AncientDragon

keyboard problems

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:28 am

Just got a Raspberry Pi today with US keyboard driver. The Pi is almost unusable because the keyboard is so erratic. It misses half the keys I type, and often when I press a key once it may repeat it 10 or more times. There is nothing wrong with the keyboard itself because I use it on MS-Windows machine and it works ok. It's not just one key, but all of them work like that. I can't even log in due to this behavior. right now I'm using a browser on MS-Windows 7 computer.

Any idea how to resolve this problem?

Jim JKla

Re: keyboard problems

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Try an ssh blind login ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Burngate

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 pm

1) Keyboard problems may be caused by power problems, so investigating that may be worth while

2)Not all keyboards are equal, and in fact more costly may be worse. So try the cheapest you can find

3)Stuttering keyboards can be caused by key-down or key-up events being missed by the USB system. This has been improved immensely in recent months, so make sure you're using the latest image from the downloads page

pjc123

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 pm

AncientDragon wrote:Just got a Raspberry Pi today with US keyboard driver. The Pi is almost unusable because the keyboard is so erratic. It misses half the keys I type, and often when I press a key once it may repeat it 10 or more times. There is nothing wrong with the keyboard itself because I use it on MS-Windows machine and it works ok. It's not just one key, but all of them work like that. I can't even log in due to this behavior. right now I'm using a browser on MS-Windows 7 computer.

Any idea how to resolve this problem?
See if your keyboard is listed here with the term "sticky keys" or other reason it has known problems:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

If so, to resolve the problem get a known working keyboard, preferrably a wired one to minimize problems.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Return to “General discussion”