cosmo

Wireless keyboard/mouse - WIFI capable?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any keyboard/mouse combinations which can work over a WIFI connection?

I am using an Edimax WIFI adaptor, and would like to be able to use that to connect with a keyboard if that was in any way possible (don't know if the technologies can be made to work together or not). I have seen some mouses which are labeled as WIFI (instead of just wireless), but not keyboards. And even those I'm not sure work the way I am asking about. Essentially, what I want to do is use a single WIFI dongle both for network connection as well as keyboard control.

Is such a thing even possible?

cyrano

Re: Wireless keyboard/mouse - WIFI capable?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Never seen one...

Cloudcentric

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm

I was under the impression that wireless keyboard and mouse were either Bluetooth or RF !
I know everything about nothing"

cosmo

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Cloudcentric wrote:I was under the impression that wireless keyboard and mouse were either Bluetooth or RF !
I figured that the technologies probably weren't the same (some are probably mislabled wireless), but I have seen items listed as 'WIFI' which seem to be what I am asking about, notably this mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-WiFi-Mouse/dp/B00556O4YC

From what I read, it uses the computer's existing WIFI (under Windows 7):
...The HP Wi-Fi Mobile Mouse works without a USB adapter, so you can free up your computer’s USB ports for other devices...
Can't say for sure if something like this would even work on a RPi, but I figured if there were mice available, there might be a true 'WIFI' keyboard as well. Whether or not there are, or if they could work with RPI is another story, of course.

cyrano

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Well, well. Now I've seen one.

Have you read the reviews? Works well, but only on Windows 7. It's not a standard mouse (USB HID device) and I doubt sincerely HP will supply a driver for the Raspberry.

One of the reviewers seems to run this mouse over Wifi alongside a BT keyboard. I assume pairing a second device was too hard?

stevech

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 am

You won't see a WiFi keyboard or mouse in consumer-land... too much battery consumption and too expensive since WiFi is no less than 20MHz of bandwidth. Non-bluetooth keyboard/mouse uses $0.30 RF chip - often transmit-only, and runs about 10KHz bandwidth (that's 0.010MHz). In RF, narrower the bandwidth, cheaper the radio (in general), and much weaker signal is tolerated.

Return to “General discussion”