Paul Webster

Re: Increase number of entries in RSS feed

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:17 pm

The RSS Feed currently delivers only the last 15 posts.

I do most of my reading via Google Groups - but it polls once every 3 hours - which means that some stuff is missed.

Any chance of increasing the feed size - I realise that this would increase the load on the server and possibly lead to more database access errors so can understand if the answer is no.

Also the minimum search word length is currently 4 ... how about making it 3? Then I could have searched for "RSS" to see if anyone else had requested this.

scep

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Paul Webster said:

Also the minimum search word length is currently 4 ... how about making it 3? Then I could have searched for "RSS" to see if anyone else had requested this.
Stick a wildcard after the TLA e.g. rss*

Paul Webster

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:10 pm

While adding * after it gets it past the minimum length test - it doesn't result in anything being found - even this thread.

arm2

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Paul Webster said:

While adding * after it gets it past the minimum length test - it doesn't result in anything being found - even this thread.

Yes the use of a * after a three letter word/acronym only works if someone in the thread has written a word with the three letters at the start of a word RSSfeed or quoted something like ...rypi.org/?feed=rss2

So if you are talking about something of only three letters always quote it with an extra character, say x e.g. (VGAx included so you can get round the minimum four letter search limitation with VGA*) It would be useful if this was included in a 'How to use the Forums FAQ' other two/three letter thing searched for: RTC, RCA, USB, 3v3, 5V, ADC, DAC, PCB ...

Prometheus

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Paul Webster said:

In such cases, it's probably better to use Google, with the text site:raspberrypi.org/forum/ preceding the search terms.

scep

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Paul Webster said:

While adding * after it gets it past the minimum length test – it doesn't result in anything being found – even this thread.

A search for "rss*" finds four threads, including this one.

arm2 is right, it doesn't pick up trailing spaces like I thought. In which case you could try  Prometheus' useful solution (as long as it's not RSS or any other term which appears on every page as part of the infrastructure )

Jessie

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:56 am

Searching 3 character or less strings.

Go to google.com.  Put in your search then site:raspberrypi.org.  done.  Examples.

PCB site:raspberrypi.org

PSU site:raspberrypi.org

Paul Webster

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 am

A search for "rss*" finds four threads, including this one.

This one turns up now because someone subsequently put "RSSFeed" in the text – and I didn"t find the other 3 when I tried it because I forgot to change the default search from within a sub-forum to include all sections.

Using Google by site is OK – but cumbersome – but happy to go that way if changing 4 to 3 is not done.

Also – just to make sure it is not lost in the discussion – my main request is to ask for the number of entries in RSS feed to be increased from 15.

Paul Webster

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:55 pm

Now that the forum is running on a more powerful machine ... can you increase the number of entries in RSS feed from 15 (especially as the now busier forum means that stuff disappears from RSS much more quickly)?

Return to “General discussion”