37 am

ON/OFF SWITCH.
reset BUTTON.


These are easily added in for those who want them. Vast majority don't need them, and if you read about the Foundations intentions, you will see the device is built to a price.

Light a fire on the puppy team;

Raspbian is the official supported OS. If you want to see open source software advance on a platform, why not contribute to it (money, development etc). "Light a fire on the puppy team"? I bet they are working hard on their RPi offering, and statements like that will only cause resentment, not re-doubling of efforts.

I have lucid puppy in an 800 mhz atom powered Acer AspireOne and it is faster than the Raspberry puppy, and that's remarkable as this has just as fast a clock, and ELECTRONIC disk access speeds, not mechanical as does the Acer.

Cool. How much does an Acer Aspire One cost new?

you will conquer the universe.

Not one of the foundations aims (not that they have stated anyway).

CASE: Bud can do better than that. Pretty colors. Crummy design. It's a beginning, but it won't sell raspberries. Take a peek at an old IBM pc; that case sold computers, even before they saw the 3 letters.

The Foundation doesn't manufacture or sell cases that I am aware of. There are LOTS of third party options, many of which are recognised as fantastic designs.

User avatar
Jessie
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: C/S CO USA

Re: streural issues

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:04 am

Over a year agao I asked the foundation for a hot sandwich and a nakked women to come with a new Pi. Neither have been delivered yet.

User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5201
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: streural issues

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:12 am

For heaven's sake, Jessie! I *told* you that the melting cheese would not work well with bare flesh, but did you listen? Bah.

OP: can I please have some of what you're smoking?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

randrade
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:42 pm
Contact: Website

Re: streural issues

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 pm

liz wrote:OP: can I please have some of what you're smoking?
That's quite an inadequate way of answering a customer, even if he is making unrealistic requests. Still, there are some requests which aren't at all unrealistic, such as an on/off switch.

SteveGP14
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK

Re: streural issues

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Why do people take themselves so seriously? Lighten up and laugh if humour is intended!!

Liz, if you get some from the OP, please pass it round :lol:

User avatar
kbailey
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Largo Florida USA
Contact: ICQ Website

Re: streural issues

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 pm

OK, so you think I'm a jerk. Nice welcome you go there; have you considered a career in sales? Remind me not to invite you to my Bar Mitzvah.

:idea: OK, so sell an in line switch as an option. If I have the cash I can add it to the shopping cart. As is, unplugging to shut down to swap sd cards to redo when an experimental change bricks it is not all that much fun when you know you are building up socket fatigue. :cry:

ok, so instead of being unhelpful, if you know these exist, at least mention the vendor's proper name so I can go find them myself if you cannot or will not offer a link. If not THE answer, at least a big old clue would be swell.

BTW, a link to a free archive extractor for files compressed in less than common formats would be a nice touch for the website. :idea:

As for donating to the team to support the development, groovy idea; where the hell is the donate button on the website? Maybe THAT is why you're not getting as much cash in the door as you could? HINT: Put a donate button on the site for each sub-project, maybe one for the big org itself. PAYPAL includes the function to build donate buttons. Want my help donated to get this together for you? :idea: :idea: :idea:

-Kirk the abrasive Barstarrd. :evil:
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

User avatar
kbailey
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Largo Florida USA
Contact: ICQ Website

Re: streural issues

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Jessee, as for the sandwich and a lady both raw, which one is the one to deliver hot?
A) A Ruben on kosher rye and a dill spear
B) Wicked Wanda, somewhat less kosher with a dilly of a whip
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

User avatar
campi
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:45 am
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: streural issues

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:07 pm

@kbailey ....... of course, you were never taught to use the word please. I can't see it anywhere in your purile diatribe.

campi

User avatar
tonyhughes
Posts: 951
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am

Re: streural issues

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:40 pm

kbailey wrote:OK, so you think I'm a jerk. Nice welcome you go there; have you considered a career in sales? Remind me not to invite you to my Bar Mitzvah.
No one called you a jerk except you. I saw a lighthearted comment about sharing what you're smoking. Roll with it.
kbailey wrote:OK, so sell an in line switch as an option. If I have the cash I can add it to the shopping cart.
RPF is not selling the Pi. Farnell/RS do. RPFs goal isn't to sell accessories, it has clear stated goals, that don't include building the add-ons that people want.
kbailey wrote: As is, unplugging to shut down to swap sd cards to redo when an experimental change bricks it is not all that much fun when you know you are building up socket fatigue. :cry
Some real options for you, right now, that don't involve the Raspberry Pi Foundation building and selling you something (because they don't build anything for sale, and they don't sell anything)...

1. Build your own on off switch (search the forums, it's been done and howtos posted around).
2. Buy an on off switch (search the forums, it's been done, and the guy is taking orders).
3. Unplug the OTHER end of the cable (the bigger end is less likely to suffer socket fatigue.
4. Switch the power supply itself off then on.
kbailey wrote:ok, so instead of being unhelpful
You recieved a constructive reply to your first post, is the 'unhelpful' jab at all of us, or are you ignoring the help you are getting, in favour of moaning about the help you percieve you are not getting?
kbailey wrote: if you know these exist, at least mention the vendor's proper name so I can go find them myself if you cannot or will not offer a link.
Thats the most arrogant and combative request for help I have ever seen. I'm considering deleting the help I have written in this post so far...
kbailey wrote:If not THE answer, at least a big old clue would be swell.
Search is your friend. I wanted an off switch (not an "on+off switch"), so I searched the forum, and found a parts list, and code, and built it myself for about $1.73 in parts. Searching took about 5 minutes, buying took about 10 minutes including driving, coding took 2 minutes, and building it took about 5 minutes.

Total people bitched at: 0.
Total off switches built: 1.
kbailey wrote:BTW, a link to a free archive extractor for files compressed in less than common formats would be a nice touch for the website. :idea:
The RPF site seems to just list major OSes. To start recommending packages might be a bad idea, considering if you posted in the forum for the OS that you use:

"Suggest free archive extractor for files compressed in uncommon formats" as the title, with some please/thankyou and a list of what you have tried, and where you are going wrong, that you would probably get a truckload of free help.

There are tens of thousands of packages/applications for each OS, so I can see why RPF probably doesn't want to start listing them.
kbailey wrote:As for donating to the team to support the development, groovy idea; where the hell is the donate button on the website? Maybe THAT is why you're not getting as much cash in the door as you could? HINT: Put a donate button on the site for each sub-project, maybe one for the big org itself. PAYPAL includes the function to build donate buttons. Want my help donated to get this together for you? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Have you read the FAQ at all? It is well written and answers a bunch of your questions, including how to donate. In fact, how to donate to them is very clear and very simple.

Why are you typing like a pissy teenager? Maybe THAT is why you seem to be having a hard time of things.

Talk to people nicely, and engage in intelligent discussion. Don't demand this that and the other thing, and don't tell a charitable foundation how to run itself and to do things that aren't it's stated goals when you don't even bother to read the big FAQ page with all that information on it.

ghans
Posts: 7871
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: streural issues

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm

The foundation does not sell the Pi or distribute it.
AFAIK this is at least true for model B.
Contact resellers and the distributors for add-ons.

I do not understand your comment on compression programs.
As far as i can see , the downloads are .zip
files , which are very common and well supported , even by
recent Microsoft Operating Systems. You should not do anything
with the included .img files (except to write them to a SD Card) ,
and they're pretty useless for PCs anyway. I believe Linux can
mount them , and if you're geeky , you could do something with
QEMU. But that has nothing to do with compression.

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

User avatar
tonyhughes
Posts: 951
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am

Re: streural issues

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Oh, and what the HELL does "streural issues" mean? I just cannot figure it out.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%22st ... 80&bih=639

I googled the term, and found 32 results, that all point to this thread.

A major source of posts on forums receiving little to no help is a title that is not meaningful...

User avatar
tonyhughes
Posts: 951
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am

Re: streural issues

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Oh and I see no one mentioned the reset button request.

Latest model boards have the facility for a reset button. You can build one with a 50 cent button, two peices of wire, and 4 solder joints. No software required.

I was interested in building a reset button. So I searched the forums and found that info. Haven't built one yet, but at least I know I can.

You don't even need a button or solder to do it, so it can be done for free.

gyeben
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: Hungary, Eger

Re: streural issues

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 am

kbailey wrote:I have lucid puppy in an 800 mhz atom powered Acer AspireOne and it is faster than the Raspberry puppy
Maybe the content of my post will upset you, but I can quite so remember that Intel Atom CPUs are x86 CPUs, and not ARM ones. And a 800Mhz x86 CPU is (usually) way faster than a 800Mhz ARM CPU.

Cloudcentric
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 am

Re: streural issues

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:49 am

gyeben wrote:
kbailey wrote:I have lucid puppy in an 800 mhz atom powered Acer AspireOne and it is faster than the Raspberry puppy
Maybe the content of my post will upset you, but I can quite so remember that Intel Atom CPUs are x86 CPUs, and not ARM ones. And a 800Mhz x86 CPU is (usually) way faster than a 800Mhz ARM CPU.

There is no such beast as an 800MHZ ATOM, they underclock themselves to save power, like all netbooks and laptops, so it is not a fair comparision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... processors

A better comparision is a AMD K6-500MHZ with 64MB Memory and on-board sound and SiS graphics and chipset, running Windows 2000 fully updated
I know everything about nothing"

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10415
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: streural issues

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:03 am

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=32435 Power Switch
http://raspi.tv/tag/reset-button-raspberry-pi reset switch <- the reset headers have been available since revision 2 boards
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

User avatar
kbailey
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Largo Florida USA
Contact: ICQ Website

Re: streural issues

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:24 am

You are SO correct, I TOTALLY forgot to use that fine social lubricant, the word PLEASE, and for this carelessness I apologize. Reviewing my prior posts, there are points that ought to have been written with more planning and thought, that the annoyance came out as potentially helpful feedback, which was the underlying intent- tainted with a technician's internal grousing. I should install grump filters and a little couth, if I can only find the jug I hid the stuff in. Alas, by the end of the day in the customer service area I have swallowed a belly-full of sulfur dioxide, and it has a tendency to come back out in assorted ways.

And as far as the switch is concerned, I am going to Home Depot to purchase an in line switch and slice a power cable and add one myself Thursday, my day off.

Now here's a Q: What does each LED on the pi signify?
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

User avatar
kbailey
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Largo Florida USA
Contact: ICQ Website

Re: streural issues

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:25 am

gyeben wrote:
kbailey wrote:I have lucid puppy in an 800 mhz atom powered Acer AspireOne and it is faster than the Raspberry puppy
Maybe the content of my post will upset you, but I can quite so remember that Intel Atom CPUs are x86 CPUs, and not ARM ones. And a 800Mhz x86 CPU is (usually) way faster than a 800Mhz ARM CPU.
Not upset in the least. :)
OK, why is the atom at 800 faster than the ARM at 800? :?:
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

User avatar
kbailey
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Largo Florida USA
Contact: ICQ Website

Re: streural issues

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:57 am

tonyhughes wrote:
kbailey wrote:OK, so you think I'm a jerk. Nice welcome you go there; have you considered a career in sales? Remind me not to invite you to my Bar Mitzvah.
No one called you a jerk except you. I saw a lighthearted comment about sharing what you're smoking. Roll with it.
Frop, clear quill, 9 gram load, through a waterpipe with 50% ice water/50% cream de minthe. Care for a toke?
kbailey wrote:OK, so sell an in line switch as an option. If I have the cash I can add it to the shopping cart.
tonyhughes wrote:RPF is not selling the Pi. Farnell/RS do. RPFs goal isn't to sell accessories, it has clear stated goals, that don't include building the add-ons that people want.
kbailey wrote: As is, unplugging to shut down to swap sd cards to redo when an experimental change bricks it is not all that much fun when you know you are building up socket fatigue. :cry
tonyhughes wrote:Some real options for you, right now, that don't involve the Raspberry Pi Foundation building and selling you something (because they don't build anything for sale, and they don't sell anything)...

1. Build your own on off switch (search the forums, it's been done and howtos posted around).
I am going out to gain the parts to do exactly this Thursday.
tonyhughes wrote:2. Buy an on off switch (search the forums, it's been done, and the guy is taking orders).
3. Unplug the OTHER end of the cable (the bigger end is less likely to suffer socket fatigue.
Good point. A switched powerbar is another solution, and many offer surge supression in them as well.
tonyhughes wrote: 4. Switch the power supply itself off then on.
??? Switch the wall wart? Or dol you mean the outlet?
kbailey wrote:ok, so instead of being unhelpful
You received a constructive reply to your first post, is the 'unhelpful' jab at all of us, or are you ignoring the help you are getting, in favor of moaning about the help you perceive you are not getting?
kbailey wrote: if you know these exist, at least mention the vendor's proper name so I can go find them myself if you cannot or will not offer a link.
That is the most arrogant and combative request for help I have ever seen.
I have been called both, but really sir, never before was I titled the MOST, are you certain?
tonyhughes wrote:I'm considering deleting the help I have written in this post so far...
kbailey wrote:If not THE answer, at least a big old clue would be swell.
quote="tonyhughes"]Search is your friend. I wanted an off switch (not an "on+off switch"), so I searched the forum, and found a parts list, and code, and built it myself for about $1.73 in parts. Searching took about 5 minutes, buying took about 10 minutes including driving, coding took 2 minutes, and building it took about 5 minutes.

Total people bitched at: 0.
Total off switches built: 1.
So far, your game is ahead by one point, a narrow lead but a lead nonetheless. It's worth emulating and improving upon.
kbailey wrote:BTW, a link to a free archive extractor for files compressed in less than common formats would be a nice touch for the website. :idea:
The RPF site seems to just list major OSes. To start recommending packages might be a bad idea, considering if you posted in the forum for the OS that you use:
"Suggest free archive extractor for files compressed in uncommon formats" as the title, with some please/thankyou and a list of what you have tried, and where you are going wrong, that you would probably get a truckload of free help.
Actually correct. I was having a bad day, my apologies, I totally forgot my social graces.
There are tens of thousands of packages/applications for each OS, so I can see why RPF probably doesn't want to start listing them.
Fair enough.
kbailey wrote:As for donating to the team to support the development, groovy idea; where the hell is the donate button on the website? Maybe THAT is why you're not getting as much cash in the door as you could? HINT: Put a donate button on the site for each sub-project, maybe one for the big org itself. PAYPAL includes the function to build donate buttons. Want my help donated to get this together for you? :idea: :idea: :idea:
tinyhughes" wrote:Have you read the FAQ at all? It is well written and answers a bunch of your questions, including how to donate. In fact, how to donate to them is very clear and very simple.

Why are you typing like a pissy teenager? Maybe THAT is why you seem to be having a hard time of things.
1. Diabetic neuropathy means numb hands, resulting in crummy typing, and I was tired.
2. I was in a bad mood. How's yours doing these days?
tonyhughes wrote:Talk to people nicely, and engage in intelligent discussion. Don't demand this that and the other thing, and don't tell a charitable foundation how to run itself and to do things that aren't it's stated goals when you don't even bother to read the big FAQ page with all that information on it.
As for the FAQ: I went back and re-read it. Nothing there says HOW to support the foundation, other than go purchase one, which I did already. Are we reading the same page? Again, I propose you put a DONATE button on the foundations website so we CAN give you gifts of money. This is not childish, nor is it stupid. So if I were of a mind to drop a C note in the RPF, how would I do it and insure it got to the actual foundation? :?:
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

User avatar
Jessie
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: C/S CO USA

Re: streural issues

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:16 am

These are all valid requests they have just been hammered to death around here. I'm locking this thread for two reasons one its not being productive. Two it's not cival.

Return to “General discussion”