tonyhughes

Re: Model A price point

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Yfory wrote:Purchased Model A from RS on day of announcement and handed it to my son with-in 5 days; can't complain about that. Here were my charges:

Unit Price: £16.11
Tax: £3.22
Standard Delivery: £4.95

Total: £24.28

This comes to $37.84 US according to Google right now (12/02/13, 12:50).

I do feel that the tag line should be changed from:
"An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25" to "An ARM GNU/Linux box for £25"
Why should they do that? The cost of your Raspberry Pi was $25, not 25 Pounds.
Yfory wrote:but at least for me, that is more a matter of it being a British computer and therefore not being ashamed of the pound coin. It would also help to clear up some disgruntlement.
I don't think 'pride in the native currency of Britain' or 'making sure people who spend in Pounds are gruntled' is a stated goal of the RPF.
Yfory wrote:What does bother me, a lot, is that it cost £4.95 shipping.
£4.95/$7.75 shipping is just not anything hideous to be fair.
Yfory wrote:That's not the Foundation's fault, that's due to 1) The device being sent from Bridgend to somewhere else to somewhere else to Swansea, which is just daft and sends the carbon footprint through the roof, and 2) Royal Mail being an incredibly badly managed organisation (the posties, at least in my experience, tend to be the best but are so badly let down by an overpaid and oversized management structure.)
But if shipping was 2 pounds, all these problems wouldn't exist right? :D

tonyhughes

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm

OMG!!!

I read the FAQ again (I'm making up for those who refuse to...)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

How much will it cost?
The Model A will cost $25 and the Model B $35, plus local taxes and shipping/handling fees.

I just don't know how it can be any clearer than that.

Anyone moaning about taxes, shipping, and handling fees, bumping the price up beyond $25/$35 is clearly only taking half the statement about price, wilfully ignoring the other half, and bitching about the result.

Grow up, and stop being whiney-bottomed babies.

:D

adlambert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm

I bought a Model A Pi last week and it cost $24.54.

I am now Mr Angry because the slogan says "an ARM GNU/Linux Box for $25 - Take a Byte".

Really not very accurate is it? 46 cents under priced and it's not even a box!!

How very rude.

Shouldn't be allowed.

Jim JKla

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 pm

adlambert wrote:I bought a Model A Pi last week and it cost $24.54.

I am now Mr Angry because the slogan says "an ARM GNU/Linux Box for $25 - Take a Byte".

Really not very accurate is it? 46 cents under priced and it's not even a box!!

How very rude.

Shouldn't be allowed.
We are edging into real Python territory, that nearly included a line from the Four Yorkshiremen sketch,

"Cardboard box?"
"Yes"
"You wer lucky" :lol:

And before the pedants get at me I know the original was the "At Last the 1948 Show" but it was on Python live at Drury Lane and without Python the latteral thinking fails. ;)
Last edited by Jim JKla on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

tonyhughes

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Jim JKla wrote:We are edging into real Python territory, that nearly included a line from the Four Yorkshiremen sketch,

"Cardboard box?"
"Yes"
"You wer lucky" :lol:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/mphg/mphg.htm
ARTHUR: Old woman!
DENNIS: Man!
ARTHUR: Old Man, sorry. What knight live in that castle over there?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven -- I'm not old!
ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you `Man'.
DENNIS: Well, you could say `Dennis'.
ARTHUR: Well, I didn't know you were called `Dennis.'
DENNIS: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?
ARTHUR: I did say sorry about the `old woman,' but from the behind
you looked--
DENNIS: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior!
ARTHUR: Well, I AM king...

Jim JKla

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Ordered my RPi RS Sunday recieved it Thursday tested it today Saturday USB output port broken organising return soonest. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

pygmy_giant

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 pm

At the risk of being a pedant:

At the time of writing, the Google Currency Converter has: $25 = £16.11

Going to the RS website states their base price as £15.93.... but, changing the currency on that website shows the base price as $25.81 (?)

Farnell shows £19.03 - so I assume that is inc VAT @ 20% = £15.85 ex VAT

NewIT shows their base price as £17.92 ex VAT - £2 higher

The FAQ says: "The Model A will cost $25 and the Model B $35, plus local taxes and shipping/handling fees."

So is the $25 for a Model A only for Farnell and RS or should it also apply to NewIT?

Burngate

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:19 pm

NewIT is not part of either RS or Farnell - they have to buy from one or the other, and can resell at whatever they want.

AFAIK Farnell and RS are obliged to keep to the price-point, but no-one else has to,and probably couldn't without taking a loss

pygmy_giant

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Maybe it should also say that on the FAQ page then rather than just "The Model A will cost $25 and the Model B $35, plus local taxes and shipping/handling fees."

Perhaps words to the effect of 'from approved distributors' should be added.

I guess this is implied by their logos on the front page.

I note the use of the word 'fees'.

mikerr

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 pm

BTW the WEBFREE promotion is still on at http://cpc.farnell.com, so you can still order just a Model A on its own and get it for £18.88 delivered to your door.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 am

mikerr wrote:BTW the WEBFREE promotion is still on at http://cpc.farnell.com, so you can still order just a Model A on its own and get it for £18.88 delivered to your door.
Still only if you're in the UK, or at least not in the US ... grrrRRR. Anyone willing to be a middleman so we can buy a few for starters for our school's low-current projects?
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

pygmy_giant

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I guess the people with small orders from RS are paying the 'free' p&p for those with bigger orders, and that our American cousins are paying for our 'free' p&p here in the UK.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:04 pm

pygmy_giant wrote:I guess the people with small orders from RS are paying the 'free' p&p for those with bigger orders, and that our American cousins are paying for our 'free' p&p here in the UK.
No. UK and USA are different cost centres with different accounting.

I wish you would give this a rest. Its just going round in circles. Many other companies offer quantity discounts, many companies offer free shipping when you hit a certain order level, many companies quote a free tax and shipping price.

I have no idea why the Rasp foundation getting the flack for how the majority of the world works.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Jim JKla

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 am

Well I got my "A" model returned RS (UK) predicted 10 to 14 days It has been 30 days and Friday they notified that it should be here today or tomorrow so actual looks to be about 35 days.

Note I am not upset or angry just giving folks a heads up and a feel for how long it has actually taken. ;)

Return to “General discussion”