a10112

Re: the rage is coming

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 am

I don't know exactly how many people are after the RPi but I can say that there will most likely be a huge number of people who didn't get in on the initial release... and they will rage.

teh_orph

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 am

a10112 said:

I don't know exactly how many people are after the RPi but I can say that there will most likely be a huge number of people who didn't get in on the initial release... and they will rage.

Yeah I'll be very disappointed if I don't get one, so I'll be there hitting refresh when they go on sale (Olympic tickets-style) to ensure I do. ebay grey market?

Jaseman

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 am

Just tell them that the second batch will have European crystals instead of Chinese ones, and that EU ones are much better quality than Communist.  Utter lies, but they might buy it.

dapperdanman

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:19 pm

a10112 said:

I am hoping that all of us that ultimately miss out on the first batch rage in a polite and friendly way. My guess that with all of the coverage that the foundation is getting that the 10,000 will go quickly. Good for them as they deserve a successful launch. Let everyone who misses out be civil and congratulatory on the initial 10,000.

Andre_P

Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Well people always a demand a reason to be incensed about something, here are some possible statements.

NOTE THESE ARE SAID IN FUN AND EXAMPLES OF STUPID PEOPLE WITHOUT ANY PATIENCE. Note I am Welsh

"How dare they not let me have one!!"

"Damn the Foundation, they are obviously Anglocentric because they didn't put the sales server in MY country!!"

"I tell you it's a Western Conspiracy not to let us in the Third World get access"

"I tell you it's an Eastern Conspiracy, they want to continue their economic growth"

"They didn't sell me one because I am/a French/Indonesian/American/Venusian/Invisible/ExtraSolar/Blue/Welsh/Working Class/Upper Class/Daily Mail Reader/The Sun Picture viewer/too old/too young/Middle Class/Work for Rupert Murdoch/allegedly provided recordings to a news outlet owned by Rupert Murdoch/Vote Right/Vote Left/Fictional Character/named Chardonnay/enjoyed 'Lord of the Rings'/hated 'Lord of the Rings'/Republican/Monachist/ etc..."

I would love to collect people who created the worst of Humanities pathetic whinges and gently, politely ask them

"What did you do to improve the state of affairs of Humanity ?"

"Did you even attempt to put a smile onto the face of a complete stranger ?"

abishur

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:57 pm

eBay gray market will not be a very viable options as people are limited to one unit and with the number of people who legitimately want one, coupled with the fact the RPF has already stated that they plan on putting up a few on eBay for charity auction all mean it's very unlikely that we'll see one of those losers who buy up the units on release day just to have bigger idiots who can't wait one more week to buy it for a fraction of the eBay price they just paid for it.  </rant>

*ahem* I might have some small amount of opinions on the subject of eBay scalpers
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

TheEponymousBob

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:33 pm

In all seriousness, the rage felt by anyone who doesn't get in on the first batch will be nothing compared to that they will see if the have the neck to complain about it, here or otherwise.  Don't get me wrong, disappointment I can understand; in fact I reckon there's a reasonable chance I'll get to express mine if/when I'm one of those who will have to wait a little longer.  But to actually express anger over it would be akin to saying either:

I am more deserving of one of the first batch than some other person who took mine, or
The Foundation should have gambled more of their own personal assets in order to ensure that I could get my board sooner.

I have no time for either such expression of selfishness.

Lynbarn

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:52 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

But to actually express anger over it would be akin to saying either:

I am more deserving of one of the first batch than some other person who took mine, or
The Foundation should have gambled more of their own personal assets in order to ensure that I could get my board sooner.

I have no time for either such expression of selfishness.

Nor, I'm sure, will the forum admins.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:07 pm

The problem is that people on online fora tend to be a little touchy - and often "read-in" things that may or may not be there.  What I'm saying is that there's just no way to know whether or not something untoward was intended in a(ny) forum/conference/whatever post, so, human nature being what it is, (at least some) people will assume the worst.  And all it takes is one person assuming the worst - and expressing said feeling in a post - to kick off a flame war.

For example, suppose someone posts "I'm so unhappy that I didn't get one".  Perfectly innocuous, I would say.  But someone, somewhere will interpret that to mean that the poster felt that he deserved one and was done wrong by the system.  And there we are.

Note incidentally that the poster would be right.  He does (did) deserver one, every bit as much as anyone else does (did).  But somehow, that little fact will get lost in the shuffle.

The above scenario is, of course, what we're all hoping doesn't happen, but I'm not so sure that it won't.

5+8 = 13 (last I checked)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Have to admit, the inevitable rage is something that I've been worrying about a bit - because you know whose inbox it's all going to end up in. I am not looking forward to it.

Ultimately, we have built as many as we could for this first batch, funds allowing. Those funds come (as has been pointed out) out of our own pockets; we have other pretty significant costs like lawyers' fees (there are a lot of contracts involved here), indemnification against patent trolls (yes, you can actually buy insurance for that sort of thing), and so on. Given that it's my house that's on the line here, I'm sure you understand that we feel a need to be reasonably cautious!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”