MorgUK

Re: Raspberry Pi Packaging?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm just wondering what the Pi will be packaged in?

Will it be in an anti-static bag, placed inside a box? Will there be any artwork or just plain cardboard? Will it be in something sealed?

Thanks

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:10 am

I can't tell you at the moment - this is all wrapped up with the logistics/distribution network stuff that we're waiting for signed contracts and a couple of meetings on.

It tickles me that so many people are asking this kind of question; I don't think I've ever wondered what sort of packaging something I've ordered is going to be delivered in with a burning enough curiosity to start a forum thread about it!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Goggles2114

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:50 am

That's something i loved about the cr48 (and kinda wish continued with hte production chromebooks) Fun Packaging.

tzj

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:01 am

similar to the classic "self addressed envelope", you could have a system of customer-customised packaging, but of coarse that may have to be limited...
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

riggsre

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:04 am

I don't care how you package it as long as it's protected... unless you stuff it inside a dead fish. I don't think I would like that.

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 am

True. If it"s fish, I want mine alive, thanks.

a10112

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 am

Can't imagine the Raspberry Pi being in more than a static bag, sandwiched between soft foam and in a box. It's the way most of small footprint items I buy are packaged.

MegaGumbo

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 am

One could always place a Raspberry Pi sticker on any kind of boxing or envelope, if other options are too complicated or expensive. It would be a nice thing to do, at least for the first batch of devices.

Mushroom_Lord

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 am

I think that they should be distributed by a Raspberry Pi automated Zeplin, which flies over your house and releases your order with a small parachute, allowing it to float gracefully onto your doorstep.

Burngate

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:48 am

I have this vision (not based in this reality)
Somewhere in wildest Tibet is a factory. In there is a PCB etching facility, and next to it is a pick'n'place robot.
Every morning, the wise and all-seeing Grasshopper toils up the mountain, USB stick in hand. He puts it in the appropriate place, and loads today's instructions.
And today, Lo! why today we're making Raspberry Pis!
And so, with due solemnity, the machinery grinds into action. Slowly at first, but with ever-increasing speed, first the boards are etched,then flux paste is spread, and the components are placed, until, one after another, our precious Pis are rolling off the assembly!
But, you may ask, what then? Surely the don't just fall in a heap, to be shovelled like snow into a black plastic bin bag?
No! For our trusty Grasshopper has forseen this! He has arranged a Packing Centre! As it is about to fall in to that unforetunate pile, our Pi is rescued by this heroic machine! Each precious Pi is placed ever so gently in its very own Cardboard Box! Protected thus from (almost) every adversity our modern world can throw at it, it now falls into said heap. At the end of the day, Grasshopper shovels them into a dozen black bin bags, and carries them down to the UPS depot, where especially bright pigeons pick them up and fly them off to Cambridge.

Lynbarn

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 am

Hmmm,

I'm looking forward to the first ten Raspberry Pi beta boxes/envelopes/anti-static bags/jiffy bags/packages appearing on eBay!

Lynbarn

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:56 am

Burngate said:

I have this vision (not based in this reality)
Somewhere in wildest Tibet is a factory. …

Burngate, are you due a holiday soon? I think you need one!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 am

Burngate said:

...where especially bright pigeons pick them up and fly them off to Cambridge.

Have you read RFC1149?

I fear that the pigeons may end up in the wrong Cambridge.....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

grumpyoldgit

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:22 am

I have to admit that, for something that does not yet have a case and so presumably not a designed box, it will come in a jiffy bag wrapped in some bubblewrap.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:10 pm

I bought a couple of switches once from a guy that imported them from Russia. They came in boxes that were unmistakably soviet-era cardboard. Fascinating.

The only reason I can think to want to know how the RaspPi is packed would be to know if it would go through the letterbox, or whether it was advisable to take a day off work.

flipdewaf

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 pm

rurwin said:

I bought a couple of switches once from a guy that imported them from Russia. They came in boxes that were unmistakably soviet-era cardboard. Fascinating.

The only reason I can think to want to know how the RaspPi is packed would be to know if it would go through the letterbox, or whether it was advisable to take a day off work.

What you need is the friendly posty who puts all the exciting packages in your shed!

Jongoleur

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:56 pm

rurwin said:

... They came in boxes that were unmistakably soviet-era cardboard.

I have a vision of slightly oily-looking waxy grey cardboard cartons, with a slight whiff of fish...

No.  The Pi's wouldn't, couldn't travel like that!

wrhii

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 pm

They will, of course, ship in a Pi Tin...  how else do you package a Pi?

o19

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:28 pm

The Arduino Uno actually comes in a very useful cardboard package, which has markers for cutting the connector holes already printed on it.

MorgUK

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 pm

liz said:

I can't tell you at the moment - this is all wrapped up with the logistics/distribution network stuff that we're waiting for signed contracts and a couple of meetings on.

It tickles me that so many people are asking this kind of question; I don't think I've ever wondered what sort of packaging something I've ordered is going to be delivered in with a burning enough curiosity to start a forum thread about it!

Ah OK I was asking because I would love to keep one boxed and sealed for collection purposes. Get it out of the attic in 40 years! (If there is no seal, then you can't prove it's not been used.) Obviously I would also get one for playing with too!

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:34 pm

o19 said:

The Arduino Uno actually comes in a very useful cardboard package, which has markers for cutting the connector holes already printed on it.

Not all - I've had two Unos recently. One came in the box with markings, stickers and a chatty note about supporting Arduino, the other on its own in a sealed anti-static bag.

o19

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Jongoleur said:

o19 said:

Not all - I've had two Unos recently. One came in the box with markings, stickers and a chatty note about supporting Arduino, the other on its own in a sealed anti-static bag.

However, great cheap box

Piw32

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I did not dare to start a fake thread "My Pi has arrived" when i found this picture :

Lynbarn

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Piw32 said:

I did not dare to start a fake thread "My Pi has arrived" when i found this picture :

Sorry Piw32, but somebody already seems to have bitten off the corners..

Piw32

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:25 am

My fault, those Pies are too yummy, 100% natural raspberry flavor !

Return to “General discussion”