LeonidB

Made in UK

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 am

Anyone knows why some boards from RS have "Made in the UK" printed on them?
As I understand RS makes them in China, and only Farnell in the UK.

Examples:
Here:
http://gough.ath.cx/?page_id=11
And here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 81#p213081

pluggy

Re: Made in UK

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 am

I always understood the boards all had 'Made in the UK' screen printed on them and the Chinese factories put a sticker over it. It's maybe missing it's sticker.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

cosmo

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:47 pm

pluggy wrote:I always understood the boards all had 'Made in the UK' screen printed on them and the Chinese factories put a sticker over it. It's maybe missing it's sticker.
I have at least one that has 'Made in China' printed directly on the board, not a sticker.This one came from Allied. I can't check the other one right now, as it's in a case that needs to be unscrewed to get at. I can't remember if that one (from Element14) has a sticker or if it's printed directly.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:50 pm

RS have been getting so much bad publicity lately that they might even be sourcing them from Farnell. :-)

Maxion

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm

I recently (last week) got a Pi from element14 that's missing the made in china sticker. It's also not got the holes filled with solder so I guess it's a legit UK pi.

Jim JKla

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

All of the early ones were made in China it took a while for Farnell to set up Swansea. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

LeonidB

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:57 pm

The one I have, from RS, has a sticker with "Made in China" on it.
Never bothered to check what's under it.
If the recent boards from RS are labeled "Made in the UK", while they are being made in China, (which seems to be the case) that's problematic. To say the least.

Jim JKla

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I checked with my local Maplins, the guys say their boards in the kits are sourced from RS and are now the 512 Chinese ones. ;)

just a point of information.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

pluggy

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm

cosmo wrote:
pluggy wrote:I always understood the boards all had 'Made in the UK' screen printed on them and the Chinese factories put a sticker over it. It's maybe missing it's sticker.
I have at least one that has 'Made in China' printed directly on the board, not a sticker.This one came from Allied. I can't check the other one right now, as it's in a case that needs to be unscrewed to get at. I can't remember if that one (from Element14) has a sticker or if it's printed directly.
I have but its an old USB polyfuse job. I'll take it you have a recent one and its directly printed. - Append to mental history of Pi.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

cosmo

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 pm

pluggy wrote:
cosmo wrote:
I have but its an old USB polyfuse job. I'll take it you have a recent one and its directly printed. - Append to mental history of Pi.....
Yes, both of mine are recent. The one from Allied was ordered early November, arrived Christmas Eve, the other one was ordered and recieved the first week of December.

Return to “General discussion”