Quote from gbulmer on September 29, 2011, 18:20
Is there any documentation available to us for the Broadcom SoC?
I have followed the wiki's link to the Broadcom BCM2835 media processor, and found no documentation there.
I've skimmed this thread and not spotted anything here either. I apologise if I have missed it. Any pointers would be gratefully accepted.
I'd like to understand the capability of the General Purpose Input/Output (GPIO), I2C, I2S, SPI.
- what is the SoC's I2S specification?
- what is the SoC's I2C specification?
- the wiki says "We support one slave interface for I2C...", does that mean it is hard-wired and hence their is always one I2C configured as a slave, or does it mean a maximum of one I2C can be used as a slave, but it is configurable, or something else?
- what is the SoC's SPI specification?
- the wiki says "one slave interface for ... SPI", does this mean one 'slave select' is part of that SPI interface, or is one of the 16 GPIO's a 'slave select', or is that handled in software, or something else?
- what is the SoC's GPIO specification? Are all the GPIO's in a single port, and hence could be read/written simultaneously?
The documentation for most of that stuff is currently being written. There are some issues to do with GPIO sharing etc that are still to be decided.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."