reuben101

Re: Gaming

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 am

Would a Rasppi run TF2???????..........

tr3

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:24 am

if we think about the "raw" power of the gpu: "maybe"

if we think about the fact that there are no ports of TF2 for ARM6 and Valve is surely not porting it: NO

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 am

The Raspberry Pi WILL NOT run:

Any PC game

Any Playstation game

Any XBox game

Any Wii game

A very few PC games do run, but it"s a handful of older ones. Quake3, Doom, sort-of-thing. Then a few DOS-based games can be made to work. UFO for example. But even those don't work out of the box, they require a fair amount of knowledge to set-up, and they are very much the exception to the rule.

The rule is: Even if it says Linux on the game"s box, it still wont work.

Tass

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:27 am

rurwin said:

A very few PC games do run, but it"s a handful of older ones. Quake3, Doom, sort-of-thing.

Hey - Quake3's nothing to sniff at   Ah... flashbacks to my student days playing capture the flag

ahnlak

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:37 am

Pygame should run happily of course, so if you want to play something the obvious solution will be to write it

jackbrennan

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:41 am

Although i won"t be using the PI for gaming, I have Doom and Doom 2 installed on my laptop – Nothing beat some good old FPS action

geeus

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

I think the thing to consider is that once the raspi is established there will be more than enough enjoyable games, and game clones to keep even the most harded gamer going for a while. also games that will take full advantage of the monster gpu. that is what I'm looking forward too.

Regards Gee
Gee The Rabid Inventor :)

augusto.beiro

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Mmm.

Open Source game are the best candidates to run on R-Pi, cause they can be ported. (theorycally). There will be some issues with video driver compatability and run mode (X, framebuffer, opengl-es), but i think people will furnish  a r-pi game station image sooner or later.

BTW. Dowlload debian r-pi image, setup your qemu and install prboom. At least you can play doom in console mode

reuben101

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:21 pm

So could someone upload a copy of Quake 3 for the Rasppi and give me a link because I would be highly appreciative.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm

We may well be making that download available, but it'll probably be after launch some time.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

reuben101

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:39 pm

How long after the launch,where would it be available from and would you have to pay for it.

Thanks

mole125

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:52 pm

reuben101 said:

How long after the launch,where would it be available from and would you have to pay for it.

Thanks

I'm not in the foundation but I'd guess:

However long it takes, the foundation page or somewhere else pointed at from the foundation page or forums, no it is open source so you won't have to pay.

Narishma

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:13 pm

mole125 said:

reuben101 said:

Thanks

I'm not in the foundation but I'd guess:

However long it takes, the foundation page or somewhere else pointed at from the foundation page or forums, no it is open source so you won't have to pay.

Only the engine is open source, not the game data. You'll have to get that from a commercial copy of the game or use substitute data from projects like OpenArena.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Actually I put Quake3 up last week.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3

Should be buildable with libs from the debian rootfs.

There's also a suitable toolchain in:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools

(although any arm one should do).

You need the pk3 files and CD key from a real Quake 3 CD.

In theory this should work with openarena pk3 files, but it will need a merge with a newer version of the quake3 tree.

As it is, the pk3 files are rejected, and the code that loads them has been modified since we branched.

If anyone fancies trying the merge, feel free.

JJD

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Anyone remember Introversion's Linux versions of Defcon, Uplink, and Darwinia from a few years back? Although not 'the feel good game of the year', Defcon was a fun one for me. I kept flashbacking to when I saw Wargames in a theater so long ago...

matthewtb

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 pm

You will definetley be able to play awesome games on a emulator.

I found that mupen 64 will work so yeah ZELDA

ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA!!!!

augusto.beiro

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Wow! fully ported to gles?

dom said:

Actually I put Quake3 up last week.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3

Should be buildable with libs from the debian rootfs.

There's also a suitable toolchain in:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools

(although any arm one should do).

You need the pk3 files and CD key from a real Quake 3 CD.

In theory this should work with openarena pk3 files, but it will need a merge with a newer version of the quake3 tree.

As it is, the pk3 files are rejected, and the code that loads them has been modified since we branched.

If anyone fancies trying the merge, feel free.

dom

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

augusto.beiro said:

Wow! fully ported to gles?

Yep. Runs very well.

reiji

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 am

Not necessarily true. I think the Pi might have enough raw power to run a PS1 emulator, if there was one ported for ARM.

rurwin said:

The Raspberry Pi WILL NOT run:

Any Playstation game

fireraisr

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 am

Yep, the ps1 has pretty low specs and you can emulate it on quite a low spec machine. I'm more interested in older systems.

Also, we should perchance keep the number of tm "emulator" topics low on the official site. I'd hate for the foundation to get flak for "supporting" emulation.

Jessie

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:34 am

fireraisr said:

Yep, the ps1 has pretty low specs and you can emulate it on quite a low spec machine. I'm more interested in older systems.

Also, we should perchance keep the number of tm "emulator" topics low on the official site. I'd hate for the foundation to get flak for "supporting" emulation.

I doubt we will see PS1 emulation.

There is nothing wrong with emulation.  It is the theives that play ROMs they do not own that is the issue.  I don't feel like getting my SNES out of the garrage to play Zelda or FF games and why should I when I can fire up an emulator on the PC.  If someone ever got PS1 emulation working there is absolutly no reason why the games couldn't be played directly off the disc.  I'm no foundation member but I think it is perfectly fine for them to support emulation projects as long as they do not support game theft.  That will be their call to make in the end, but IMO there will be many R-Pis with the sole reason to emulate classics.

jojopi

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 am

Jessie said:

I'm no foundation member but I think it is perfectly fine for them to support emulation projects as long as they do not support game theft.
Theft is the taking of property with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of it.  I do not think that emulation projects could support or encourage that.

Perhaps you meant unauthorized copying.

Goggles2114

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:34 am

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

Any chance of the linux port working on arm?

8+4=12

oninoshiko

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:04 am

Goggles2114 said:

I wouldn't put money on it. I don't see source on there, so a port (likely a rebuild, and little more) would have to be done by them. You'll have to talk to them (unless the source is around and I just missed it).

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 am

Goggles2114 said:

Unlikely. The Linux version will be for x86.

There's a DOS version there, so it should work under DOSBOX.  No guarantee on speed though; if they are expecting 2005 hardware, it's likely to be snail-like.

Return to “General discussion”