mgmt_idiot

Re: Old RiscOS 3.x software

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 am

For 20 years, I’ve carefully preserved my old RiscOS 3.x software (C, Assembler, WIMP generator, and various office productivity applications). But haven’t used my A5000 since 1996.

What are the odds of being able to get it going under RiscOS in a RasPi? Mostly for nostalgia of course.  Anything serious I’d be doing on Fedora.

billio

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:09 am

I was thinking whether it was possible to put a Raspberry Pi inside an old Acorn computer - in my case it was a StrongArm RiscPC - and finding a way of using them both at the same time with VNC or something similar running through an ethernet connection. Would this allow you to use the old software on one and new software on the other.

I am looking forward to running Risc OS on the Raspberry Pi to see if any of the Acorn Risc OS software I wrote will run on that version of Risc OS, hopefully with a significant speed increase.

mgmt_idiot

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I was kinda hoping to actually run the ARM3 RiscOS software on the RasPi.

Unfortunately the A5000 just boots to the * prompt these days. Once upon a time I knew how to fix this when it happened so I could go to the GUI, but 15 years later I've simply forgotten.

I can't wait to try to play Interdictor on a RasPi. There was no timing built into the software which was written for ARM2, and on an ARM3 the aircraft was barely controllable. On a RasPi I would expect to crash the aircraft into the ground in a matter of milliseconds

1aws

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 pm

mgmt_idiot said:

Unfortunately the A5000 just boots to the * prompt these days. Once upon a time I knew how to fix this when it happened so I could go to the GUI, but 15 years later I've simply forgotten.

Does DESK. <return> after the * prompt not take you into the desktop. Been a long time since I did that but I think that was the command.

Alchemy

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Looking forward to playing with RiscOS. But will use Linux for actual work.

The no boot sounds like you lost settings because the battery gave up. Its something like !boot or *run !boot. Without a battery *opt 4,2 will be *opt 4,0 = no boot.

Well that is what I think. Too many years without running mine.

kbootb

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:44 am

mgmt_idiot said:

I was kinda hoping to actually run the ARM3 RiscOS software on the RasPi.

I seem to remember holding down R (or was it DELETE) during power up if the battery had died.

mgmt_idiot

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give them a try on Saturday morning.

mgmt_idiot

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

OK, so I couldn't wait...

Does DESK. <return> after the * prompt not take you into the desktop. Been a long time since I did that but I think that was the command.

The no boot sounds like you lost settings because the battery gave up. Its something
like !boot or *run !boot. Without a battery *opt 4,2 will be *opt 4,0 = no boot.

I seem to remember holding down R (or was it DELETE) during power up if the battery had died.

Tried them all. Mostly the * prompt returned "File not found". For the "opt" commands, it returned "No selected filing system". I've a feeling it may be HDD failure.

I'm not really that bothered about getting the A5000 up and running again since I know I can do a RasPi with a current version RiscOS and a development environment.

Can anyone answer my original question (I'll rephrase): What are the odds of being able to get my 20 year old RiscOS3, ARM3 software going on a current RiscOS RasPi ?

1aws

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:36 pm

What are the odds of being able to get my 20 year old RiscOS3, ARM3 software going on a current RiscOS RasPi ?

I, too, have been away from RISCOS scene for a long time now. I suspect your odds are very low. Programs then were compiled for 26bit arcitecture of the ARM chips at the time. Modern ARM chips are either 32bit or 64bit. The newer RISCOS' have been compiled for the 32bit arcitecture. I believe there is a program that will emulate a 26 bit environment. It is not, however, free software. I think it is called ARMULATE; or something like that. The best place to go for advice is the RiscOS forums at:

http://www.riscosopen.org/forum

Hope this has been of some use.

Burngate

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:43 pm

If they're written in basic then they'll (probably, mostly) work.

If they have their own modules, which were written for 26 bit, they'll almost certainly not even attempt to run - the 32 bit OS checks for a "32 bit compatible" flag, and if it's not there (which it won't be, since it was invented after those modules were written) then an error is generated.

a good starting point is http://www.riscos.info/index.php/32bit

mgmt_idiot

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Since the main thing I want from RiscOS is still doable, i.e. Non-mainstream OS with C and ARM assembler, I'm happy.

Return to “General discussion”