Kerblamm

Re: Emulation Speculation

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:45 am

Do you suppose it would be possible to run Nintendo DS games on the Raspberry Pi? The DS processor is ARM, so I think it would be possible. Maybe I can devise some sort of cartridge input via GPIO (or use a ROM). Do you guys know what emulator works best for DS games?

Jessie

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 am

It may be possible to run the games natively somehow due to the fact that the DS uses an ARM processor.  Emulation I doubt would work, the DS sports dual arm processors one running at 33Mhz and the other running at 67Mhz.  Emulating stuff is not verry efficient, but due to the simular processors someone may be able to make a library to make the games run natively.  I have heard that the carts are just some modified type of SD card, but I don't know if that is true or not.  There are usb SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive cart slots so I don't see why someone couldn't make one for the DS other than legalities.

At any rate you ares still talking a lot of work, I have no idea if anyone would be interested in it or not.  Furthermore, I can gaurantee that with the DS still being a cash cow for Nintendo if the original carts werent used they would sue.  Even with the original carts they may claim the user in violation of the terms of service, and sue.

I have no idea what emulator works best with ds games since I just play them on original hardware.  The other point you may consider is how you intend on playing games that require touch screen input or mic input.  This would be far from ideal in either case.

Chromatix

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:13 am

Touchscreen is not a problem really - the DS only has a basic resistive sensor which is easily substituted by a mouse.

A microphone can be attached via USB, too.  Alternatively you could rig up buttons which simulate various sounds being received.

There are emulators available already which are good enough to run most games on a typical desktop PC.  I think those would be the most relevant starting point.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Kerblamm

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 pm

Jessie said:

Emulating stuff is not verry efficient, but due to the simular processors someone may be able to make a library to make the games run natively.

Yes. Maybe someone can create a simple environment to boot into and it will bring up a terminal interface stating whether you want to launch DS cartridge (if you have one inserted into some sort of device), or select a ROM. That way it would cut out the extra processes of an operating system.

toxibunny

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:56 pm

There are a few ARM based non-nintendo consoles around - have a look-see if they"ve got anything similar in the works... Personally, I doubt it, but you never know...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

NITROgaming

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:02 am

It is (maybe) possible, especialy once the android 4.0 operating system gets finished, once its finished you should be able to download an older version of nds4droid and run it at a painful speed on the pi with terrible controls... But still its an idea.
Visit my site at www.n2o1gaming.weebly.com to download my music and see some cool projects!

Return to “General discussion”