hogar television

Re: hy guis!! a question can i install a windows xp version or windows mobil in this device??

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 am

am interested in a lot of your raspberry.. a little question can i install in a flash card  windows xp or windows mobil or unically linux???? thanks a lot for your answere!! andrew from bogota colombia!!

amiga65

Re: hy guis!! a question can i install a windows xp version or windows mobil in this device??

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:20 am

Hmmm Don't think that's been mentioned before, worth a try I guess.

Codyak

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:36 am

What did it say when you checked search?

TheEponymousBob

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:42 am

No. It is an ARM device, not x86, and currently only x86 versions of Windows exist. See the FAQ.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 am

I think the answer is "Yes.  You can install it."  There's certainly nothing stopping you from copying a bunch of files onto an SD card.

And it will work, for suitable values of "work"...
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

super-6-1

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:40 am

But... WIll it Run? that is the Question, if you read over the FAQ then that may give you a  idea... android can run on this ONLY if someone ports it over. Windows 8 tho will require a little more power...

EricMiddleton

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 am

TheEponymousBob said:

No. It is an ARM device, not x86, and currently only x86 versions of Windows exist. See the FAQ.

Windows Embedded OSes (such as Windows Mobile) and Windows Phone 7 support ARM. Getting them to run on the RPi, on the other hand, would probably cost a lot of money. Its probably not worth it.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:53 am

Eric Middleton said:

TheEponymousBob said:

Windows Embedded OSes (such as Windows Mobile) and Windows Phone 7 support ARM. Getting them to run on the RPi, on the other hand, would probably cost a lot of money. Its probably not worth it.

To implement a version of a Windows Embedded OS, you generally have to be working at the OEM level, either a manufacturer or hardware or a licencee for a particular platform.  The fees to Microsoft for the SDK are priced at that level and you need a comprehensive Microsoft toolchain to implement it.

I think the phrase is "Does Not Happen!!!"

If you really want the feel of a Microsoft OS at this level, have a look on eBay for Disgo 3000 or Allfine netbooks.  Disregarding processor speed, memory availability and rubbish IO facilities, thelack of updates, the inflexibility of the OS, the lack of control and inability to run any programming languages will mwke your brain squeak!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Webalistic

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am

Out of curiosity, are these ported OS-es ARM generic (like x86 will run on intels and amd's of various types and speeds) or ported for a very specific ARM processor?

I saw this article and was wondering if it would run on the Pi if it ever became a reality or need additional porting to the specific ARM?

Although personally I wouldn't be interested in putting a full GUI OS (as in windows/android/osx) on it. I already have a desktop, ipad and laptop for that sort of thing. Still curious about that though.
2*Pi+PiCam+GertBoard+lapdock=joy

tufty

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am

Largely generic, with specific code for the platform specific bits (what"s known as the Board Support Package or, more commonly, BSP)

spamel

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 am

I think the main question is "why would you want to?!"

Webalistic

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 am

As with many of these things, the answer would be 'because you can'.

Why would you cut holes in your pc case and mount neon inside? Will it run faster?

I've recently installed osx on an sd-card and my netbook will run it. Why? just to see if it would work. And yes it does. And no I'm not using it.

Not everything needs a sensible reason in my mind.
2*Pi+PiCam+GertBoard+lapdock=joy

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 am

spamel said:

I think the main question is "why would you want to?!"

The response to that is, of course, the "Mountaineers Answer", Because its there…

If other people have the facilities and the time to port the ARM version of Win Mobile or its cousins, then its up to them to give it a whack, but its unreasonable to expect support from the Foundation for an expensive and pointless option.    After all, they're producing a $25/$35 PC for a specific aim and anything that doesn't immediately contribute to the achievment of their goals must be ignored.

So, for hogar, who posted the original question, Win XP (or indeed any other OS that relies on an Intel x86 processor) won't work.  Putting the ARM version of Windows "Mobile" on the Pi would be very expensive in both money and time.  Versions of Linux for the ARM processor will work, especially the versions developed for the Raspberry Pi.  Have a look in the Distributions forum for further information.

Hope that summation is useful!

Edit for clarity and spelling.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

abishur

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm

There are a *ton* of threads discussing the possibility of getting Windows running on the r-pi.  XP is a definite no go (not ARM) Windows CE is a possibility if someone can bang out basic display driver, but you won't be able to use the the graphics acceleration and windows CE doesn't integrate as much as you might think with other versions of Windows.  Windows 8 is a definite no go.  Yes it has an ARM version but it has the following system requirements:

Storage: At least 10gb free space after the out-of-box experience completes
System firmware: UEFI
Networking: WLAN and Bluetooth 4.0 + LE (low energy)
Graphics: Direct3D 10 device w/ WDDM 1.2 driver
Resolution: 1366×768
Touch support: At least 5 touch points, must pass all tests
Camera: 720p
Ambient Light Sensor: 1-30k lux capable w/ dynamic range of 5-60K
Magnetometer
Accelerometer: 3 axes w/ data rates >= 50Hz
Gyroscope
USB 2.0: At least one controller and exposed port
Speakers

Plus 5 hardware buttons.  Oddly absent from these lists are minimum CPU speed but Wikipedia states that the specs for x86/x64 CPUs is 1000 mHz.  So not only will the r-pi not be fast enough to run Windows 8, but it lacks most of the minimum hardware requirements!

Side note, since when does an OS *have* to have a light sensor?!  Come on Microsoft!

I'm closing this thread as there are a plenty of other open threads discussing Windows possibilities are the r-pi
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”