rustek

Re: Power switch now available for Pi

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 pm

OK. Assume I have powered down safely - but then power is removed at the adaptor.... When I then plug the adaptor back in, what effect, if any, would there be on the Pi or the switch?

Robo

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 pm

dempwn wrote:Also, thought i'd share this with anybody. Looks like there is native support for a reset switch on rev2 boards. I plan on doing adding this to my project. Not sure if it has been shared yet, but just letting more know.

http://raspi.tv/tag/raspberry-pi-reset-switch
Just to be clear, the reset switch resets the CPU, it does not safely shut down the Pi. i.e. it's like yanking the power cord then plugging it back in.

canibalimao

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 am

rustek wrote:OK. Assume I have powered down safely - but then power is removed at the adaptor.... When I then plug the adaptor back in, what effect, if any, would there be on the Pi or the switch?
When you plug the adaptor again the Pi could not even boot up (only the red light is on) or it could boot normally. On the switch, I believe, it won't change nothing and it will work as usual.

rustek

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:51 pm

OK. Thanks. It seems the switch will do what I want.
i.e. Not so much to power down safely as I can do that using the power down option on screen anyway.
What I want is someway to prevent the Pi booting up everytime I return power to the adaptor. e.g.. a regular on/off switch.

canibalimao

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:55 pm

rustek wrote:What I want is someway to prevent the Pi booting up everytime I return power to the adaptor. e.g.. a regular on/off switch.
For that you can simply use this switch. It's perfect for the job you want ;)

mausberry

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 am

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give an update, my Kickstarter campaign has finished and I've now got a website up at http://www.mausberrycircuits.com where you can get the setup script and also purchase switches (official purchase page up soon). Thanks for all the support! I also have almost completed the car version as well as the momentary switch design, the Kickstarter campaign put those designs on hold until now.

forumisto

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 am

the whole world will appreciate the scheme ;)
mausberry wrote:Hey guys, I have finished creating a hardware power switch for the Raspberry Pi that communicates with the Pi. It has a micro-USB connector on one end that your normal power supply plugs in to and then a USB port for connecting the Pi to. It uses two leads that connect to GPIO pins and a short script runs in the background (I put it in /etc/rc.local).

When you turn off the switch, the GPIO pins pick this up and run a shutdown sequence. When the shutdown process is complete the switch cuts out power to the Pi board completely.

I've also made a version with two USB ports so your hub can draw power from it (The switch is rated to 1.8 - 2amps).

Also I've just about finished with a car supply/switch that senses when the ignition is turned off and runs the shutdown sequence and provides power until the Pi has safely run its shutdown sequence.

I've attached a video of the switch in action. If you want to buy one, I have the boards on the way and will be assembling them in this week.
$15 + shipping for the regular and dual-USB ones, the car versions will be a little bit more. The script for the Pi and instructions for setting it up (takes less than a minute via SSH) will be included with the switch. You can customize which GPIO pins you use in the script.
If you want a board just send me a message on here or email MausBerryCircuits@gmail.com

Here's the quick YouTube demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0goSyz0_ ... e=youtu.be
photo 2 (2).JPG

ProgDrums

Sat May 18, 2013 10:06 pm

How's the car version coming along? It sounds perfect for a project I have in mind.

mausberry

Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi guys, just letting you know that the 2amp car power supply / switches are now available at http://www.mausberrycircuits.com
The 3amp and dual-USB (for a self-powered USB hub) will be ready in 10-14 days. Thanks again!

ddurdle

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Here's my blog post about integrating one of his illuminated switches into a lego pi

http://ddurdle.blogspot.com/search/label/pi

permaband

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:43 am

This is amazing. Thanks so much! :D

BLeaCH

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 am

@Mausberry

i want to buy a couple of your power switch, but i don't know if your website are still working, i made a question through the contact form but i don't get any answer :?

kurtdcobain

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 am

hello, great project, I would like to know if this switch also works with the raspberry powered by both hub usb that microusb in the same time.

ddurdle

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:13 pm

No, switch will be able to send the shutdown command but not poweroff the pi if you have a power source backpowering the pi over the USB. I think the creator mentioned in the past there was some modification he could do to allow that on an individual-request basis.

I think the simplest solution would be to sacrifice a usb and cut the ground and power lines. This way there is no backpowering from the hub.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:56 pm

ddurdle wrote:No, switch will be able to send the shutdown command but not poweroff the pi if you have a power source backpowering the pi over the USB. I think the creator mentioned in the past there was some modification he could do to allow that on an individual-request basis.

I think the simplest solution would be to sacrifice a usb and cut the ground and power lines. This way there is no backpowering from the hub.
Or get a hub that is built correctly, like the PiHub, or this one: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-12399 from MCM.

ddurdle

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:33 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
ddurdle wrote:No, switch will be able to send the shutdown command but not poweroff the pi if you have a power source backpowering the pi over the USB. I think the creator mentioned in the past there was some modification he could do to allow that on an individual-request basis.

Or get a hub that is built correctly, like the PiHub, or this one: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-12399 from MCM.
The hub you referenced has a mechanism to prevent backpowering? Because it doesn't state anything to that effect and the single review suggests otherwise.

Cheetah

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:58 pm

ddurdle wrote:The hub you referenced has a mechanism to prevent backpowering? Because it doesn't state anything to that effect and the single review suggests otherwise.
I don't see anything in the review that suggests it provides back power. IME very few hubs do, esp. not good ones, and providing back power is in fact a violation of the USB spec. I read that review as indicating that it provides plenty of forward power, i.e. you would need to connect two cables between it and the RPi to operate.

Oldchatterman

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 am

I ordered a "mausberry" power switch August 30, 2013 and never received it. Mailed mister Mausberry a few times and no response at all ..., please be warned and don't send him your money like I did.

Elliott B

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:00 am

Looks good, but the external 120v - 5v adapter is still wasting power all the time. It would be better to have this switch cut power at the mains instead, using some kind of relay.

Cheetah

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:50 am

Elliott B wrote:Looks good, but the external 120v - 5v adapter is still wasting power all the time. It would be better to have this switch cut power at the mains instead, using some kinyd of relay.
Making a device that can turn on a relay at mains level when disconnected from the mains, and be electrically safe, will give you a box bigger than the Pi, and more expensive too. By my calculations, a Pi running on a very inefficient power supply with expensive electricity rates, will consume about 13 USD in electricity per year. The USB power supply with the Pi disconnected would probably consume less than 10 cents a year. The mains relay will probably cost more than the Pi will consume for the year, not to mention all the other components, including a mains level double pole push button switch that might be more expensive than the relay.

symaster

Sat May 17, 2014 3:52 am

Mausberry, can you specify the new dimensions for me for the purpose of a case that will cover the board along with the Illuminated LED shutdown switch.

chrysrhodes

Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 pm

I would love to order a few of these. Right now, I would need at least 3. Please contact me asap about placing an order. BlackhawkEntertainment@yahoo.com or 937-867-9727 cell/text

Thank you,
Chrys
www.blackhawkentertainment@yahoo.com.org

davezx

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:06 pm

If these are still available is it possible to get one please?
Would need to be delivered to the uk.
Thanks
Dave

GordonTGopher

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:53 am

You might want to try http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/

Gordon

Return to “General discussion”