pluggy

Re: RaspBerry Pi(e) Model C (imaginations & wants)

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 am

It still feeds the family though, so everybody has to continue using it......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

BlueScreenJunky

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Haha, I wouldn't worry about that ;-)

Anyway, back on topic, I would indeed like to see faster hardware in a future revision of the Pi (not right now though, it's only been a few months since it's been updated to 512MB.
I can't help but feel we are under the sweet spot of Performance/Price ratio : If you add a power supply, a case and a decent SD Card (which is what I did, like most people I know who own a Pi), it costs about 55 euros ($70) with shipping, so I guess adding 10 dollars for a faster CPU and more RAM wouldn't change THAT much.

I can see a potential problem though : If I understood correctly the Raspbian OS is compiled specifically for ARMv6, so moving a future version of the Raspberry Pi to a more recent CPU might require a different Distribution, which would make things more complicated (which Distro do I need for my Pi ?...). But I may also be totally wrong ^^;

In the meantime, I'll have fun with my raspberry Pi rev B, which is enough for my small LAMP developpement server as long as I stay away from MySQL.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

BlueScreenJunky wrote: In the meantime, I'll have fun with my raspberry Pi rev B, which is enough for my small LAMP developpement server as long as I stay away from MySQL.
On my development system I'm running MySQL...but not Apache or PERL/Python (yet). Maybe we could just say that one can reasonably run a half-stack.

VeryNoob

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:34 am

I'd love to see a Raspberry Pi with LESS features.

Start with a Model A, and swap the audio, composite, USB, and power in for header pins. Make it a super embedded system. Then people could produce boards you plug into that didn't have to have all the wires hanging out.

For example you could connect a board that had a hub to the USB header which is then connected to a wireless module with antenna on the PCB, a USB port and an SD card reader, put a LCD on the SPI/i2c bus, infrared receiver on the GPIO, and a single power connector that fed back into the Pi board via it's headers. It would be a single board that connected to the Pi to give you an awesome media/XBMC PC. No messy cables connecting hubs for power/Wi-Fi, etc.

And there are other boards you could make. Add an amp to the 3.5mm header pins, an LCD with some buttons and have an internet radio. All super compact, as you can put everything on one expansion board.

Lob0426

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:58 am

VeryNoob wrote:I'd love to see a Raspberry Pi with LESS features.

Start with a Model A, and swap the audio, composite, USB, and power in for header pins. Make it a super embedded system. Then people could produce boards you plug into that didn't have to have all the wires hanging out.

For example you could connect a board that had a hub to the USB header which is then connected to a wireless module with antenna on the PCB, a USB port and an SD card reader, put a LCD on the SPI/i2c bus, infrared receiver on the GPIO, and a single power connector that fed back into the Pi board via it's headers. It would be a single board that connected to the Pi to give you an awesome media/XBMC PC. No messy cables connecting hubs for power/Wi-Fi, etc.

And there are other boards you could make. Add an amp to the 3.5mm header pins, an LCD with some buttons and have an internet radio. All super compact, as you can put everything on one expansion board.
I agree with you in this,to a point, but, would it not make it impossible for the foundation to reach its goal? Very few people have the stuff lying around to attach to pin headers. I do, but most do not!

There are a number of boards that do connect to the GPIO that are allowing many people to build some very interesting projects.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

feverish

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 pm

I have a little Raspi, the bigger comes real soon,
All say the cost is minuscule - for schoolkids that's a boon.
But one thing's simply missing, its really plain to see
What's needed is a simple way - of handling ADC,
'Cos analogue's what life's about, 'tis digital's that intrude,
And how to move from one to t'other makes super-brainies brood.
Plus, adding bits from outside may sound so good and nice,
Except that doing this real well more than doubles-up the price.
A camera and a cheap display don't mean so much to me,
Since I'm ugly and already I've got HDMI TV.
So, how about it, Raspberry, look upwards to the sky,
And do your best, and soonest, my hopes to satisfy.
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

sej7278

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:12 pm

could we just have the promised software fixes for usb and analogue audio?

at the moment the pi has the hidden costs of a powered usb hub and usb soundcard to workaround its limitations.

you can't even buy the DSI module to work around the poor webcam support.

i love the idea of the rpi, but i'm seriously considering something arduino/via/beagle/allwinner for my future projects, there's just too much bulk needed to add onto the pi to get it to do anything interesting - £30 may be cheap, but its about that again for addons, and its no longer small form factor.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:39 pm

sej7278 wrote:could we just have the promised software fixes for usb and analogue audio?

at the moment the pi has the hidden costs of a powered usb hub and usb soundcard to workaround its limitations.

you can't even buy the DSI module to work around the poor webcam support.

i love the idea of the rpi, but i'm seriously considering something arduino/via/beagle/allwinner for my future projects, there's just too much bulk needed to add onto the pi to get it to do anything interesting - £30 may be cheap, but its about that again for addons, and its no longer small form factor.
USB and camera are both being worked on right now.

It's rather mean to say "you can't even buy the DSI module" don't you think? The current eta is end of Q1.

It's CSI-2 not DSI btw. And remember limitations are only limitations if you need those particular features. Most people don't need analog sound cards, and most people also have no problems with USB.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

sej7278

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:34 pm

jamesh wrote:USB and camera are both being worked on right now.

It's rather mean to say "you can't even buy the DSI module" don't you think? The current eta is end of Q1.

It's CSI-2 not DSI btw. And remember limitations are only limitations if you need those particular features. Most people don't need analog sound cards, and most people also have no problems with USB.
yeah i was being a bit mean, sorry; but "most people having no problems with usb" is probably pushing reality i think, first it was a cow trying to find a working hub, then it was webcams and people are still seeing network dropouts from ethernet let alone wifi dongles.

interesting about CSI-2, so is CSI-1 the rumoured soundcard (or was that I2S?) or is it the lcd addon?

ghans

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:24 am

i2s could be used for a soundcard.
CSi1/CSi2 are different revisions of the same standard i guess.
C stands for camera, DSI is for displays only.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am

sej7278 wrote:
jamesh wrote:USB and camera are both being worked on right now.

yeah i was being a bit mean, sorry; but "most people having no problems with usb" is probably pushing reality i think, first it was a cow trying to find a working hub, then it was webcams and people are still seeing network dropouts from ethernet let alone wifi dongles.

interesting about CSI-2, so is CSI-1 the rumoured soundcard (or was that I2S?) or is it the lcd addon?
I'll stand by my USB statement - most people see no problems - I don;t for example, but webcams are indeed a problem.

As for CSI-2 - that's a camera interface, DSI is a LCD panel interface. And I'm not sure where you heard about a rumoured soundcard - I've not heard anything about that.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Riebulka

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 pm

x86
x86
x86 please,

I hate arm cuz nothin' works on it
Riebulka from lithuania

jamesh

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Riebulka wrote:x86
x86
x86 please,

Riebulka from lithuania
What are you doing here if you hate ARM? The Raspi is an ARM device - that's not going to change. If you want x86 go elsewhere. Although it's odd you say nothing runs on it - that is a completely incorrect statement. There is a huge amount of software that runs on the Raspi (and other ARM devices running linux). If you haven't found it, that's not the fault of the ARM processor, it's yours for not looking.

And the word you are looking for is 'because'.

Jessie

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Riebulka wrote:x86
x86
x86 please,

Riebulka from lithuania
Name one x86 SOC cheap enough to go into a $35 PC.

I personally love ARM based devices. Trust me they all have no problem running software. Every peice of software I want they run.

The only software I wish they would run that dosnt work are modern retail games. But it is also unfair to expect a $35 PC to run those games when the GPU alone in my PC cost over $300. But it dosnt stop me from wishing.

abishur

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Riebulka wrote: I hate arm cuz nothin' works on it
Darn, all this time and I've just been hallucinating about the working condition of: my media center, samba share, retro gaming center (MAME, NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy Color), sprinkler controller system, Apache webserver (with PHP and mysql backend), custom menu for selecting what to run, Pandora (internet radio), Windows 3.1, and all those games (Star Control, and a slew of free-ware dos games) and the remote site backup for my parents. Not taking into account what all the other forum members have done with their pi :roll:
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:23 pm

There are a few cases where ARM is the problem: Java and closed-source drivers spring to mind. But by far the larger "problem" is that Linux is not Windows. That is what will stop the most software working. But of course, even if the RaspPi was x86, and even if it ran Windows, it is still a 300MHz x86 with 512MB of RAM. That is far below the minimum requirements of the vast majority of modern Windows software, including Windows itself.

If the RaspPi was x86, nobody would buy it and far more reviews would pan it.

abishur

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:45 pm

rurwin wrote:There are a few cases where ARM is the problem: Java and closed-source drivers spring to mind.
Tossing aside my tongue-in-check sarcasm, I'd say another area where ARM can be a problem is when it lacks a strong user base. I've set it before and I'll say it again, the pi has been such a success not because or in spite of the CPU architecture, but because of the insanely strong user base that has worked hard to identify and fix problems with the system
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

DirkS

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:56 pm

jamesh wrote:There is a huge amount of software that runs on the Raspi (and other ARM devices running linux). If you haven't found it, that's not the fault of the ARM processor, it's yours for not looking.
Ah, but he hates linux too: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 05#p307505
Oh, and he wants more RAM: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 30#p233330

Gr.
Dirk

Jessie

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 pm

DirkS wrote:
jamesh wrote:There is a huge amount of software that runs on the Raspi (and other ARM devices running linux). If you haven't found it, that's not the fault of the ARM processor, it's yours for not looking.
Ah, but he hates linux too: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 05#p307505
Oh, and he wants more RAM: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 30#p233330

Gr.
Dirk
Hummm, looks like a posible canidate for the banhammer. I wait pending maybe a useful post...

W. H. Heydt

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 am

Jessie wrote:
DirkS wrote:

Gr.
Dirk
Hummm, looks like a posible canidate for the banhammer. I wait pending maybe a useful post...
I don't know....such posts make it possible for people to cite the things the Pi does, including (potentially) things he says don't work.

Burngate

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 am

He's not been rude or offensive, he's just trying to stir things up.
If he only gets reasonable, measured responses, he may grow up to be a valuable member of the community

So don't ban him yet.

recantha2

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:05 am

Might even be able to educate him if he sticks around long enough
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

jamesh

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:40 am

recantha2 wrote:Might even be able to educate him if he sticks around long enough
Quite - after all, that's what we are here for...

HappyPiUser

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Since this is the "Pi in the sky" thread...and it's April 1st....

Basic hardware specs for Model C:

Dual ARM Cortex A9 at 1 GHz
Integrated VideoCore® IV embedded processor
1080p 30 fps video encode and decode
3D Graphics: OpenGL® ES 1.1/2.0 support
TeakLite-III® DSP at 400 MHz
Hardware security
Audio codecs
Low-power 40 nm process
1GB RAM (of course)

Based on this SOC:

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Applic ... s/BCM11311

Maybe in a few years!

hamiltino

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 pm

If you want to speed up a PC, you don't just brute force it with more hardware power. You alter the operating system its run on. If you think the computer is slow. Try and use other OS alternatives like debian squeeze with GNOME 2 which is much faster than LXDE from my experience. Or you could build a distribution yourself with what you want to use it for hence getting rid of any processes that could slow it down. OpenBox is also a great alternative to LXDE which i find to be extremely snappy and low on cpu and gpu usage.

The list can go on. Only people who aren't used to what they had on Windows or MAC or even other Linux distributions on their home PC straight away think the problem lies in the hardware. I refute that as i do remember DOS and Windows 98 on my Pentium 3 to be fast and snappy as computers today because the software was appropriate for the hardware. This raspberry PI is not intended for you if you want to do everything you are used to doing with your computer at home.

Peace.

Return to “General discussion”