romaticer

Re: Raspberry Pi 101 (read before posting)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:32 am

Hello all .I'm finding some information. :lol:

Blue908

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:04 am

Hi! Im new with this and dont know anything about programming! I read about the raspberry pi and bought one! Iol.. I need help i just want to te raspberry to replace my apple tv, meaning i just want to have xbmc on it and the add on to watch movies.. I installed xbmc but then asked for operating system :( what is the easiest process i shoul follow.. I apprecciate any help i can get!!!! Thanks

itimpi

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 am

You should download one of the the distributions that provides XBMC in a 'ready-to-run' form for the Raspberry Pi. Currently there are 3 available:
  • openElec
  • RaspBMC
  • Xbian
Which is best is subjective and varies as they each continue improving but they all are based on XBMC for viewing. You can Google for their download links.

lunar-base-1

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 am

Hi Liz, my nickname on the web has been "Sam / Sammy" for years although my real name is Gary. I am a retired teacher of IT, computer science, and physics. Nothing too highbrow - I arrived there (GCSE stuff) fairly late in my working career out of love & wonder for physics and curiosity about computers, hardware and software. Much later RasPi came along and seemed just the thing for me to keep down those plaque formations in the grey-stuff.

I think it is a pity there are no direct A/D ports. Kids love measuring things. My first project will be sensing temperature and conductivity for a lie-detector game (if there is not already one). Sam.

Bob The Fat Unicorn

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:56 am

JackRosario wrote:hi i am new to this but i am really interested in it. i am wondering where do i buy this? are they for sale? and if not please contact me and tell me when. i want to get this and test it out. if all goes well, i have about 25 friends who will also buy them. thank you :)
Amazon :)

WeUsePis

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Bob The Fat Unicorn wrote:
JackRosario wrote:hi i am new to this but i am really interested in it. i am wondering where do i buy this? are they for sale? and if not please contact me and tell me when. i want to get this and test it out. if all goes well, i have about 25 friends who will also buy them. thank you :)
Amazon :)
I strongly suggest NOT to buy it from Amazon. not because it is Amazon, but because of the price gauging of the reseller. You can get the Pi from the official distributors for the posted price of 35$. While some folks resell the Pi on Amazon they do mark it up quite a bit, in some cases twice the price! If you really want to spend 70 bucks go to Newark / Premier Farnell and get two Pis. I find it highly unethical that some buy a Pi and resell it for twice the price without adding anything of value. Folks interested in the Pi should not support such behavior. There are exceptions such as Adafruit Industries who slightly charge more but also offer a lot of value such as the Adafruit Learning System.
Hmmmm, maybe I just missed the sarcasm in suggesting Amazon....
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/

JPS 1000

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi, I hope people can help me. I bought a Rpi (modelB) for my son, who is 13 and we are struggling. I downloaded the torrent on the the card as instructed, but nothing is happening when we turn it on. Ther e is a red light, and a green one intermittently.

Have we set it up incorrectly? Have I not saved it to the card correctly? I know these are really basic questions, but he is the techy one!

Hope people can help

Joes mum :-)

-rst-

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 am

JPS 1000 wrote:... I downloaded the torrent on the the card as instructed, but nothing is happening when we turn it on. Ther e is a red light, and a green one intermittently. Have we set it up incorrectly? Have I not saved it to the card correctly? I know these are really basic questions, but he is the techy one! ...
This could just be the case of the RPi not detecting the display correctly at the boot time - might want to check these sub-forums http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=12
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'

SuffolkSilver

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:38 pm

abishur wrote:check out the first FAQ, on the FAQ page link in this post ;)
Saw an interesting article in How to Geek today about someine use a Pi to connect a basic text scanner
Why spend extra money on a scan-to-email capable scanner or multi-purpose device when you can repurpose an old scanner and a Raspberry Pi into a one-button email-enabled scanner.

Eduardo Luís, tinker behind the hack, explains the impetus for his franken-scanner:

I came across this idea because There is a problem in the company that I work for. There is a remote office that has only a few people working a few hours a day. For these people computers are still a “complicated” object. We have internet and a VPN there. We also have e-mail and a server for remote backups. However something was missing. We need an easy way to transfer paper documents to our headquarters instantly.

To Buy a network scanner was too expensive; to buy a simple scanner and attach it to a computer was not a solution either, because there are 3 computers to 3 people. Despite that, it will not be would be an easy task to use this software due to people lack of knowledge.

His solution was to hook an old scanner up to a Raspberry Pi, which is turn outfitted with a simple one-button interface and linked to the company network. All his less-than-computer-saavy office mates need to do is lift the lid, place the document, and press the button. Check out the video above to see it in action and hit up the link below to read more about the project.

http://hackaday.com/2013/01/10/one-butt ... pberry-pi/

LRAx

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 am

I agree with Liz,there seem lots of people getting unnecessarily angry on this forum although,for me, it would be nice to now when the lower power Model A will be available considering that they've delaying it for a long time now.Also,would it be too much to ask the foundation to add extra 256MB RAM or either 2 USB ports(no need for usb hub)instead of one 'cause I'm planning to use the Model A as a media center once I get my hands on it.

Jessie

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:55 am

LRAx wrote:I agree with Liz,there seem lots of people getting unnecessarily angry on this forum although,for me, it would be nice to now when the lower power Model A will be available considering that they've delaying it for a long time now.Also,would it be too much to ask the foundation to add extra 256MB RAM or either 2 USB ports(no need for usb hub)instead of one 'cause I'm planning to use the Model A as a media center once I get my hands on it.
Yes 256 more ram would make the model A cost more than $25

2 USB ports... You haven't read much on this forum have you? The SOC used in both the model A and model B only has one USB bus avalible. So in order to have more than one port a hub chip would have to be added to the board and thus would bring the cost up. The model B has such a chip it is a hub with ethernet built in.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 am

LRAx wrote:I agree with Liz,there seem lots of people getting unnecessarily angry on this forum although,for me, it would be nice to now when the lower power Model A will be available considering that they've delaying it for a long time now.Also,would it be too much to ask the foundation to add extra 256MB RAM or either 2 USB ports(no need for usb hub)instead of one 'cause I'm planning to use the Model A as a media center once I get my hands on it.
Saying we have been delaying the Model A implies it's deliberate. It isn't. It's a consequence of everything else. If we could get it out faster we would. Much stuff happens behind the scenes which affects all sorts of things.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

WeUsePis

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 pm

LRAx wrote:I agree with Liz,there seem lots of people getting unnecessarily angry on this forum
I agree as well. Suggestions and constructive feedback are fine, but some totally forget that they spent 35$ and not more. I do not know of any other computing platform that is as versatile and at the same time as cost optimized as the Pi. Yes, you need to buy some extra stuff, but that is true for any other computer as well. And even if that you can get a complete system to use for possibly under 100$ if you are a smart shopper and use community based services (such as freecycle or Craigslist or equivalents) you can pick up an old (and sometimes not so old) monitor or TV, definitely a keyboard and mouse, maybe a USB hub, and with some luck even a power supply that works out. As far as power supplies go, there are several sets of instructions on how to use almost any DC power supply that generates more than 5V and have it work with the Pi as long as you are willing to solder a few parts together (and those can be taped or screwed onto a piece of wood, no need for anything more fancy).
Yet, we got folks who get bent out of shape that there is no wireless, not 10 USB ports, no VGA, no this or that. The features of the Pi are well documented and the documents easy to find. If the Pi doesn't fit your needs or you are not willing to tinker around a bit, save a bit longer and get a refurbished Windows PC, or even one for free from any such lists as mentioned above. There are many people who get it and they are fine with the Pi not being the quad core x64 gaming rig. Let's focus on those and the ones that make some reasonable suggestions.
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/

LRAx

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 am

Jessie wrote:
Yes 256 more ram would make the model A cost more than $25

2 USB ports... You haven't read much on this forum have you? The SOC used in both the model A and model B only has one USB bus avalible. So in order to have more than one port a hub chip would have to be added to the board and thus would bring the cost up. The model B has such a chip it is a hub with ethernet built in.

K,thanks,just wonderin you know?, ;)

Trcx

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 pm

What is the forum's stance on "hacking." Obviously malicious hacking is not allowed, but what about hacking as a means of education? For example there was one individual who was asking about the security of SSH, and ended up asking how to do a dictionary attack. I gave him/her the names of some tools to perform said attack. Did I overstep my bounds? I completely understand if the forum administrators want to say they can find the content else where, and it doesn't need to be here but then does that mean I can provide links to other sites about the topic? Please clarify as I want to be respectful of the rules.

abishur

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Trcx wrote:What is the forum's stance on "hacking." Obviously malicious hacking is not allowed, but what about hacking as a means of education? For example there was one individual who was asking about the security of SSH, and ended up asking how to do a dictionary attack. I gave him/her the names of some tools to perform said attack. Did I overstep my bounds? I completely understand if the forum administrators want to say they can find the content else where, and it doesn't need to be here but then does that mean I can provide links to other sites about the topic? Please clarify as I want to be respectful of the rules.
A long time ago, I remember the mods who existed back then were discussing this basic question. The general consensus we achieved is that we would prefer all "black hat" topics to left off site. You're not in trouble for bringing it up, as we don't object to such tools in their proper location. The issue at hand, however, is that the pi is ultimately meant for school applications. As such we don't want to be scaring away teachers and school boards because they think the pi is a hacker's tool. Obviously any computational device can be used to "hack" something, but ignorance and fear are a deadly mix. So we do ask that such things aren't brought up on the forums :-) Thanks for asking!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Trcx

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:47 pm

abishur wrote:A long time ago, I remember the mods who existed back then were discussing this basic question. The general consensus we achieved is that we would prefer all "black hat" topics to left off site. You're not in trouble for bringing it up, as we don't object to such tools in their proper location. The issue at hand, however, is that the pi is ultimately meant for school applications. As such we don't want to be scaring away teachers and school boards because they think the pi is a hacker's tool. Obviously any computational device can be used to "hack" something, but ignorance and fear are a deadly mix. So we do ask that such things aren't brought up on the forums :-) Thanks for asking!
Thank you for the response. If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying there is no need to pretend to be ignorant that hacking exists, but there is no need to bring it up unnecessarily. Thank you for the clarification.

kbailey

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:42 am

PI needs some things, but not a lot more. As a contrast, My Acer AspireOne is 800 Mhz, 1 core, is now dual booted, and runs FINE with lucid puppy 5.28.005; the current software for the pi needs polishing is all. However, handling it a lot will lead to corrosion and mechanical failure of sockets. These should NOT fail, but WILL fail, because of pulling and pushing on board mounted sockets- and no on/off switch. The cost of this is a lot more than the cost of the switch.

On rev C, please off-mount the connectors people handle for stress relief, and use ribbon connectors to cheap ribbon sockets that set onto riser pin rows- like the expansion buss outlet that's already on my Rev B board. If Bud wants our trade light the fire under their assets to do a better box.More RAM might be nice, but 512K is apparently enough, as long as the paging to the SD is fast- the Raspberry Pi specification should SPECIFICALLY call for top speed class flash cards. Um, that's currently class 10 I think? And considering the large numbers of old used operational VGA screens out there, why did they opt for HDMI output, which requires a relatively new TV or monitor in that format? Used SVGA can be had for $20 or thereabouts. HDMI is either relatively new TV, or it is a rare and rather newish monitor. Even a GOOD converter (which I splurged on) will degrade the signal somewhat. Are we doing out best here?

The wifi dingle Amazon recommends to go with the bundle package demands use of a Cd drive to load a driver. Wonder bloody full. PLEASE LIST WIFI DONGLES THAT INCLUDE OR DO NOT NEED DRIVERS, OR FOR WHICH A DRIVER IS INCLUDED IN THE AVAILABLE OPSYS PACKAGES.

I want my firefox!!! GRRR!!! :evil:

This machine is huge; sure, getting it into the hands of kids is grand and noble and lovely, and pity it is that kids have no income, and must cajole mom and dad, or THE TAX MAN to purchase it for them- IEEEEEEE!!!! But there are other markets, ignoring geeks (which is never wise). Now how many poor folk world wide could just manage to afford a pi and get online? Would THAT have positive social impact? U BET IT WOULD. This thing can be the cybernetic chicken in every pot, the model T at every curb, and I want to help make that happen. :P

Please think of me as part of the team, the best sort of enemy out there- criticizing, finding fault, and under it all hoping you succeed spectacularly. :ugeek:
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

nardismiles

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm purchasing the R-pi, and I just want to be sure that the power connector is mini-usb. If not, what kind of connector is it?

Thanks,

Art Edwards

LemmeFatale

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 am

From the FAQ page;
POWER
What are the power requirements?

The device is powered by 5v micro USB. You can read more about it here. Power supplies will be available at launch.
I hope this helps. :)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

tonyhughes

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 am

nardismiles wrote:I'm purchasing the R-pi, and I just want to be sure that the power connector is mini-usb. If not, what kind of connector is it?

Thanks,

Art Edwards
Definitely not mini-USB.

It is micro-USB.

Jolene

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 am

Hi! I'm just a parent who is intrigued by the idea of Raspberry PI for my 11 year old (soon to be 12). I have been reading your FAQ's and About Me pages but am still more than a little confused. My son (so I am told) shows extreme promise in the world of robotics and computer programming. Because of this and his love of Minecraft, I was led to your site in search of a unique and educational birthday gift that I hope he will enjoy. Could you give me an idea, in simple terms as to whether this would be an appropriate gift for him? Based on the advanced computer language in your forums, I fear he is too young and inexperienced to use the Raspberry PI. I don't want to give him a gift that he can't use until it's already obsolete. Currently, he programs robots for Lego League and does fairly well, considering that he is usually one of the youngest in the competitions and he has just started getting interested in programming games on his laptop. He says that he doesn't know the programming language well enough to progress to a higher level. Is he too young and inexperienced for the Raspberry PI? I really want to support his interests but I fall a little short in the area of computer literacy. Any advice would be most welcome.

Gert van Loo

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Based on the advanced computer language in your forums
I picked the above quote from your request as it seem to be the core of your hesitation.
Yes, a lot of posts are beyond an 11-12 year old.
They are also beyond a 55-year old who holds a masters degree in programming (me!)
That is because often the people on THAT forum have been emerged in THAT specific part of computers for a long time and
they come for help. Don't judge the Pi on those!
There are lost of forums where beginners can ask questions and we are willing to help them out.
You will also see that there is one type of question which is not answered: "Can you write that piece of code for me"
(If only to stop us from doing the student assignments from every school on the planet)

I don't know your financial situation but compared to any other computer $25 is not
too much wasted if in the end it does not work out.
The potential gains are enormous, the loss is comparative low.

LemmeFatale

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Your son is far, far ahead of almost-30-year-old me in the programming stakes, and he's lucky enough to still be at the stage of soaking up information like a sponge! (I was one of those "shows extreme promise" kids, myself, but many of the teachers I had pretty much feared computers and preferred to spread discouraging myths about them to parents, instead of teaching about them, which led to some wasted opportunities, education-wise.)

It's well worth mentioning that the Raspberry Pi has brought with it a wealth of materials, and an accompanying community (this one!), that all help a great deal with learning new things about computing. I suspect, given your mention of your son's enthusiasm and talent for the subject-matter, he may get on very well with it all.

There are some excellent books that seem to provide a great starting point to anyone of just about any level of technical comprehension, too. I'm working through The Raspberry Pi User Guide (a book covering getting started with the Raspberry Pi, several projects, and a starting point for programming with it), and Super Scratch Programming Adventure! (a complete-beginner's-guide to the Scratch programming language, partly presented in the format of a comic book, where the programming examples in each chapter are used to progress the story), myself. Depending on your son's existing programming experience, the latter of these might be less useful to him than it is to me! :lol: The reviews for these might perhaps be useful for further research into the device's suitability.

There's also the downloadable, free-of-charge online magazine, The MagPi, which has a lively selection of content and projects to look into, as well. It's very much in the spirit of the computing magazines that kids (and, indeed, adults) learned from back in the 1980s, which is a very good thing indeed! The most recent issue (at the time of writing) has a feature on getting started with Minecraft: Pi Edition, including programming things into the game's world.

I hope that at least some of this is helpful to you, and I wish you and your son the very best of luck with pursuing his interests! :)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

gingir

Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 am

I am sorry but is it just me or the wiki page is loading terribly slowly? I mean the elinux one.

Last edited by gingir on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General discussion”